Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 11kvm, Cabrinha Switchblad 8kvm, Cabrinha custom
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

island jumping in Caribbean.

Postby Willy87 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:50 am

Hello.

Since that is not going to be any summer vacation on me this year, I planing to take out my vacation in November-December. Than i think to pack my kite and travling form cold Norway to caribbean for 4-5 weeks, and travling around in Caribbean.

Than I wondring:
How is the wind at that time?
Where do you recommend to go to, for the best condition and whites beach
for kitesurfing?
Some cheap places to stay over at?
Easy ways to traveling around?

hoping for answers

Willy

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster

Re: island jumping in Caribbean.

Postby islandstylen » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi Willy,
November/December is early in our season but you can usually score wind.
What islands are you thinking of? I can offer some advice on where to stay on a bunch of islands but take to long to list them all here.
*LIAT is a local airline that flies most of the islands up and down the chain ... not the cheapest option
*L'Xpress is a ferry service that connects guadeloupe/dominica/martinique and St Lucia.
*St Vincent has its own fast ferry service from the mainland to some of the larger grenadines islands
*Crewing on a yacht is another cool way to travel down island.
OR
*you could join us for a trip and do it in luxury style.

4 to 5 weeks you could do all the islands from Dominican Republic to Tobago.
Top spots on my list would include,
Puerto Rico
Anegada (BVI)
Guadeloupe
Dominica
St Lucia
Grenadines (Mayreau/Union/Tobago Cays)
Grenada
Tobago

On my website i have some cool pics/weather info for the islands and guide to spots in the Grenadines (the site will be updated by the end of the month with even more info!!)

We have been operating kite/surf charters in the islands since 2003.

http://web.mac.com/caribbeankitesurfari ... lcome.html

our blog is always updated with cool stuff too ... check our latest video on there.

http://caribbeankiting.blogspot.com/

If you want more info on places to stay / to go or spots just send me PM and i can probably help.

Ben

jcbua
Medium Poster

Postby jcbua » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:57 am

In regards to the previous reply. December would def be a good time to visit the Caribbean in terms of wind as they don't call'em the "Christmas Winds" for nothing. As for "crewing on a yacht"...unless you can find someone whose itinerary gels with yours and one you can find on a web page ahead of time like, perhaps Latitude 38, it's not a viable option as a paid gig on the "white boats" now requires lots of licenses that require, you guessed it, lots of cash and a commitment of a time frame significantly greater than 4 to 5 weeks. If you want to see the islands by boat, something along the lines of what islandstylin is offering is definitely the best deal going.

Hooked Cabarete
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Encuentro cabarete
Kitebeach Cabarete
Workum the Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Encuentro
Style: Waveriding
Location: HookedCabarete.com Hotel/Apartments rental Cabarete/Encuentro

Postby Hooked Cabarete » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:59 pm

If you come to the Dominican Republik, Cabarete is where you want to go. Everything from flat water to nice waves and consistant winds. It is also the main spot for surfing in the DR. Apart from watersports Cabarete offers a really nice Community. Good food, some nice bars and clubs etc. but it's still quite layed back without the bad sideeffects of mass tourism.

I'm managing a little hotel (Hooked Cabarete) here for kiters and surfers. If you are interessted, have a look on our webpage www.hookedcabarete.com.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, regardless wether you want to stay with us or not.

Hang loose
Nino

Return to “Travel”