Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Hesh
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Iceland Kitesurfing & Surfing

Postby Hesh » Thu May 26, 2011 3:30 am

Hey, I'm going to be in Iceland this summer and was hoping to do some surfing and kitesurfing. I was wondering if anyone who has been in the Icelandic waters might be able to tell me what thickness wetsuit kept them comfortable. Also, if anyone knows of a possible surf shop in Iceland or anywhere in Iceland I could pick up a used surf board for while I'm there, please let me know :)

Thanks,
Hesh

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Iceland Kitesurfing & Surfing

Postby Toby » Thu May 26, 2011 7:26 am

now that's gonna be cooooold! Wear a drysuit I guess!
See what they write here: http://locations.splocs.com/kitesurf/co ... eland.html

And if you find any new location for kitesurf or surf, pls upload the info to that site!

Have a great trip!

geir
Medium Poster

Postby geir » Thu May 26, 2011 12:11 pm

5/3mm wetsuit is fine. At least that's what I was wearing yesterday. It's pretty cold these days but during summertime that's what we always use. I just bring out the drysuit for wintertime sessions.

There's only 1 or 2 guys selling surfboards/kitegear and they don't really keep stock. So bring your kitegear but maybe there some chance of borrowing a surfboard for your stay. Try e-mailing surfATsurfDOTis Thats a school with ties to a shop selling surfboards.

Funny thing is that surfing is a bigger sport in Iceland. The active local kitecrowd counts only about 3-4 persons.

Just keep in touch. I'll point you in the right directions. (kitesurf spots etc.)

Geir

geir
Medium Poster

Postby geir » Thu May 26, 2011 12:40 pm

mwuahaha, what a load of rubbish. Those two places linked to above are lagoons that fall out from Vatnajökull glacier that just erupted (ohhh...well a volcano underneath the glacier, just like Eyjafjallajökull that caused all the problems last year). On a normal day those are just turists attractions (pretty to look at).

I've heard of guys kitesurfing there (foreigners, not locals) and doing jetskiing (those were locals). But lets face it, how much fun can it be kitesurfing in between iceburgs. That's just for cool photos and trying to make the country look like Greenland which it isn't, it's just a normal country, ok with some cool glaciers and lava formation landscapes but has really cool normal kitebeaches just like any other country (most with black sand, some with white).

Hesh
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Hesh » Mon May 30, 2011 4:39 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help :)

Return to “Travel”