Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tarifa in June

Postby ChickenTikka » Mon May 23, 2011 9:11 am

My girlfriend and I are headed there on June 8th.

I Had a few questions:

1. is there any reason not to fly via Gibraltar? I'll be coming via London and can jag a free ticket on BA.

2 girlfriend is still learning and has requested less wavy. Are waves not that big this time of year south of the dunes as I have read or are they still big enough to scare a beginner?

3. Whats a good beginner beach?

4. I near theft is an issue. Any comments appreciated.

5. Where to go for night life aside from old town.

6. What else is there to do and see nearby. Im reading 60% chance of 4 force or greater so expecting some off days. What's tangier like? Is Gibraltar worth the visit, if I don't fly through it?

Ta

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Mon May 23, 2011 9:56 am

Here's some answers to your questions - all of which I've asked myself in the past:

1. Definitely fly through Gibralter as its only 40 minutes max from Tarifa, where as Malaga can be 2 hours if the traffic is bad. BUT if you are hiring a car look online for hire companies that are based in Spain, just outside outside the Gib border - driving in and out of Gibraltar can take forever as there is always a traffic queue a mile or two long. The airport is literately 5 minutes walk from the border.

2. Waves depend on a couple of things, mainly whether its Poniente wind (cross onshore from the right, across the whole bay) or Levante which is offshore from the left, in town but cross shore at the far end of the bay. Its been blowing Levante for over 20 days straight now and we've had little or no waves at all. The one Poniente day had some small waves but really only 1 foot or so on the inside, if you do get this she can body drag out pass them and then its all good. Alternatively there is a lagoon, which is dead flat and ideal but it can get busy if it is the right conditions but due to the nature of the Spanish culture just get down the beach early and the beaches are generally alot quieter, especially on the weekends when everyone is up drinking until the early morning!

3. Poiente - just look for the beach where there is space - probably further away from town up towards the dunes as the wind will be more cross shore, which always helps beginners! Levante always just head to the far set of beaches - the furthest beach is probably best for beginners as its wider and the wind a little cleaner, but the Spin out center or Valdevaqueros are great places to chill and watch the action (ie, when your girlfriend gets tired and wants to sit and sunbathe whilst you carry on riding!).

4. It can be, but more so at high season. Just ensure if you leave stuff in the car its not visible and in a closed boot. Weekends are busy but there are loads of parking attendants now so that helps. Hasn't been a problem since we've been here the last few weeks.

5. Not sure about that really, the old town has alot of restaurants and after 11/12, its where everyone goes to drink and party, generally in the streets until about 3 then on to the clubs. There are a few places on the front down towards the football stadium - Sushi at Surla is amazing (and the breakfasts and lunches are pretty awesome too).

6. Probably windier more than 60% but you will get days when its probably too windy to kite in tarifa so you either do something else or look for other lighter wind sports (Canos de Maca, Los Palmones or Getares) - for non wind activities, visiting Vejer de la Frontera (the White City) is worthwhile - old town out on a hit top, nice to wander round and good tapas! We did a day trip to Tangers this week and its was excellent, take the ferry from Tarifa port (www.frs.es), if you go drop me a message and I can recommend a really great guide - we were just gonna wing it ourselves but we would of got lost and wasted so much time, instead Morit was amazing and showed us some much amazing stuff. I haven't been to Gibraltar for several years but my memories are of it been pretty naff, but if you're desperate for something to do could be worthwhile. Hiring SUPs is pretty popular lightwind activity. Unfortunately I'm not great on the no wind activities, I leave that to the wife ;-)

Hope that helps :-) We're heading back home on the 2nd June, but you'll have a great time, this is my 7th time in Tarifa and it never disappoints!

------------------------------------
Rob
Progression Sports
www.progression.me

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate

Postby ChickenTikka » Mon May 23, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks for taking the time to write that rob, thats excellent intel.

Are you the voice on the Progressions DVD? If so, I feel like I know you already. I've listened to your voice for hours maybe days even.

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137

Postby robclaisse » Mon May 23, 2011 11:53 am

ha ha, yes I am "The Voice", thought not sure listening to my voice for days on end is good for anyone ;-)

Glad you like the DVDs (or assume you do seeing as you've watched them that much!), gonna have loads more online content coming out soon from this filming trip.

What are you gonna be learning on your Tarifa trip? Any extra video content that we could put together to get you inspired to try something new?

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate

Postby ChickenTikka » Mon May 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Nice, I should have you autograph my dvd.

I've just mastered the majority of the intermediate dvd. I'm gearing up for the advanced this summer. It will be with me in Tarifa.

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate

Postby ChickenTikka » Tue May 24, 2011 1:41 pm

Ok flights booked, flying into Gibraltar. Anyone know if I should book my car in advance or if I am better off not?

I'll do the suggested thing of renting over the line in Spain.

el_guestos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Kite School in Tarifa

Postby el_guestos » Tue May 24, 2011 2:24 pm

I'd rent it before you come, the car hire places in La Linea can get pretty busy as Gib is becoming a more and more popular airport to fly into. I know Auriga Crown do a pretty good deal, but car hire in Spain is CHEAP.

Another great spot to look at for learning for your GF is Palmones off to the East, bit tricky to find but its got great cross shore winds, stays fairly flat and often works great for a 12m when Tarifa is blown out. Its even got a little lagoon you can use to teach waterstarting basics...beware it gets an bit boggy towards the back.

M_Mati
Rare Poster

Postby M_Mati » Tue May 24, 2011 11:34 pm

which spots are the best for freestyle? I mean flat water.

Do they close some beaches for kitesurfers in June?

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137

Postby robclaisse » Wed May 25, 2011 12:06 am

The Lagoon is great and works best in Poniente but can work in Levante - its really flat so good for doing unhooked tricks.

Palmones is also good, as el_guestos said and in the river month the water is pretty flat.

Any kiting on the sea is always gonna be a bit choppy and when its Poniente there will be small waves on the inside - great for kickers!

I don't think any beaches are closed in June.

el_guestos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Kite School in Tarifa

Postby el_guestos » Wed May 25, 2011 8:32 am

I'm not entirely sure this year when the zoning comes into effect, it's supposed to be the 16th June, but last year as the beaches were so quiet the zoning didn't happen until 16th July. Once the zoning is in place however kiting in a levante off Los Lances beach becomes possible (offshore) because of the 3 safety boats that patrol the beach. This means you've got flat water and if you drop your kite these guys will come and pick you up...make sure you buy a rescue ticket from one of the local shops or it can get pricey. As not many people know about this it's generally pretty empty down there.

The locals are saying that this year is going to be a levante year (something to do with which side of the nest the bees make the door on!) and its been blowing solid down here for the last month, so I would imagine there's plenty of of opportunities for flat water riding in Tarifa this summer.

Return to “Travel”