Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tofino, Nitinaht
Gear: OR, Liquid Force
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Vancouver Islander out on the Canadian West Coast

Postby Ni » Fri May 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Hi :bye: ,
My name's Nimai and I'm not quite a rider yet, but I have wanted for ages to be getting into it. I am about to be moving back to Vancouver Island from Vancouver. Our hot spots here are Nitinaht Lake, Goose Spit, and Tofino, as well as a couple of secret spots :) .

I spent a bit of time at Airtime here in Vancouver yesterday, and tried on a few harnesses. I'm hoping to go for some lessons this summer, soon as I get a job and settle in.

I am half South Indian (from Malaysia) and half Irish/Ukrainian descent (no, I don't speak any of those, only English and French). I've been flying deltas and foils since I was about 13. Some kids got me into it, and gave me my first dual line kite. I'm 22 now, and pretty damn good with 'em. A couple of years ago, I was reading about what things people do with kites, and stumbled across kiteboarding, and became hooked.

The only other somewhat significant sports I have are biking, as I do a lot of it, and running. I can see kiteboarding becoming my life, though. Everything will revolve around watching the weather, and finding new locales. And that's fine by me!

I'm pretty excited to be getting into it, and it seems like the forums will be one of my best resources, as well as a good chill zone when the wind is down.
Cheers!

angelinversace
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rotary Beach, Kelowna B.C.
Favorite Beaches: Squamish Spit, Cabarete, Rotary Beach
Style: Old school, Wakestyle, freestyle
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Vancouver Islander out on the Canadian West Coast

Postby angelinversace » Fri May 27, 2011 11:29 pm

So ok. What does this mean other then what u said? are u looking for a date? why post what u said on a forum. did u want us to congradulate u on thinking your going to love this sport?

My bad, i just really don't get it.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri May 27, 2011 11:47 pm

angelinversace wrote:So ok. What does this mean other then what u said? are u looking for a date? why post what u said on a forum. did u want us to congradulate u on thinking your going to love this sport?

My bad, i just really don't get it.
Damn angelin... a bit harsh on the newbs don't you think?

Ni, don't pay any attention to that last post, someone apparently got a bad start to the day. If you are in the BC area you will want to get on Big Wave Daves website http://www.bigwavedave.ca/
People there have excellent knowledge of the local spots and schools. If you ever end up at Port Alberni, check out Wild West Watersports please say hello from Pete to Sandra and Rob.

Welcome to the KF

Pete

Ni
Rare Poster

Postby Ni » Fri May 27, 2011 11:56 pm

angelin - Isn't the newcomer's forum meant for posting a bit about yourself if you're a newcomer?

Pete - Cool man! Will do. I've visited Big Wave Dave's site a couple of times, and I'll be heading to Port Alberni very soon.

angelinversace
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Rotary Beach, Kelowna B.C.
Favorite Beaches: Squamish Spit, Cabarete, Rotary Beach
Style: Old school, Wakestyle, freestyle
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby angelinversace » Sat May 28, 2011 12:18 am

Hahaha i was just giving you a hard time seeing if u had a sense of humor like mine. I guess it wasn't as obvious as i though. Anyways if you are looking for info about the island and spots. Get on kiteboardbc.com that is where u will find most info about where u wanna kite. There is a great post about tofino u will wanna check out. And if u hang out at Airtime make sure u buy something off that shistey french bastard, just kidding. Phillipe is an awesome dude. Good luck on your new journey :)

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Sat May 28, 2011 2:47 am

Hey Ni,

Where on the island are you? There's a few of us likely heading to Port Renfrew from Victoria tomorrow. Should be a decent mix of wind and waves. The wind is not as strong as Nitinaht but I would argue that it is even more beautiful.

Nitinaht is a great place to learn in addition to the crew up in Port Alberni. ElevationKiteboarding.com and StrongKiteboarding.com is where you can learn more about lessons at the Nat.

BigWaveDave.ca is the source for local island info and wind forecast.

Welcome back to the island Nimai.

For anyone reading this and wondering what the West Coast of Canada is like, the following video has a great vibe and is mainly shot in Squamish, Vancouver, and Nitnaht, BC.http://vimeo.com/13081864

Ni
Rare Poster

Postby Ni » Sat May 28, 2011 6:54 am

Angelin - No worries, I can play along! The question is Are _you_ looking for a date? I can make it look like I am, but I'm afraid yer not my type. Sorry bud.

But yeah, Phillipe? He's a good guy, I'll probably be buying a harness and a used kite off of them.
whabbits wrote:Hey Ni,

Where on the island are you? There's a few of us likely heading to Port Renfrew from Victoria tomorrow. Should be a decent mix of wind and waves. The wind is not as strong as Nitinaht but I would argue that it is even more beautiful.
Whabbits - Aww... what? I would totally be up for this, except I am just moving back tomorrow! I'll be in the Parksville/Qualicum area, though (and without a car as of yet, maybe also getting one tomorrow). I'm not exactly on your way... How long are you guys gonna be in Port Renfrew?

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Mon May 30, 2011 7:24 am

We are still figuring out Renfrew. We got skunked yesterday. What I think will work there is the temp differential between Lake Cowichan and Renfrew. We thought it was going to be good yesterday but then some lousy weather rolled in.

You should consider coming to Tall Tree Music Festival, June 24-25, in Renfrew. We checked out the festival site yesterday, it is atop a small mountain overlooking the bay and river. Bald eagles were soaring beneath us!

Up your way you will want to get some fat water sessions in at Goose Spit and then also Nimpkish.

Ni
Rare Poster

Postby Ni » Tue May 31, 2011 8:14 pm

I was already thinking about going to that. The last time I was in Tofino, Jets Overhead were playing, and I wasn't able to hang around to catch it (had to head back to Van). There are a couple other bands I was curious about on that lineup, too.

Also, I'm about a stone's throw from the ocean, a kite spot, and a park where I can practice on land. Nimpkish is nearer Port Hardy (ie: a hefty 280km on the dial from where I am). For now, that's a little out of my range. I definitely can do Goose Spit, though as I'm in Courtenay at least once a month.

Too bad for Renfrew. Do you think you guys will get back up there as it passes?

Return to “Kitesurfing”