Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What's the score on the AMP5.5?

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What's the score on the AMP5.5?

Postby Guest » Thu May 29, 2003 2:23 pm

I weigh 70kg and am currently using the 11.9 and 8.7 AMP (both very lovely) with a 142 WT.

The next kite down is a 6.3 AB 2001 which I haven't used a whole load mainly because its speed borders on the dangerous. Not being so heavy I'm looking for a kite with an excellent windrange that can take the gusts without pulling like an absolute steam train everytime the blow comes through. Higher winds will often mean gustier winds where I kite.

The AMP 5.5 seems an option though I'm having trouble justifying the extra money. Anyone used it? How about the Hydro? Any suggestions on a high wind kite for a 70 kg bloke?

Cheers

Aki

niko
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby niko » Sat May 31, 2003 5:44 pm

Hi,

the best descision in your situation could be an Airlbast 2002 or 2003.
The kite with teh best wind range.

regards
niko :bye:

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:26 pm

I (70kg too) used the AMP5.5 a couple of times now(my mate owns about the whole AMP quiver) and it is indeed a high-performance kite. About the range of the AB6.3 2002. Needs a heavier kiter to kill all the power then the AB6.3.

Overhere it's 95% of the time gusty in those strong winds and I prefer the Hydro/Hydro+ as the smallest kite next to my AMP7.1

jed
Medium Poster

Postby jed » Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:21 pm

Had my amp 5.5 out today... love it as a kite, really fun and great in waves as it moves so fast. its so easy to get from bottom turn to top turn and back again, each time sending the kite back to the edge of the window to drive you up the wave and through the turn......

but, this kite is not for the faint hearted, you have to stay 100% focused all the time, always keep your board speed up (and i mean way up) and always tweak the kite (ie power up and down as your speed is reduced by hitting waves or as gusts come and go).

You can't air head when flying this kite, but having said that its so much fun. the difference for me is ; you ride 2 hours intense instead of 4 or 5hours takin it handy. at one stage today i reaized i was actually short of breath as if i was jogging, and that was just from pushin the kite so hard, a blast for sure

ascholl
Rare Poster

Postby ascholl » Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:54 pm

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like the AMP 5.5 is not meant for me.

...in which case would you suggest a AB 6.3 2003, a Hydro+ 6.9 (or smaller) or a Skoop 2 7.0?

I would expect the AB to have a wider windrange than the Hydro+. That said I've heard of people going for lower aspect kites for higher winds although I'm not exactly sure why.

I presume for that matter that the AB 2003 is the same as the 2002 version.

I've also heard that Skoops are similar in feel to ABs which would appear to make them another option.

Basically I'm looking for something that would nicely complement my AMP 11.9 and 8.7.

Any thoughts?

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:45 am

My mate loves his AMP5.5 too. It certainly is a great kite for the pro's.
A matter of taste. I guess the most difficult thing is to get a kite to your liking. I think many kiters would enjoy kiting even more with a kite that suits there style.

The Hydro+ 4.8 (6,5m2) is a kite with a lot of depower, lower speed and constant power because of wider leading edge. The feel is predictable and confident. The power and lift will be more then Hydro 2002 and less then the Amp.

In general the Hydro+ (2003) has a lot more power then the Hydro (2002)
According to this guy the difference is about a kitesize!

http://www.wipika.nl/pages/testverslagen.html#

Return to “Kitesurfing”