Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Why the long depower rope??

Postby Toby » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:10 pm

Steph Bridge did something similar do her depower after the first day of the worlds...the wind was gusty and got strong...so all where overpowered. To get more depower, she added pulleys to the depower to have double depower.

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide
Has thanked: 0

Postby PBKiteboarding » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Great Post!
I've been following racing and San Fran area sure gets the winds to practice in.
Lucky Guys!!

Great Videos out there on Racing too Like Adams and Damien.
Looks exciting!

Keep it up! Sure would be great to do a Clinic one day.
What a high end Skill. Hoping to see it in the Olympics.
What a wealth of knowledge these guys have!

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:41 am

Comparing the poo stance racer to the one who uses a sheeting line, the difference should be that the guy using the sheeting line has a stance where he always has the leverage to hold maximum power, and he is adjusting to get close to 100% power all the time.

The poo stance guy doesn't have that leverage when his chest is over his knees, so he cant hold as much power as he could do with a sheeting line stance, and therefore goes slower.

superstoke
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby superstoke » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:17 am

AdamKoch wrote:Hey y'all.
First off thanks for noticing the details of our racing techniques. I've been using this downhaul system since 1999... It's pretty much awesome if you set it up right and know how to use it. All of you are all right, but with many key details left out. The video posted above is wrong. Close but rigged completely wrong... So good luck with that boys.

All and all it's more complex then it looks. It's taken me 12 years to pioneer it. Truthfully if you want a lesson on how to properly apply the downhaul you will have to take one of Heinekens and my racing clinics. First one is in Spain, then England, Germany, holland, Italy, Mexico and possibly Argentina. Thats where we will give all our secrets away.

You can contact me at teamfluid@me.com or through my Facebook page. Contact me soon, there is limited space an it's filling up fast.

Hold Fast,

Adam Koch
What an assh0le. Total dickwad. I'll tell you but you gotta come to one of my lame ass clinics. I've asked a few freestyle pros on how they do some of their tricks and they've always been more then happy to share. Just more proof kiteracing is full of kooks.

MattW
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha
Style: smooth
Gear: directional/straps
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MattW » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:49 am

Hey superstoke! You must not know Adam, he has always been one of the first to not just innovate (freestyle and racing), but to share his ideas. Ask other kiters who have talked with him.

I think all Adam is trying to say is that it is easier to demonstrate in person than on a forum.

As for the clinics, people like me have been asking for them for a long time. Thanks goes to the kiters who have organized these clinics!

damian
Rare Poster

Postby damian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:19 am

superstoke wrote:
What an assh0le. Total dickwad. I'll tell you but you gotta come to one of my lame ass clinics. I've asked a few freestyle pros on how they do some of their tricks and they've always been more then happy to share. Just more proof kiteracing is full of kooks.

aww has some one had a bad day?? :allbegood:

Dude that is way out of line :nono:

It was me that started this thread and after not getting an answer here I jumped on face book and asked this "total assh0le dickwad" the same question and and almost straight away the selfish arrogant table jockey accepted my friend request and answered my question and gave me some tips on what type of purchase system to use :thumb:

So your statement is totally unfounded and only sounds like a sever case of tall poppy syndrome!

PS Adam if you read this thanks heaps for the tips. i have changed my bar and it feels sooo much better i don't know how i rode with the old bar.

IVSHORE-MTL
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Valois Bay - Montreal
Style: Freestyle & Course racing
Gear: airush xpact 2007 138cm, cabrinha prodigy 2009 158cm, roush skimboard, Cabrinha OmegaHD 2007 15m, North Rebel 2007 10m

Postby IVSHORE-MTL » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:36 pm

@superstoke, take a lesson from everyone on the forum. Most, if not all pros are chill and will share their secrets for the good of the sport(whether its kiting, sailing or surfing...) So if you ask them one question on the beach they will help you out for sure :D But they have a busy life as we all do, so they cant be answering your questions all day, they gotta train, TRAVEL, race, spend time relaxing, work! Thats why they go out of their way and plan time to organise clinics and spend their whole day trying to make YOU go faster, instead of keeping it all for themselves and smoke you round the buoys. They might make a few bucks, but who doesnt want to?? :wink: Its expensive to race and travel to regattas even if your sponsored.

That being said, question for the pros: Ive raced alot of skiffs before kites and it seems to me like 3:1 or 4:1 depower systems would just make too much trim line hanging around and oportunity to get wrapped on the bar or just in the way if your fully depowered unless you have a retrieval system( Do you?).

Are you setting up 2:1 or 3:1 systems?

Keep it irie

Farmer

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:23 pm

To save the pros some time,
Yes they set up systems with more advantage, and use whatever mechanical advantage needed for the conditions/equipment, so they can get a competitive advantage.
Normally if you try to keep a good stance you play your trim line in and out 6" or so.
So if it's 3:1, you play with a little more string, but it's in all just 2 or 3 feet of string hanging from a cleat usually 2 feet up the lines from you -not too much to cope with I think. And as the cascade shown above iollustrates, you can get a little 4:1 play for not much extra string to pull also, if that's what you need....

AndrewJMcGee
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Napeuage, Shinnecock
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras Island, Montauk NY
Style: Twin tips, Naish Mutant
Gear: Ozone, Liquid force, Nobile, Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby AndrewJMcGee » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:11 pm

Ronnie,

What is the white material used on your orbit block pulley? I just got all these materials, and will start rigging today. I also got the Harkin block, because the orbit block series 30 looked different than yours.

Thanks for the vid. At least its a starting place for me.

Andy

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:34 am

AndrewJMcGee wrote:Ronnie,

What is the white material used on your orbit block pulley? I just got all these materials, and will start rigging today. I also got the Harkin block, because the orbit block series 30 looked different than yours.

Thanks for the vid. At least its a starting place for me.

Andy
Hi Andy,

Its not my video, it was Patrick Rynne doing the talking. I have bought some Orbit pulleys and you get some thin rope with the pulley when you buy it. By double looping the rope supplied, you can rig the pulley. They have a diagram on the card with the pulley.

I will probably look at rigging a system like Adam Koch's at some stage, but do it in a way that I use it just to make the sheeting easier to reach rather than continuously sheeting it, so although I will just be sheeting with the bar, I wont have to reach for the depower rope to adjust the trim. (Too much skill required). I'd also want my IDS system on the Xbow to still be functional.

Return to “Kitesurfing”