Boardbag sizes and Airlines

Forum for kitesurfers
Vangelis
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Vangelis » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:35 am

I've traveled in the past with Hawaian airlines carrying my Bora F1 bag (198cm long) and after long negotiations about my "water skis" I didn't pay the $80 fee. On the inbound though the Hawaians knew all the tricks.
United last time gave me another story. If it's more than 174cm perimeter then it's oversized.
Any ideas on Continental going to Cabarete?
I guess I could call them up and ask anyway but any experiences to share would be apreciated..... and no the Bora bag could not pass as golf clubs.

Marina if you need anything from the mainland let me know.

Cheers to all,
Vangelis

jever98
Frequent Poster

Postby jever98 » Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:25 am

It might even pay to sell your longer board, get a shorter one and save on the extra airline cost ?!

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:00 pm

Hi Vangelis,

I thought you were flying American? You will have a big hassle with continental with a board bag. Even Cont. employees who come vacation here have a hard time as they have an oversized luggage embargo. If you beg and wheedle, you might be able to get it on for $50-$100 each way. If it's heavy and loaded with other equipment, you will have even a harder time. American is okay if you tell them it's a wakeboard or kites. Sometimes they get you, sometimes they don't. RE: stuff to bring, my girlfriend in Cow Hollow area is getting me a yoga mat and tape. Also a bunch of seam rippers for our kite repair. Would it be possible for you to bring this stuff over?

Marina

Vangelis
Medium Poster

Postby Vangelis » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:59 pm

I am thinking of stuffing 2 X-shooters on a 150 wakeboarding bag with a couple of kites around them, and the rest of the gear on my luggage. That Bora bag is a beast.
Hopefully Continental won't complain.
No problem with your personal stuff. Send me an email with your friend's details.
Ciao.

Moni
Rare Poster

Postby Moni » Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:57 pm

I have been pondering this problem too. I have had to pay for each leg of a trip (two different airlines)each way. I got charged $50 Surf board charge for my twin tip even though I told them I did not have a surf board (Hawaiian airlines). I'm thinking a two piece travel board would be nice. Then we could avoid all the travel charges. I was hoping to fit my gear in a golf bag too. On my last trip my board bag was smaller than some of the golf bags that were checked for free. Another trick is to use a porter. Sometimes they can get your gear checked with no fees, but not always.

Moni

Return to “Kitesurfing”