Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ozone Reo 12m impressions

Postby kitesurfbali » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:38 am

I got the kite 4 days ago and had 3 nice days on it. Also few friends: Johnny, Taro and Komang had the chance to try it and were very impressed.

The last 2 years I have been using the Ozone C4 kite that is a New Age “C” kite and I have been very happy.

The C4 is a dream as it keep all the characteristic of a C kite with the easy of use of an SLE kite “relaunch, depower, range”.

So when I heard about the new Wave kite I was a bit skeptical as I tough how the hack they can top my C4..

Wow I don’t know how but they DID IT…
The Reo is fantastic, no other kite I tried so far come even close on performance in waves.

The major difference from the C4 is the way the kite drift down wind when you are riding a wave.

I used it only in Sanur so far where I surf On Shore waves and I was blown away as it makes even the crappiest wave a joy to ride.

For the first time I was able to surf down the line at Oka Point. Normally as the wave there is too on shore the kite will loose all the power so that you can’t steer it or it would stall even when you are flying it super aggressive.

The Reo follow you down the wave and is always ready to react at the input you give to the bar.

Compare to a C4 it has more Low End so the Reo 12m is comparable to a C4 13m OR to other brands powerful 12m like an F-One Bandit or a Wainman..

It turn fast for a 12m and it turn more on the TIP (little pivoting) compare to a C kite but still maintain a good pull in the turn that is quite nice.

Bar pressure is perfect and you can adjust it. I like the Light setting and I can turn the kite just with one hand and by a movement of my wrist (great for my poor Golfer Elbow). The kite has a very direct feeling (no pulley) and is very precise to input at the bar.

Easy to park it and to know where it is at all time. Depower is very progressive till ¾ of the bar and the last ¼ if you push the bar away it depower almost totally and very fast! You can kill the power instantly.

Relaunch is very very good faster then any other kite I tried so far, just pull a back line and it goes up in no time.

Goes up wind very well with a great angle but at a slower speed compare to other kites. Jumps are OK but not much hang time, you come down quite fast!

Construction is with 3 struts and the kite feel very light both in the bag and in the air.

Final Conclusion: The REO is a dedicated Wave kite… Will not make you win any Racing or Hang Time or Speed Record. If you are 90% of your time on a Twin Tip and love to do Wakestyle tricks this is not the kite for YOU!

If you are a Wave maniac this is at the moment the TOP choice kite in the market and you seriously need to give it a go. Any other company will have to catch up big time to be able to compete with the OZONE REO.

The kite will be officially launched in couple of weeks but we can already order them. A new Bar will come with this kite (push away safety, smaller diameter, new soft terminal) but will be only available in 2 months.

You can fly the REO with any Ozone 4 lines bar 2009-2010-2011.

Kite come in size 6 – 8 – 10 – 12m

Bye Jankie
Attachments
Reo_power.jpg
Me...
reo.jpg
Close up!
Reo_action.jpg
Reo 12m action in Bali

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Re: Ozone Reo 12m impressions

Postby Tony » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:41 am

Nice review. I'm interested in these kites but I'm more 50/50 surf/tt. I'm seeing more and more people claim this is a great "All-around" kite even though it is billed as a wave-specific kite.
What conditions have you been riding in? Wind strengths?

Do you still think it would not be a good choice as an all-around kite? I want good all-around / wave kite. Maybe a mixed quiver of the Reo/C4?

What do you give up in the waves with a C4 vs the Reo? What do you give up on you TT with a Reo vs the C4? Surf where I ride is mostly side-on.

Hoping to get a demo but not any of these around in my area now ... maybe in a few weeks.

Thanks
Tony

Danperez
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Spain-tarifa-pals-castelldelfels-majanicho fuerte
Favorite Beaches: Haakgat-cape town-misty cliffs
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Danperez » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:06 pm

kitesurfbali wrote:I got the kite 4 days ago and had 3 nice days on it. Also few friends: Johnny, Taro and Komang had the chance to try it and were very impressed.

The last 2 years I have been using the Ozone C4 kite that is a New Age “C” kite and I have been very happy.

The C4 is a dream as it keep all the characteristic of a C kite with the easy of use of an SLE kite “relaunch, depower, range”.

So when I heard about the new Wave kite I was a bit skeptical as I tough how the hack they can top my C4..

Wow I don’t know how but they DID IT…
The Reo is fantastic, no other kite I tried so far come even close on performance in waves.

I totally agree on these comments except for upwind and jumping details.
I got my REO 6-10 and 12 a month ago (there is also a 4m) and sailed them many times since.By coincidence i had to sail my C4 last weekend and noticed even better the differences.
I think upwind the REO is better then the c4 and jumping feels floaty enough,i did not experience quick dropdown,maybe because i was out in sufficient wind.
The REO definately is the best wavekite out there but makes a great freeride kite as well with more low end then the c4.
If you are mostly in to freeride i would suggest the Cathalyst but the REO will do the same but only faster.Response time is amazingly direct and fast on this kite.
Most fun i had on the 6,waveriding toeside(goofy rider) with 25 kts and small 1.5 m waves, great downwind drift and suuuuuuuper fast!

