Favorite Beaches: I really liked key west
Style: Freeeride
Gear: Best kahoona
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

cayo largo

Postby josesbox » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:12 am

So Im thinking of heading into cayo largo from mexico....(Because Im a yankee) next year around October or November somewhere in there to do a bit of kiting. Am I picking the right months roughly to kite down there?

KITEMOBILE
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baie Misissiquoi, QC
Favorite Beaches: WAVES,NC
Gear: Ozone EDGE V8 15m(red)
Ozone EDGE V8 11M(red)
Ozone CATA 12m,10m,8m
Slingshot GLIDE
RRD poison LTD v2 143
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: cayo largo

Postby KITEMOBILE » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:15 am

Cayo Largo, winds are off shore,access to they North side of island very difficult

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Re: cayo largo

Postby alexeyga » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:27 pm

Can't go wrong from November to March (February being the best)... Howerver, Cayo Largo isn't the best Cuba's kiting spot... winds are typically side/off and it's rather choppy, though wind stats for Cayo Largo are better than for the rest of the Cuba... I'd suggest Cayo Gillermo instead... Cayo Gillermo is as good as it gets for kiting, it's shallow and not a lot of beach-goers as these beaches aren't very suitable for non-kiting folks.. Don't forget to bring both your biggest and smallest kites as 12KN days do happen and when there's a hurricane or a storm beating the hell out of Florida, it's nuking in Cuba... I was lucky last year catching one of these - very fun!!! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”