Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The DR in July: Cabarete or Las Terrenas or Puerto Plata???

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Kads
Rare Poster
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The DR in July: Cabarete or Las Terrenas or Puerto Plata???

Postby Kads » Sat May 14, 2011 12:22 am

I'm planning on heading to the DR in July and have some questions about the different locations:

Las Terrenas:
This would be my top choice as it looks beautiful, less crowded, and has some nice flat water. BUT, how is the wind there in July? How does the wind compare to that of Cabarete? I know it's supposed to be a bit lighter than Cabarete, but can you still kite most everyday like Cabarete?

Cabarete:
Does the fact that it is a La Nina year effect the wind at all for the DR?

Puerto Plata:
How's the wind compared to Cabarete? Can you kite in front of the resorts or do you have to drive to Malecon Boulevard all the time?

Thanks so much for any info. I'm hoping to book soon.

Hooked Cabarete
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Encuentro cabarete
Kitebeach Cabarete
Workum the Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Encuentro
Style: Waveriding
Location: HookedCabarete.com Hotel/Apartments rental Cabarete/Encuentro

Re: The DR in July: Cabarete or Las Terrenas or Puerto Plata

Postby Hooked Cabarete » Sat May 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Hi Kads,

if you want to have the highest probability of good wind most of your holiday, Cabarete would be your choice. The consistency makes it a bit more crowded than the other places but there is still enough space as there are two beaches (Bozo and Kitebeach) were you can go. As Kitebeach has a outer reef there is also some quite flat water inside the reef which makes the spot very divers, because you can have almost everything.

Regarding all the things apart from kiting Cabarete is a really nice spot. There are numerous activities as moutain biking, canyoning and surfing. It has also a nice little nightlife if you want to go out at night, but is quiet enough if you just want to relax and kite.

Puerto Plata only offers big resorts and the wind is usually not very consistent. It's also not the spot if you want to meet some other kiters.

Las Terrenas usually only offers consistent wind during the winter month and is unconsistent in july.

How el nino effects the DR is very unpredictable. But we had an amazing March and April which is not very usual, so I hope it will continue like this the rest of the year :)

If you are looking for a chilled out place in Cabarete where you can meet up with other active people or also just enjoy your privacy on your own terrace have a look at www.hookedcabarete.com .

Aloha
Nino

FDO
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite beach puerto plata
Style: waves , freestyle

Postby FDO » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Regarding all the things apart from kiting Cabarete is a really nice spot. There are numerous activities as moutain biking, canyoning and surfing. It has also a nice little nightlife if you want to go out at night, but is quiet enough if you just want to relax and kite.

THIS PART IS TRUE!

However Kite beach puerto plata have a very flat water spot with same wind conditions as cabarete only a bit stronger .

i think you should go to cabarete but dont miss the chance to kite in puerto plata is some of the pro's best keep secret!!

for any info feel free to e mail us info@kiteclubpuertoplata.com

Pin Head
Medium Poster

Postby Pin Head » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:54 pm

10kts in POP today.

Think I will go to Aruba.

Hooked Cabarete
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Encuentro cabarete
Kitebeach Cabarete
Workum the Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Encuentro
Style: Waveriding
Location: HookedCabarete.com Hotel/Apartments rental Cabarete/Encuentro

Postby Hooked Cabarete » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:16 pm

20-28 kts in Cabarete today :)

Kads
Rare Poster
Gear: North

Postby Kads » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. My girlfriend and I are heading down to Cabarete from July 8 to the 22nd. We'll be kiting Bozo and KB most of the time, but I'd like to get some sessions at La Boca at some point during the 2 weeks as well.

@ FDO - This flat water spot in Puerto Plata has got me intrigued. Might have to get in touch with you before next year's trip. Or I might even come check it out during the two weeks I have there this year.

Thanks again.

FDO
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite beach puerto plata
Style: waves , freestyle

Postby FDO » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:40 am

Kads wrote:Thanks for the info everyone. My girlfriend and I are heading down to Cabarete from July 8 to the 22nd. We'll be kiting Bozo and KB most of the time, but I'd like to get some sessions at La Boca at some point during the 2 weeks as well.

@ FDO - This flat water spot in Puerto Plata has got me intrigued. Might have to get in touch with you before next year's trip. Or I might even come check it out during the two weeks I have there this year.

Thanks again.
cool just let me know , but if you will be here for 2 weeks pass by is only half our away from cabarete

Return to “Travel”