All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kite for beginner
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:46 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi. I am new to this forum so I would like to introduce myself first.
I am 31 years old skier from Colorado and recently discovered the whole kiting thing.
I bought a HQ Scout II 3m to practice with and now feel like I need something much bigger.
I want to learn both kiteboarding and snowkiting but primarily use it on Colorado frozen lakes in the winter.
After doing some research online I think I want to get either older arc twinskin kite or a bow kite in a size of 12m or so. I think this size will allow me to learn kiteboarding and also will not be too big for snowkiting. Also I think the auto zenith feature on PL kites will be useful while I am learning to handle a bigger kite. If, however, I will not be able to find PL kite for under $500, I will go for a LEI bow kite.

Guys/ladies, I want to hear your opinion about my line of thought. Do you think I am making a right decision? Do you have any suggestions on a kite for a beginner that can be used both on water and on snow? (I am assuming that it will hit some hard pack snow on lakes many times while I am learning)?

I am currently looking at 3 kites: PL synergy 12m, Best Bularoo 13m, 2006 North Vegas 9m, but I am open for any other suggestions.

Best
Blueforest

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kite for beginner
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:57 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I have a 2009 ozone edge 13 I will sell for 600 dollars. Its in great condition.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:46 pm 
Rare Poster

id go for a flexifoil sabre or a flexifoil blade even though they are foil kites they are great for skiing especially the sabre as it is depower

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 4:42 pm 
Medium Poster

A PL arc will be near impossible to find under 500 but a LEI you will find all day long at 500.
ARC's are turning out to be very usefull inland kites , go to Powerkiteforum for a good source of PL users.
If your budget is really tight you cant go wrong with LEI , more of them, lots of used available, lots of new dealer leftovers , and if they can drag you thru the water they can drag you thru the snow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

i m still using a synergy 12 for snow and water in the Alps (gusty winds most of the time....)
i don t have many flat areas and the kite is good at kitelooping for climbing hills.i m selling mine and going to flysurfer ( the new unity), my elbows can t work those PL kites much anymore, i need a more park and ride kite... ( i won t say grandfather kite....), i might have some disapointment on the turning speed...but well.. i will see... :cry: :cry:

u can find many cheap LEIs. less handy on snow , good depower for gusty inland winds.
on my spot, a bunch of them blew out on ice shards and undersnow tree branch and barbwires tho. try to check one that have a good reinforced LE ( like the bularoo or else)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:14 pm 
Rare Poster

[quote="voodoospirit"]i m selling mine and going to flysurfer [quote/]
How much are you selling your synergy for?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 am 
Very Frequent Poster

i m in europe..pretty far from you :)
don t think it will be a good deal for u , between the US import tax, shipping....
400€ RTF.
not that i don t want to sell it, but u might have better deals on your continent :rollgrin:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:04 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Welcome!
You can still get Venom II 13 or Vortex 14 kites for a good price, if you're in the right place at the right time ...
Go over to powerkiteforum.com or arcusers.net for a more lively board with arc users ...

[ 8 posts ]