Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What races will non production boards be able to race 2012?

Forum for kitesurfers
gbleck
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What races will non production boards be able to race 2012?

Postby gbleck » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:46 am

So what races will be available for 2012 non production boards? I'd like to build and ride a board but if no one will let me ride one what is the point? Some way to test boards in competition will have to exist or who the $(@* is going to ride a board that hasn't been proven let alone build 50 of them.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What races will non production boards be able to race 20

Postby tautologies » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:13 am

gbleck wrote:So what races will be available for 2012 non production boards? I'd like to build and ride a board but if no one will let me ride one what is the point? Some way to test boards in competition will have to exist or who the $(@* is going to ride a board that hasn't been proven let alone build 50 of them.
It is a salient point, but wouldn't you test the board outside of competitions?
The Naish race series had all sorts of different boards in the competition :-)

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:53 pm

You adjust and tweek in practice but it's hard to test the ability to find and defend a starting lane without a start. How can you test your board against the latest and greatest from your rival shapers without open full out racing? There will be some races that are not running on the IKA production restrictions. I'm just wondering what they will be. Off the top of my head i'm thinking of the two back to back regata's in baja. Sounds like the Naish series might be in the same beer can racing mode. Oh and for the non sailors a bear can race is a weeknight summer race or races that are all about a fun time on the water followed by beer at the club. You grab your 4 knot shitbox cruiser with 15 year old dacron sails and learn how to get every last ounce of speed out of her. I'm finishing up the last details on a freestyle board right now and I'm trying to figure out my next board building project. Do I buy a cube of 2lb eps 180 by 70 cm and build a race board or a 1.5 lb 12'6" chunk and build a stock class racing sup? I know I will have plenty of places to race the sup. Not sure about the race board.

Al-Kite-A
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Filed SF, Nor Cal
Style: freeride/race/wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo, HyperFlex, Ozone, SlingShot and Windy Devil

Postby Al-Kite-A » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:49 pm

The way I see it is, if production is the rule there will be very few races. I have yet to see a production board that has not been handed to a racer that has lasted more than a month.

Chicken Loop
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Newport Beach, Sunset Beach, and Salt Creek
Favorite Beaches: Cardiff
Style: Wake
Gear: Chicken Loop
Brand Affiliation: Chicken Loop

Postby Chicken Loop » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:42 pm

gbleck wrote:You adjust and tweek in practice but it's hard to test the ability to find and defend a starting lane without a start. How can you test your board against the latest and greatest from your rival shapers without open full out racing? There will be some races that are not running on the IKA production restrictions. I'm just wondering what they will be. Off the top of my head i'm thinking of the two back to back regata's in baja. Sounds like the Naish series might be in the same beer can racing mode. Oh and for the non sailors a bear can race is a weeknight summer race or races that are all about a fun time on the water followed by beer at the club. You grab your 4 knot shitbox cruiser with 15 year old dacron sails and learn how to get every last ounce of speed out of her. I'm finishing up the last details on a freestyle board right now and I'm trying to figure out my next board building project. Do I buy a cube of 2lb eps 180 by 70 cm and build a race board or a 1.5 lb 12'6" chunk and build a stock class racing sup? I know I will have plenty of places to race the sup. Not sure about the race board.
Damn I love beer can racing :thumb: The sport is way too young and in development for this production rule. :bye: IF you want to play the game and build 50 boards and something is wrong with them such as a delamination problem, then you have 50 shitty boards and you have wasted your money :nono: which is going to lead to less development in terms of going faster on the water. :jump: Just a very stupid rule especially if there is production only events going on.

Return to “Kitesurfing”