Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Broke my board :(

Forum for kitesurfers
zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Broke my board :(

Postby zerogee_ca » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:16 am

Peter_Frank wrote:Did you ever jump with this board ? or did it simply break because of cutbacks where you pushed hard ?

I've seen some of the older Slingshot SRT boards break, without jumping - but they were very light, thin, and fragile (but good waveboards, loved riding those)

:thumb: Peter
Yes, I did the occasional aerial with this board (and every surfboard I owned). I don't think I ever broke a board from pushing hard on a cutback though, but I have sheared off the stainless footstrap screws on the rear foot twice before from pushing hard in cutbacks. That was cool.

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:09 am

Riding strapped at the time. The core appears to be a very dense, stiff, hard, PVC type of foam and goes rail to rail. The wood is solid but only caps the rail (with a layer of glass under it too) to give its final volume. Glass layup looks adequate.
Thanks :thumb: ,i thought the full rail of the board is wood,but only the top half.I'll probably reinforce mine with a couple of fiberglass layers under the front footstrap to strenght the zone and repair heel dents.

jmopd
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jmopd » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:10 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Did you ever jump with this board ? or did it simply break because of cutbacks where you pushed hard ?

I've seen some of the older Slingshot SRT boards break, without jumping - but they were very light, thin, and fragile (but good waveboards, loved riding those)

:thumb: Peter
Just like my brand new 2011 Wainman wave board, at the seconde time I used it, it broke. I was surfing, not jumping, maybe I was unlucky, or Wainman went to far reducing the weight and making the board too fragile.
:angryfire: :angryfire:

cabron
Frequent Poster

Postby cabron » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:12 am

oh no, what board was it and where did it break?

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:40 am

I broke mine today, wtf.... China made no good, where better when made in New Zealand.
Attachments
IMG_2699.JPG
IMG_2695.JPG
IMG_2693.JPG
IMG_2691.JPG

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:45 am

Zerogee check out our boards. They are made in North America and we have had a pro riding them for a few years now and have not had one come back yet. I see him doing kite loops over frisco peer in hatteras and all it had in it was a small heel dent. I can custom paint it to your likeings. www.jellyfishboards.com

Or email myself or at terrie@jellyfishboards.ca or jim@jellyfishboards.ca
Attachments
IMG_7221.JPG
_DSC3609.jpg

jmopd
Frequent Poster

Postby jmopd » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:24 pm

FabsPH wrote:I broke mine today, wtf.... China made no good, where better when made in New Zealand.
Is it a wainman, like mine?
Mine broke on the front.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:23 am

I think a new board is needed here. Check with Underground they may warranty it. If your going to jump a surf board then expect it to break. I broke 1 the second day I had it. Bad landing with too much speed. The company warrantied it. I don't jump as much now or as aggressive. Mainly to get over the break and that is limited cause I ride strapless. The new board looks brand new after a year except for some cracks in the gel coat from packing it in my car. Stupid small car :angryfire: .

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:22 am

I heard from a shaper that it is pretty common that boards that use the future fin system buckle around the fin box due to the long non-flexy fin box...the board will then get more pressure around the fun box.

I guess this comment is a more general comment on surfboards.

Al_Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Style: Surf
Gear: Wave SST 9m, 7m, 5m
Airush Converse 6'1'', FW EVO 5'3''

Postby Al_Kiter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:14 pm

zerogee_ca wrote:The core appears to be a very dense, stiff, hard, PVC type of foam and goes rail to rail. The wood is solid but only caps the rail (with a layer of glass under it too) to give its final volume. Glass layup looks adequate.
100_0970.JPG
that is certainly not PVC foam. PVC foam like Airex or Divinycell is very dense and you can hardly see the pores. That, unfortunately for you, is PU foam and yellow as it is, it's a really poor quality foam, probably insulation grade. Either that or it has been absorbing water for a long time and it's close to putrid. Those wood beams on the rails and the fiberglass were probably the only things holding the board together.

Return to “Kitesurfing”