Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

wake style boards for women?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:38 pm

I am a woman who weighs around 120lbs and am a proficient kiter. I use a vulcan 11 with a dominatrix bottom now. I am looking to try a different type/brand board. I like the wake style boards. Are there any other custom shapers? Any boards with a stance made smaller for women? Any ideas would be great. Thanks :smile:

murdoc
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby murdoc » Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:25 pm

any wakeboard i've seen ... :smile:

wakes usually have more than one option to place the bindings and if you take the inner plugs, you should be fine ?

why do u wan another board?
whats up with the lewis?#

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:39 pm

Hey. Get a twin tip and leave the bindings on the beach. Then you'll be able to do all the tricks not just the wake style ones.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:16 am

Well... Lets just say I want to try a different board.. I love the board I am on but when it breaks.. I have a few "personal issues" and might not be able to purchace another one. There must be some other shapers out there.. who are not so sadistic. As far as trying a twin twip that sounds great as long as it is a very thin sharp railed board. The stance for women unfortunately has been to far.. to wide with the "options". I am about 5'6 and 1/2 and weigh only 120 or less. I like no more than 13 inches.. please don't take that wrong :smile: I love kiting and would just like to know of some other shapers or boards made to meet our needs(womens). We want to be a part of the kiting industry too. There are many women who rip and could do better if we had boards to meet our needs. Any info again would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:22 am

Just tried the new X-Shooter 133.
I guess that could be something for you.
I will try to get a picture for you.

Cheers
Toby

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:30 am

Try the RRD TT ASys 150. Small rides the same as a wake different foot positions and affordable and you can put your bindings straight on it if you want. E-mail me and I can give you the e-mail of a guy here selling a cheap used one.

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:32 pm

Hi am 130lbs and 5'6'. I ride a custom 145 board from Brunotti which will be available next year (production models). It weighs about 2lbs:-) I still think I could go a bit smaller. Eric Herstens in Cabarete has also been making small custom boards for the girls which have been working great and are also incredibily light. You might also consider the new Gaastra 142 (available Aug/Sept this year) or the slingshot 142 (already in production).

Marina
Kitexcite

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:25 pm

My wife is your weight and height. She rode a custom vulcan II with dominatrix bottom last fall. She also rode a vulcan I with plain bottom. I rode the same models at the same time, but bigger sizes.

We both thought the Vulcan II was worse than our Vulcan I. The board did not have good pop. It was too flexible and would slip in the tail when pressed hard.

My wife rode the Cabrinha Spolier 140 next. She liked that board much better, but it was a little heavy and maybe too thick. At high speeds it would float up on the thick rail and skip out. A custom Vulcan I would never have done that.

Next she bought the Underground 141 lunch tray made with binding inserts. This was the best wakeboard she had ever ridden. It did have enough binding inserts to give her the stance she needed. These boards are custom and they can make it anyway you want. The price is much cheaper than a custom Vulcan.

Today she (Jacky) rides the Underground 137 Wave Tray with binding mounts and full bindings. She likes this even better because we kite in the ocean a lot. In waves, the wave tray has no equal. It makes a square tail wakeboard seem obsolete.

I would suggest you try the wave tray if you kite in rough water or the sea. The pros switching to this board are many. They are made for straps or bindings. You specify which, when you order. Martin Vari, Dave Tyburski, Cindy Mosey, Sheldon Plentovich, are just a few of the big names switching to the wave tray.

If you still insist on a maui built custom. Look at http://www.aaboards.com or Empire kiteboards. Sorry I can’t find the empire web site link. They are on the web, but the boards are very expensive.

Dwight

jever98
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jever98 » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:41 pm

Dwight,

I heard so many good things about the wave trays.
What do you think their secret is? Do they have a special rocker line or something?

Also, what has always puzzled me on flip-up tip boards of any kind: Does the step not create an eddie current? I can hardly imagine that a 1-3 cm step is enough for the water to release cleanly. But then again, they do seem to work :smile:

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:54 pm

Adrian says the SB has the same rocker as the WT. So if you imagine a square tailed wakeboard (SB) and then add to it a flipped nose, you’ve got the WT.

Once that flipped end is added, the board rides completely different.

I rode my SB yesterday morning and then switched to my WT. The difference is fresh in my mind today. The square tail (SB) has a bite like feel in the back. The WT has a slippery scoot like feel. You get the impression the square tail bites, breaks, or slows the board in choppy water. Switching to the WT gives that immediate impression, because the WT is much faster. Almost like the tail of WT never bites, just scoots faster when pressed. Both boards hold their edge equally well. The WT is very secure and can handle huge power.

The step in the bottom shape does give a clean water release. You can see it in the water trail off the back.

Dwight

Return to “Kitesurfing”