Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cheap, durable raceboard.

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Some friends and I, former and current dinghy racers, want to get into kite racing. While we realize to race at the top end you need top end gear, we want something for practicing and learning the basics that we won't be afraid to kick around a bit, expecially for the first year. Also, we all want to be using the same thing. That way we can't be blaming anything on our boards.

Is there anything in production under 800 that could get us on the starting line(but not necessarily in first place). Something glass, not carbon. An extra couple of pounds certainly won't kill us at this point...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Cheap, durable raceboard.

Postby tautologies » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:44 pm

TooMuchEpoxy wrote:Some friends and I, former and current dinghy racers, want to get into kite racing. While we realize to race at the top end you need top end gear, we want something for practicing and learning the basics that we won't be afraid to kick around a bit, expecially for the first year. Also, we all want to be using the same thing. That way we can't be blaming anything on our boards.

Is there anything in production under 800 that could get us on the starting line(but not necessarily in first place). Something glass, not carbon. An extra couple of pounds certainly won't kill us at this point...
Check out last years models. They are still good boards.

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:57 pm

what about the 2010 north race ltd? Checking online they look plentiful at about 750 new.

Do you think the 70cm models are lightyears different to ride or would that board get the job done for learning technique?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:33 pm

TooMuchEpoxy wrote:what about the 2010 north race ltd? Checking online they look plentiful at about 750 new.

Do you think the 70cm models are lightyears different to ride or would that board get the job done for learning technique?
haha, I was just sending you a PM.

The North board is a fun board to ride, but it is very much a mix between a raceboard and a conventional directional. I found it a little hard to ride it flat, but it is easy to ride in general.

They will not even be close to a 70 cm wide board in the light wind / upwind comparison, but still fun to ride. Personally I would go with something with more fin..more race...maybe they have an option to get other fins? The reason is that it is not a good surfboard, and if you already have a surfboard (I suspect you do), then you want to use that in waves....

Also see if the fins boxes are tuttle boxes, because then you can get other fins for it. A board with a little more volume sits better down IMO.

What are your goals for the raceboard? Definitely some development from last year to now, but that doesn't mean last years boards aren't fun :-)
\
..so if you can get a North board cheap then I would look a step up.

Obviously I like the Naish boards..its what I've been riding by far the most..but not only because it is a Naish board...last years model already had the thruster that most brands and pros are using now...the only issue is that the fins are medium sized, which is good for learning and downwind speed, but not *as* good as bigger fins. However the boxes are tuttle, so supposedly you can just get some, any, tuttle fins. The thruster gives a better mix of up upwind drive and downwind control.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:01 pm

have a look at the Airush sector 60 V2 , they are great boards to start with, you can race them hard but also cruise with them, they are Free race boards and I would catogorise them as 75% race and 25% free ride board.

Add to this a 16M Nitro race from Switch kites depending on your weight you could also do with a 14m Nitro from Switchkites, and you will have a lot of GREAT fun, for "little money" with no restrictions to building quality and aftersales.

http://switchkites.com/showroom/kites/nitro.html
http://www.airush.com/blog/design-corne ... -sector-v2

Greetz
Frank L.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:57 pm

Naishdude, have you ridden the nitro 16?

Cabrinha transport looks interesting but definitely more freeride than race.

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:35 am

What are your goals for the raceboard? Definitely some development from last year to now, but that doesn't mean last years boards aren't fun :-)
I used to race sailboats(still do sometimes)My goals are to race windward leeward courses...eventualy...all possible conditions. East coast racing is limited at best, expecially in charleston. But sailboat racing is HUGE. I'd like to get some gear, A GPS, and start honing my VMG(if you have to ask don't worry about it). While doing so I'll demo at local dinghy events and win converts. Eventually I'd like a local fleet where we all vote on a production board to use, and race weekly on that board, that way we're racing against people, not checkbooks. Update boards every 2 years Fleet updates kites annually. Strict cost control. Keep as many people in the game as possible.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:05 am

TooMuchEpoxy wrote:
I used to race sailboats(still do sometimes)My goals are to race windward leeward courses...eventualy...all possible conditions. East coast racing is limited at best, expecially in charleston. But sailboat racing is HUGE. I'd like to get some gear, A GPS, and start honing my VMG(if you have to ask don't worry about it). While doing so I'll demo at local dinghy events and win converts. Eventually I'd like a local fleet where we all vote on a production board to use, and race weekly on that board, that way we're racing against people, not checkbooks. Update boards every 2 years Fleet updates kites annually. Strict cost control. Keep as many people in the game as possible.
Have a talk to Dave >>> Dave Tyburski <dave@airush.com>, unofficial news that I heard is that Airush is planning a one class group with their Sector 60 free raceboards... this would hit your target. The Airsuh sector 60 is good for racing and long distance cruising etc

And if it is about costs, you cannot be wrong with SWITCH KITES and Aisrush Sector 60 V2, make the calculation...and you will see!!!!
Hope this helps a bit towards your goal
Frank L.
Last edited by naishdude on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:14 am

davesails7 wrote:Naishdude, have you ridden the nitro 16?

Cabrinha transport looks interesting but definitely more freeride than race.
Davesails,

No I have a SWITCH KITES NITRO 14 to use as my lightwindkite, as I am not into racing, but into long distance cruising, the 14 fits perfectly with my Airush Sector 60 V2.

I think this is a perfect match not only on the water , but surely in your wallet too, this setup makes racing or lightwind cruising affordable for everyone, and having as much fun and quality time as others who can or are willing to spend more $$.

Cheers
Frank L.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Spain
Danemark
France
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5

Postby naishdude » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:20 am

Some pics of the SWITC KITES Nitro 14
Frank L.

Return to “Kitesurfing”