Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha Quick Link 2012

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:21 pm

Jono 111 wrote:...maybe some more video in action in the water would be a good way of showing off its full potential. I'd be interested.
Knowing Cabrinha, they will most likely produce a new Cabrinha Tech Tip Video
on the 2012 Quicklink IDS Control Bar system in action
(filmed on the beach... with the wind blowing.)

Marc

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:49 pm

Jono111:

"The part I didn't get was if you released the kite to its landing line in a deep water situation (which granted is a rare occurence). In this case it seems that you need two hands fully engaged to reassemble the system, plus a way of taking the slack out of the landing line.
In the video this is done by standing on the landing line on the beach. I guess at sea, you would need to wrap your feet round it, or take slack out before reassembling? Sounded tricky to me, thats all."

In my opinion, your observation above is correct. The IDS is a self rescue and a self landing line..so putting it back together in deep water is not required and I assume not a design criteria. Also in my opinion, the Cabrinha kites differ from other brands as it gets the overwhelming majority of its depower and safety from sheeting out the bar or letting go of the bar vs a depower strap or other mechanisms. And lastly, if you need to get rid of the whole package, it is important that this process is as easy as possible..which it is by activating the QR2
steve

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:18 pm

experienced1 wrote: the overwhelming majority of its depower and safety from sheeting out the bar or letting go of the bar vs a depower strap or other mechanisms
steve
What about when unhooking, can you still just attach your leash above the chicken loop so the kite's power doesn't completely get killed when you drop the bar, or is it going to flag way out?

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby experienced1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:38 pm

dyyylan:
you can still hook your leash above the depower loop..around the blk tubing, but why wouldn't you use the new full spinning leash attachment? The QR1, the leash attachment and the depower loop all spin independently from each other.
steve

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:27 pm

Thank experienced1.

As I said, I have no experience on cabs...I come from a background of c kites, then the last 4 or 5 years on North, always 5th line. I spend most of my time kiting alone with no support, so the 5th line system has been a good choice....

However I'm always keen to understand new developments....

So what I'm interested is how this system works if I unhook and let go of the bar.

What line(s) does it flag to?
Is there any residual power in the kite?
What needs to be done to relaumch? Just get the bar back, hook in and go?

Not being facetious, I just don't know cab.

Cheers

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster

Postby experienced1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:25 pm

Jono111:
txs for asking....if you unhook and let go of your bar the depower loop will only go as far as your leash is long. the bar will travel up the blk depower line about18+" (didn't measure)..the depower throw and then compresses the Recoil spring, about another 10-12" and goes to basically the rider side of the depower strap... guessing about 95% depower. Because of the Recoil, the bar will return down the blk depower line to about 18" from the top of the depower loop. So, you would then pull on your leash to get back to the depower loop, replace the depower loop on you harness hook, grab the bar which is only an arms length away because of the Recoil, make sure the lines are OK to relaunch, make sure the red half of the bar is on the left, and pull an outside line to relaunch....nothing to put back together. My guess, is that when you activate the QR1 to do a self rescue another 4% depower is achieved, making it easy to go up the center lines to get to your kite...
Hope I described this is a way that is understood?
steve

superpak101
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby superpak101 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:05 am

Since the 2012 bar has been out for a while, I'm curious if any one has actually blown the safety and put it back together in the water.

I just bought a 2012 SB the other day, and putting the bar back together seems crazy complex.

If you blow the safety in the water and have the kite down wind is there actually enough tension to put the pin back in place without it getting all tangled up in the Quick Release box?

Basically, I'm just looking for some feedback from anyone who has blown the safety in the water.

Thanks in advance...

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want

Postby C Johnson » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:16 am

I've done it a few times in the water after having my kite tumble on me. I think its easier to reassemble in the water. If you're in powered conditions the kite will pull the slack out during reassembly.

I agree its not the easiest system to reassemble and it is possible to put it back together incorrectly. The 2013 system will only go back together 1 way and is easier to reassemble with the addition of a catch but still not the easiest.

I love this bar for the coated depower line, comfy bar ends, swiveling leash attachment, clean line arrangement and chickenloop that is reinforced to hold its open shape.

The safety works great and will release even if you have zero line tension (something real handy if your kite is Hindenburging) but it could be better in the reassembly department. Something for 2014 I guess :)

I still think this is the best bar you can get though.

Brock Landers
Rare Poster
Style: Sky high

Postby Brock Landers » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:19 am

I own (2) 2012 Crossbow Cabrinha kites and this system is the most complex system I have ever had to work with. Fortunately I have not had to reassemble in a real world situation, but, with any new kite I get I always familiarize myself with the safety systems first.

When I popped the chicken loop to see how easy it would be to reassemble it took me several minutes to reassemble. It was actually pretty frustrating.

This was my only disappointment with the new system. Otherwise the CBs are a great kite.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:48 am

... it took me several minutes to reassemble...
Seriously? :o first time I saw the 2012 bar in Thailand this summer, I pulled the QR and had it back together in a few seconds - it takes as long as the 2011 and earlier ones plus having to pull the red hat down... cos it's not spring loaded.

The 2013 one has a little catch on the red hat to make it easier to reset the pin but it's still not "several minutes" hard!

Return to “Kitesurfing”