The major difference from the C4 is the way the kite drift down wind when you are riding a wave.

I used it only in Sanur so far where I surf On Shore waves and I was blown away as it makes even the crappiest wave a joy to ride.

For the first time I was able to surf down the line at Oka Point. Normally as the wave there is too on shore the kite will loose all the power so that you can’t steer it or it would stall even when you are flying it super aggressive.

The Reo follow you down the wave and is always ready to react at the input you give to the bar.

Compare to a C4 it has more Low End so the Reo 12m is comparable to a C4 13m OR to other brands powerful 12m like an F-One Bandit or a Wainman..

It turn fast for a 12m and it turn more on the TIP (little pivoting) compare to a C kite but still maintain a good pull in the turn that is quite nice.

Bar pressure is perfect and you can adjust it. I like the Light setting and I can turn the kite just with one hand and by a movement of my wrist (great for my poor Golfer Elbow). The kite has a very direct feeling (no pulley) and is very precise to input at the bar.

Easy to park it and to know where it is at all time. Depower is very progressive till ¾ of the bar and the last ¼ if you push the bar away it depower almost totally and very fast! You can kill the power instantly.

Relaunch is very very good faster then any other kite I tried so far, just pull a back line and it goes up in no time.

Goes up wind very well with a great angle but at a slower speed compare to other kites. Jumps are OK but not much hang time, you come down quite fast!

Construction is with 3 struts and the kite feel very light both in the bag and in the air.

Final Conclusion: The REO is a dedicated Wave kite… Will not make you win any Racing or Hang Time or Speed Record. If you are 90% of your time on a Twin Tip and love to do Wakestyle tricks this is not the kite for YOU!

If you are a Wave maniac this is at the moment the TOP choice kite in the market and you seriously need to give it a go. Any other company will have to catch up big time to be able to compete with the OZONE REO.

The kite will be officially launched in couple of weeks but we can already order them. A new Bar will come with this kite (push away safety, smaller diameter, new soft terminal) but will be only available in 2 months.

You can fly the REO with any Ozone 4 lines bar 2009-2010-2011.

Kite come in size 6 – 8 – 10 – 12m

Bye Jankie

Danperez
Rare Poster

Postby Danperez » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:12 pm

Sorry for messing up the text of kitesurfbali.My response got somehow stuck in the middle of his text.

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:51 am

Danperez wrote:I totally agree on these comments except for upwind and jumping details.
I got my REO 6-10 and 12 a month ago (there is also a 4m) and sailed them many times since.By coincidence i had to sail my C4 last weekend and noticed even better the differences.
I think upwind the REO is better then the c4 and jumping feels floaty enough,i did not experience quick dropdown,maybe because i was out in sufficient wind.
The REO definately is the best wavekite out there but makes a great freeride kite as well with more low end then the c4.
If you are mostly in to freeride i would suggest the Cathalyst but the REO will do the same but only faster.Response time is amazingly direct and fast on this kite.
Most fun i had on the 6,waveriding toeside(goofy rider) with 25 kts and small 1.5 m waves, great downwind drift and suuuuuuuper fast!
Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if Jankie was maybe underpowered and that's why the difference in opinion. I emailed him and he still stands by his review though. I am seeing more and more people claim otherwise.

I will just have to ride for myself before buying I guess. Your feedback keeps this kite as an option.

How ho you find the overlap for your quiver? I'd really prefer a 12m/9m for starters but will probably go 12m/10m and use my 7.5 kahoona for a while longer.

Tony

kitesurfbali
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Sanur , Bali, Indonesia
Canggu, Bali, Indonesia
Lakey Peak, Sumbawa, Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Too many....
Style: Waves shredder
Gear: Ozone, Airush, F-One, Peter Lynn - Kites
Airush, Underground, Surf X-treme custom - boards
Brand Affiliation: Peter Lynn, Ozone, Airush, Underground, F-One, Surf X-treme custom

Postby kitesurfbali » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:23 am

I stand by my comments.
Of course I kite in less wind the then other people here but those are my impressions..
The REO jump good but C4 is another class...
Upwind is also good but you are going slower!
Generally speaking when I was on my C4 I was always one of the faster in the water now not..

If you confront the upwind on a Surfboard maybe the angle is the same or can even be that the REO going slower have a better angle but I'm pretty sure that on a TT it will not.
I can't really compare anymore as I sold all my C4...
Bye Jankie

Danperez
Rare Poster

Postby Danperez » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi Tony,

I haven'tused a twintip since ages but i do think upwind and jumping ability is crucial and i really think the REO does it all fantastically.
Whit regards to your overlap question i would recommend 8 and 12.Myself i use all sizes since i am one of those guys that like to have the right kite for all conditions.I am still into my windsurfing and we never use to go out under or overpowered,so i am used to have various sail sizes.
I understand that not everybody wants to spend that kind of money but that is another thing....
Good luck!

Return to “Reviews”