Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Ozone dominates Race Course Day 1+2 Kitesurf World Cup Sylt

Postby Toby » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 am

Ozone News:

Ozone dominates Race Course >> Day 1 Kitesurf World Cup Sylt
Bild 2.png
Bild 2.png (370.1 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
Sylt presented itself for the start of the Course Racing World Championships at it’s best; clear blue skies and plenty of sunshine!

A total of four races were completed on Day one, with Ozone riders dominating the scene.

The first 3 races were won by Johnny Heineken and the 4th race taken by Adam Koch. On the first set of races most people chose 13m Edges and were fully lit in 25 knots.

After this first day Johnny Heineken is sitting in first place overall with Adam Koch in second.

Keep it up guys and good luck to the entire Ozone team for the next days! We will keep you updated here and on the Ozone Facebook page with next results.

Cheers
Team Ozone

Johnny Heineken >> 1st Place in Race 5 >> Day 2 Worlds Update

Day 2 Worlds Update just in from John Heineken who has won the 5th race of the event

After a full day of postponement due to light air, the breeze shifted from offshore to onshore and built to 20+ knot winds at around 5:30pm. The race committee prepped for a 6:30 start, so we all pumped up our 9m Edges and charged out to the course.

The conditions were super challenging - windy, up and down, and enormous wind chop. After a hectic start, Adam was able to control the fleet and lead back to the weather mark on port. This was definitely right move because the course was surprisingly short for the breeze, and most people got pinned on starboard tack past layline. Adam led around the weather mark, I was close behind. This was possibly the craziest weather mark rounding ever.

I followed Adam as he screamed (literally…yelling) his way through a line of 60+ kites to make sure he didn’t get killed. Surprisingly we both made it, and the two of us were launched. Or so it seemed, until we couldn’t find the leeward mark. We had actually passed it and by the time we realized this it was catch up time again. Stupid!!!

About 4 guys passed us, and we really had to work to get them on the weather beat. Julian Keurner (France) rounded first, with Adam on his heals and me in 3rd. Adam and I smoked past him after the weather mark, and I battled hard to get inside Adam on the gybe. I made it…but looked back and he had fallen, letting Julien pass him by a hair. Still a consistent race for both of us in very tough conditions…

Unfortunately the race committee had to bail on a second race because they sucked some water into their fuel…oops. So after 2 days and 5 races the results are as shown. Ozone is holding solid in 1st and 2nd. The Team Mascot (Chip) is sitting 9th, Adam Vance is in 11th, and Andy is 13th. All the Americans are sailing strong, an we’re ready for three more days of hard sailing. The forecast is for more crazy conditions, can’t wait!

Johnny

Return to “Kitesurfing”