Favorite Beaches: Bimini
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Spike VS Spleene Door

Postby juaorpo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi,

A friend is considering in adquiring a big twintip. He is focused specially on North Spike (biggest size is 163x46.5. He is about 75-80kg and rides a 10m fuse on winds ranged between 8-20knots. Kite size should be bigger... but for the moment that won´t change.

I have tried spleene door (don´t remember if monster or not), and in our spot spleene is the best known twintip brand/board regarding lightwind.

Has anybody tried/tested/own a North Spike, could you tell me your weight, kite and windrange thanks to the board.

If any of you have tried both spleenes and North Spike, that comparison would be also very interesting (ranges, rocker, weight...)

Thanks in advance.

juaorpo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Spain

Re: North Spike VS Spleene Door

Postby juaorpo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:24 am

Any?

WndRdr
Medium Poster

Postby WndRdr » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:42 pm

I have not tried North Spike but other similar size boards like Nobile EXT and Shinn King George.

My opinion about Spleene Door is that it is a board for 90kg+ riders and very big slower flying kites like Flysurfer Speed 19m2 and 21m2 in marginal winds. It is good for that but loses the advantage compared to other wide boards to get in plane with small quicker flying kites. I do not feel it to be good to jump or blast when the wind picks up. It also feels just as big board as it really is.

With Fuse he would like a board that has quicker acceleration, good riding speed and to jump, it needs to get out of the water fluidly and not stuck to water.

So I think for example Shinn King George type of board or maybe also North Spike would suite him better.

With your friends weight I would not even go to the biggest board in the line. The difference would be very marginal in planning. Feeling of the board will be much better with a board that suits to his weight. Again the bigger the board is, it will loose important acceleration and riding speed which are required with that small kite. Smaller board will give you faster acceleration and more speed that generates more pull from the kite and this compensates the couple cm's differense in width. He would get better jumping abilities and softer landings with correct size board and not the biggest one.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Hello Juaorpo! I have owned flysurfer flydoors 165x46 and 170x50 with my speed 3 21.Then got tired of them and sold them.I ride 95% in the ocean. Their hourglass shape is really no fun in waves and chop.When i bougth my North Spike i went for the shorter lenght 153 (same width 46.5) i weigh 75kg and it was almost just as efficient to reach low end and upwind angle but so MUCH more FUN to turn/slash around in the ocean.I used mostly with 21M but on occasion on 12M Rebel 2011.Got to say that finally i sold the Spike and bought the North Freerace twin fin 3 straps directional (164x47.5). Now that is the board that suits me best.Tracks upwind like a door / just enough float to jibe easily / accelerates fast / jumps real high and slashes small waves on a dime.I have tried it with my 10M Rebel in 13 knots with no problem keeping upwind.I would not have had fun on a 10M in that wind with either Spike/Spleene/etc. But that's just me. :) :) SupaEZ

juaorpo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Spain

Postby juaorpo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:42 pm

SupaEZ wrote:Hello Juaorpo! I have owned flysurfer flydoors 165x46 and 170x50 with my speed 3 21.Then got tired of them and sold them.I ride 95% in the ocean. Their hourglass shape is really no fun in waves and chop.When i bougth my North Spike i went for the shorter lenght 153 (same width 46.5) i weigh 75kg and it was almost just as efficient to reach low end and upwind angle but so MUCH more FUN to turn/slash around in the ocean.I used mostly with 21M but on occasion on 12M Rebel 2011.Got to say that finally i sold the Spike and bought the North Freerace twin fin 3 straps directional (164x47.5). Now that is the board that suits me best.Tracks upwind like a door / just enough float to jibe easily / accelerates fast / jumps real high and slashes small waves on a dime.I have tried it with my 10M Rebel in 13 knots with no problem keeping upwind.I would not have had fun on a 10M in that wind with either Spike/Spleene/etc. But that's just me. :) :) SupaEZ
Actually I suggested to him the north freerace board. I love directionals too! Although is not the best in terms of lowind is definitely one of the most enjoyable (free)race boards.

Thanks Supaez and WindRdr for the comparison vs spleene. For what you say.... Spike does not looses excessive lowind ability vs the doors and seems to be easier to handle...

mocolombo
Frequent Poster

Postby mocolombo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:55 pm

I am also looking for a light wind TT to ride in chop conditions. BUT, i want a FUNNY board, that i can be able to pop to do tricks.

