Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Yesterday I had an accident with the raceboard ...

Forum for kitesurfers
oliver vlc
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Valencia and La Manga, Spain.
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa with West wind.
Style: old-school
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Yesterday I had an accident with the raceboard ...

Postby oliver vlc » Tue May 31, 2011 1:40 pm

...that at times I ponder whether to continue practicing.

In a jibe, I slide with the bad luck that the board turned and I fell heavily on the fins which had been vertical up. (quad fins 30-28cm)

In the moments before impact I thought the worst because it went directly against them. A heavily impacted me in the side of the ribs. In those moments just felt pain. I do not know if the fin had come to nailing. With the neoprene and water, did not see that happening on the inside. But it hurt me a lot.

Was about 100 meters from the shore and let the kite drag me out.

I took off the wetsuit and fortunately I had not nailed, it was only a big hit and I made a big inflamation on the side.

I did not know if I would have broken a rib, but luckily not today, I'm better. Although it still hurts quite the area.

I think we all when we see the big fin bearing raceboards, we believe the fins may be scary and dangerous, but hey, it is very difficult for you to go to fall just above them, well, it's hard but it can happen in when you least expect it.

Mainly in the Spanish forum, I have told how good I've had so far when there is little wind and I can enjoy the sea to the raceboard, etc ... and also I had to tell this. As raceboards are evolving, the fins not only look dangerous, they are.

Yesterday I was lucky, and neoprene protected me enough.
Each time you navigate from now on I will wear impact resistant vest. I'll take it in stride.

Now I wonder: Is it right to the path they have taken the race tables? Can not find a safer design where you do not have to carry swords under the table?

Who cares if you lose upwind angle? "The important thing is to have fun and compete in a safe, no?

I was just bad luck? or there is a high probability of an accident with the fins but as we are still a few racers, there are few accidents?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Yesterday I had an accident with the raceboard ...

Postby Toby » Tue May 31, 2011 1:47 pm

good to hear you are alright.

Maybe the race as it is now is history one day...with the raceboards we are loosing the charm of kiting and it smaller travel bags...looks like the downwind races like kite cross are happening more often...looks like a format for twintips...

Future knows!

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Tue May 31, 2011 2:08 pm

"SWORDS UNDER THE TABLE"....NICELY STATED

I would add: "Cheese cutters above"

Racing...not for the 'faint of heart'

Afro
Medium Poster

Postby Afro » Tue May 31, 2011 2:40 pm

maybe these would help?

viewtopic.php?t=2370522&p=700579

or something based on that design

chipmunk
Frequent Poster

Postby chipmunk » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:50 pm

So last week Mate :lol:
Made this 18 months ago but before I had chance to test it I had a bad wipe-out and had to have a rotator cuff operation which has not gone well
But I will get there and test it out soon.

laroyboards
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mission beach san diego
Favorite Beaches: San Quintin Baja Mexico
Style: freeride
Gear: Wainman kites Best Kahona kites and my boards

Postby laroyboards » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:23 pm

i personaly think that the future in these boards is with the freerace boards because most people are not going to race they just want the early plaining ability and up wind these two things can be done with a freerace board the fins are smaller and slanted to the rear and are much more user friendly i ride a board with 2 fins slightly slanted to the rear but more importantly they are at the rear of the board i hope this helps u make a smart choice

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:28 am

yo chipmonk super keen to know how it works - is it foiled to give lift?

laroyboards
Rare Poster
Local Beach: mission beach san diego
Favorite Beaches: San Quintin Baja Mexico
Style: freeride
Gear: Wainman kites Best Kahona kites and my boards

Postby laroyboards » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:45 pm

i have had more than a few friends worry about those front fins if the board were to roll over now the question is why would it roll over probably because u have not learned to handle the lift of all those fins . this comes with time so rather than putting yourself at risk here is what i would sugest take the front fins off just use the rear u will lose a little up wind but u will learn skills that will get u where u want to go or start out with a 2 fin freerace board i to have been pulled over those front fins but like most things u will master it good luck

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:25 am

Don't really see the point of racing against people with different kit unless you are really into kite development, but anyway... have just been sanding down my naish global surfboard fins as there is no doubt they would penetrate the skin with hard contact, 2 mins with some sandpaper and they will only bruise badly so waaay less time off the water.

damian
Rare Poster

Postby damian » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:39 am

Airush Sector 60 One Design! :thumb:

Get on the program because this is the way forwards for kite racing. The boards are fast, have huge bottom end, go upwind brilliantly with heaps of speed and control down wind, the fins are not too big and they are easy to ride! ad all of that together with the fact that Airush are saying that they will not change the boards design until (i think) the end of 2013 and they are heaps cheaper than most other race boards.

One design racing is so much more fun than open racing because it usually is a lot closer and comes down to who is the better racer and not who has the most $$$$$$

Return to “Kitesurfing”