Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ainsdale
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

5* resorts were you can kitesurf?

Postby stridgey10 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:05 pm

Looking for some advise?????

Im planning to go away with my girlfried for 2 weeks end of september begining of october. I would like to go to a 5*/4* resort were there is plenty of activities to do appart from kitesurfing (diving, exploring, other watersports)so my girlfriend doesnt get bored. I wanna go somewere that is not too crowded but has beautiful beaches, good food and is unspoilt. I am literally open to all suggestions and would love to hear of any amazing expeiences that people have had. I was thinking possibly Mexico or Bali????

Please help!!!!!

Waldo
Medium Poster

Re: 5* resorts were you can kitesurf?

Postby Waldo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:29 am

BeTulum.com, be sure not to miss Isla holbox when heading for the cancun area

stridgey10
Rare Poster

Postby stridgey10 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Just checked betulum.com and the hotel and resort look amazing, just what im looking for. Only problem is october is a the middle of hurricane season there and the weather can be a bit hit or miss. Im defo gonna give tulum a try but i e-mailed the kite school there and was told dec-may would be the best time to visit. Anyone got any other hidden gems in the world that i should know about that would be good to visit in october?????

Thank you for the advice :thumb:

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:56 pm

Hey...the Residence in Mauritius......very good hotel, very good food, kite surf straight outside in a large, safe and beautiful lagoon. Cross on wind. No waves. Safe launch and landing. Wind in October still normally good. If you are not so experienced, there is also a very good kite school 15 minutes walk up the beach. No crowds at all, ever.

Have spent a lot of time here and if it's not windy, you can wakeboard, snorkel etc at the hotel at no cost. Its a good place to be.....

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:38 pm

Is Egypt an option for you?
There are several good ones

stridgey10
Rare Poster

Postby stridgey10 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:10 pm

Cheers Jono, im actually looking at Mauritius now and it looks like the best bet for what im looking for. I think Le Morne is the best area???? I will have a look at that hotel you recommended.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Le Morne is the best for all.
But also some sweet spots around, good for a day trip.
Check www.splocs.com

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:04 pm

No problem mate.

The best guy of all to get advice from on Mauritius is Nico, a local who you can get in touch with through this forum.

But in my humble opinion....it really depends what you are looking for.

Le Morne has a better range of conditions than the east coast lagoons because it has waves. But it also has crowds. Wind wise, it's there or thereabouts, picks up maybe a few more knots on clear, sunny marginal days.

Hotel wise, the Indian Resort is on site at Le Morne. A fine establishment if I was travelling with some mates, but a completely different league to something like the Residence which is a properly nice world class actual (not Egyptian scale!) 5 star accommodation. Took my wife down there for a few nights, she couldn't wait to get back to the Residence.

For me, the Residence is great because the lagoon is beautiful, the beach is postcard perfect and I get to launch right outside my room and kite by myself. The food is also very very good.

There are some good hotels near Le morne, Paradis seems to be well liked, but for me, I want my launch 20m away, not a short drive.....

Nico has his own business in a different spot, which I think also has waves. You'd do well to speak to him, I've spent a lot of time in Mauritius and always kick myself for not exploring more.

Finally, wind wise, I've been there many times, including about 10 weeks last year. Generally getmabout 60-70 percent of days kiting, mainly 10m but plenty of 7m as well. It's windy! Bizarrely this year, for the first time got completely skunked, was there for 3 weeks in May and got one, yes one, good day. But that was completely bizarre and weird.....

Like I say, talk to Nico, youll get good imformation......

Safe travels.

stridgey10
Rare Poster

Postby stridgey10 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Not really got a lot of experience with waves yet, that not to say i dont want to get involved with waves but would be very happy just sessioning in flat water and lagoons all day. Im not into crowded so mabe the east coast would be a better option for me?? What area is the Residence hotel in???? I will try and contact Nico and see if i can pick his brain on the best spots to visit. I also would like to do my PADI diving course while im there aswell but im gussing there are places to do that all over the island. I love the idea of just walking out of the hotel onto the beach and lauching into a flat lagoon i n paradise. Cheers for the help mate.

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:46 pm

No problem. Just one thing to bear in mind, if you go to the Residence, you WILL be the only person kitesurfing from that spot. I like that, but depends how confident you are. I've done the hard work for you though and trained a couple of the pool boys to launch and land! PM me if you want all the fine detail.....

Cheers
Jono

Return to “Travel”