Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: New Kitehero Fin Mount Setup Guide/How To

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:07 am

WildDuke wrote:Ok, question about the gopro relating to the mount. If you record video and the camera is on it's side, is it possible to rotate the video? Either in the camera or editing software?
You can rotate within the camera 180° but not 90 ... that can be done in software easily though.
Some players allow you to rotate during playback too - VLC player is one.

Solid mount, no worries about it breaking! :thumb: maybe too solid - I had a file go corrupt on me during recording ... could it have been from too hard a landing? I didn't think so though ... maybe some rubber between mount and board ...?

Fly, fat-ass, FLY!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:09 am

Oh one tip ... mount it on the end of your board so it'll point AWAY from the sun for the majority of your riding :roll: riding heel-side directly into the sun on my RHS, the camera on the LHS of the board and - I got fogging and lots of lens flare ... DOH!

JMF
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby JMF » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:23 pm

stringy wrote:
experienced1 wrote:Here's another sample....I tested the a proto mount for Stringy about 4 months ago...great product.
Stringy or Ryan...was the angle of the mount changed from the proto I used or were any of the other videos shown on this thread edited to adjust? R4 refers to the GoPro seting

http://www.vimeo.com/20119535

steve
steve,
I tried to maintain as much through the development of the mount prototypes to the final production design.
Angle is virtually the same, but depending on your board's nose rocker, this could affect angle of perspective. Not an issue though because the camera captures quite a bit in this configuration.
There are some changes due to manufacturing issues, but overall this mount is how I wanted it to be.
with the production mounts being made of glass filled nylon, the likelihood of failure is going to be extremely low on this mount system.
Here is an uncropped image from using the new fin mount I took last week.

I'll also say it again. That is one of the coolest pictures I have seen in years years of Kiteboarding. Got that HDR feel going for it. Makes me want buy a Go PRO lol. I'm sort of between minds must be honest. Had the Contour HD sold it. See the Contour+ is out now but looks like there is still that annoying artifacting in harsh sunlight which I absolutely hate. Go PRO does not seem to have that problem but the form factor is a problem for me.

Ryan also made me a offer I can't refuse for another Contour. Decisions decisions. Stringy you think you guys will be developing something in the same lines for the Contour? I know they don't have a fin mount yet. The Surf mount looks pretty descent but it's that same clear brittle plastic. Not the Nylon stuff you guys are doing. Maybe something in the future?

ryanroberts1983
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby ryanroberts1983 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:23 pm

JMF wrote:
stringy wrote:
experienced1 wrote:Here's another sample....I tested the a proto mount for Stringy about 4 months ago...great product.
Stringy or Ryan...was the angle of the mount changed from the proto I used or were any of the other videos shown on this thread edited to adjust? R4 refers to the GoPro seting

http://www.vimeo.com/20119535

steve
steve,
I tried to maintain as much through the development of the mount prototypes to the final production design.
Angle is virtually the same, but depending on your board's nose rocker, this could affect angle of perspective. Not an issue though because the camera captures quite a bit in this configuration.
There are some changes due to manufacturing issues, but overall this mount is how I wanted it to be.
with the production mounts being made of glass filled nylon, the likelihood of failure is going to be extremely low on this mount system.
Here is an uncropped image from using the new fin mount I took last week.

I'll also say it again. That is one of the coolest pictures I have seen in years years of Kiteboarding. Got that HDR feel going for it. Makes me want buy a Go PRO lol. I'm sort of between minds must be honest. Had the Contour HD sold it. See the Contour+ is out now but looks like there is still that annoying artifacting in harsh sunlight which I absolutely hate. Go PRO does not seem to have that problem but the form factor is a problem for me.

Ryan also made me a offer I can't refuse for another Contour. Decisions decisions. Stringy you think you guys will be developing something in the same lines for the Contour? I know they don't have a fin mount yet. The Surf mount looks pretty descent but it's that same clear brittle plastic. Not the Nylon stuff you guys are doing. Maybe something in the future?

The GPS case works for the Contour+. As far as other mounting options - not sure how far we will get with that. You guys are welcome to order any Contour stuff from us and if you don't like it you can return it. That along with the line mount offer should square away your decision making process... questions email or contact me directly.

"Had the Contour HD sold it. See the Contour+ is out now but looks like there is still that annoying artifacting in harsh sunlight which I absolutely hate." I have had zero problems with this.

pingo
Medium Poster

Postby pingo » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:07 pm

the new mount is bombproof. I recorded 2 weeks and had a lot hard landings. No sweat! :D

ryanroberts1983
Frequent Poster

Postby ryanroberts1983 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:06 pm

F-16's over over South Haven / Lake Michigan - Kitehero fin mount + gopro hd
Attachments
GOPR0275.JPG
GOPR0128.JPG
GOPR0356.JPG

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:21 am

I took this video by using only one screw through the mount on my mako.
(with a leash to the other screw...just in case)
The camera is rotated so it faces sideoff towards the kite.
I put the whole assembly in front of a fan for 15-20 minutes before I close it up too.
No problems with humidity/fogging when you do this.

This angle has a lot of possibilties, you see both the rider and the kite and get a good idea of the surroundings when you go airborne.
This mount is tough, I've been trying to shear it off for months now and have had no luck. 8)

http://youtu.be/dIsvM71V448?hd=1

The next day I moved it to my front foot (goofy style) and I think I might have found a sweet spot for my riding style.

http://youtu.be/Lz9rS4xqb80?hd=1

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:41 am

Interesting angle, some nice shots there :thumbup:

Yeah, the day before, I had the camera and case up front with the air con on for 90 minutes, then blasted it for a few minutes in the carpark ... then closed it up. Perfectly clear all session!

Fox75
Rare Poster

Postby Fox75 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:43 pm

I tested the Gopro Finmount for the first time. It is very good attached to the board however making a video was very hard. After the first session I saw the Gopro was not responding. Opening it up I noticed the SD card was not properly inserted anymore. I pushed it back in making sure it was put in correctly. After the second session it again was not inserted properly anymore resulting into corrupted video-files.

To be honest this was not what I expected. I did make some jumps but noting really spectacular since the wind was not that strong. Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there any solution?

Thanks!

ryanroberts1983
Frequent Poster

Postby ryanroberts1983 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:01 pm

Fox75 wrote:I tested the Gopro Finmount for the first time. It is very good attached to the board however making a video was very hard. After the first session I saw the Gopro was not responding. Opening it up I noticed the SD card was not properly inserted anymore. I pushed it back in making sure it was put in correctly. After the second session it again was not inserted properly anymore resulting into corrupted video-files.

To be honest this was not what I expected. I did make some jumps but noting really spectacular since the wind was not that strong. Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there any solution?

Thanks!

Sounds like a possible faulty camera rather than an issue with kitehero mounts. When the cameras "freeze" or "lock up" it's because of a super super hard impact, I have had that happen a few times but never ever heard of anyone loosing an SD card from being inserted properly. You may want to try to warranty the camera with GoPro!!! However if you are not happy with our mount, let me know and ill refund you in full!

Return to “Kitesurfing”