I agree that the Spike is a better choice over Door, but there are other boards in the market as LF WLF, LF LowRider, UnderGround Stella, RRD 10Knots, Epic Oxygen .... any comments, any test?

Which light wind board should be better to do tricks in light winds?

:thumb:

WndRdr
Medium Poster

Postby WndRdr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:43 pm

I have preferred the feeling of Shinn King Gearge and Nobiel EXT / XTR boards if you need really light wind board that you can still do tricks with it.

If you are lightweight and use normally some <=40 cm wide board you could just get quickly planing and fast ~42-44cm wide freestyle board. They are with small rocker and quick outline so they will work in light wind for lightweights. The difference between ~44 cm wide freestyleboard and ~46 cm wide light wind board is marginal and thinner board is much more fun to ride.

TYBAM
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Jacksonville, FL
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: lf hifi comp, lf influence, and ronix ranks.

Postby TYBAM » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:17 pm

big flat board are for fat kooks. get a biiger kite, 8-20kts is 14-16m wind , not 10m. At that weight you shouldnt need a 10m until at least 22knts. tell your friend to sell his 10m and get a bigger kite, he will have alot more fun in those winds.

Pattiecannon
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Caba, Bilinga
Favorite Beaches: Belongil, Muddies, Caba.
Style: loose
Gear: Rev 2 2009 9m
Octane 2010 11m
TD 2 2008 12m
Griffin 2009 14m
Chopstick 149
Custom 2010 136

Postby Pattiecannon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:04 am

TYBAM wrote:big flat board are for fat kooks. get a biiger kite, 8-20kts is 14-16m wind , not 10m. At that weight you shouldnt need a 10m until at least 22knts. tell your friend to sell his 10m and get a bigger kite, he will have alot more fun in those winds.
comments like this really should be ignored. What mr. tybam doesn't realize is that big kites really do turn slower.
You go big kite/smaller board = high board maneuverability + less kite maneuverability
You go small kite/bigger board = less board maneuverability + high kite maneuverability

What's you flavor? Who cares. They're both awesome styles. I ride in waves 95% I prefer to keep the kite as small as I can and use the smallest board that will work on the day. (that normally means one of my 2 biggest) In flat water I can see it may be the big kite option. But in waves, it doesn't matter much. Sure it's not as awesome as my 136 custom or Sol but I'm on a whippy ass 9 or 7m & I can turn my 155 phantom on a dime, backroll, front roll, it foam grinds so much better than a small TT and goes over the "flats" so much easier. So whatever, try all styles and pick one you like.
I haven't rode the king george or the monster door. I've been on the Crazy fly LW (with reverse outline) and it sucked. Worst board ever. wouldn't turn had no flex or pop. Total dud. The Phantom is asymmetrical with a reverse outline heelside. As good as this board is, this feature is a negative IMO. A straight or normal outline would keep the fins off the sand in the shallows and out the back in chop would make it a bit nicer to ride. And it's a great board, so with this in mind I can't see how the Door would be a patch on the Spike.
Also I think most of windrider's technical information here is basically wrong, especially, -"The difference between ~44 cm wide freestyleboard and ~46 cm wide light wind board is marginal " & "Smaller board will give you faster acceleration and more speed that generates more pull from the kite and this compensates the couple cm's differense in width."
- I want what he's on - 150x44=6600 150x46=6900 157x44=6908 cm squared .
ie with 2cm width extra you've effectively increased your 44cm TT by 7cm in length by surface area and you have a smaller outline to throw around.
As for the "accelaration" comment, by decreasing your kite size, you lessen the pull and your large TT can be ridden normally as without excessive edging. But, we're talking marginal conditions here and in them, a LW TT will launch faster, go faster, in any winds with the same kite, everytime .

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:40 am

TYBAM wrote:big flat board are for fat kooks. get a biiger kite, 8-20kts is 14-16m wind , not 10m. At that weight you shouldnt need a 10m until at least 22knts. tell your friend to sell his 10m and get a bigger kite, he will have alot more fun in those winds.
Big flat boards ARE for fat kooks... cos with the extra weight, you can actually handle the board ;) I have a lot of fun on my Flydoor XLs - foot-outs are easier cos there's more board to grab :D

I'd go directional for light wind too - North Nugget or one of those Airush Sectors... or something. Gives you another element to your riding too. If I hadn't lost my small TT, I'd be getting something big 'n' floaty soon :(

Return to “Kitesurfing”