Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish 2012

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9407
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Naish 2012

Postby tautologies » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:42 pm

TooMuchEpoxy wrote:I duno about it being comparable to the avisos. I mean i'm not saying it's not as good, but they are vastly different construction methods and materials. Just because they're both covered in clear coat carbon doesn't mean they're made the same. Apples and oranges....


You might be right. I really do not know exactly. As far as I have heard that board does not have a hollow center like the Aviso. Which might be good too no?

But carbon is still expensive though :-) I'm definitely demoing that board :thumb:

BudhaNl
Medium Poster
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:03 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Pivot 2016: 5-7, 2015: 10
F-One Trax 2014
Firewire Vanguard 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish 2012

Postby BudhaNl » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:21 pm

So today I was able to demo the Park 2012 10m. I was at a new spot, quite a bit of current, and winds were predicted to be in the low 20s, gusting up to 27. A beachclub had organised a downwinder event, so a lot of brands had set up. Of those, 'only' F-one and Naish had my interest beforehand.

Arriving on the beach, I didn't even have to pump my kite as there was a Park 10m ready to go. I had prepared for the reduced bar pressure mentally but was still surprised when I went out. Coming from the Bandit Dos, I'm used to a lot of bar pressure, and mentally I equate that with power. It was just different to get such a much more smoooth power delivery with the Park.

A second thing that really surprised me was the jumping. Going out the first time, I hit a wave and pulled in the bar just a little bit, which was rewarded with a jump & hangtime I didn't have any right to have! Throughout the afternoon, I've not jumped too much without waves, but those also felt very easy. Thumbs up for that!

Another positive aspect was the behavior in gusts. Being close to 190 lbs., I can handle a kite, but I would never take out my Bandit Dos when it's gusting over 30 knots. I had those today, wind being in the upper 20s during an episode of rain, and I was riding very comfortably, not issue whatsoever. I hadn't hit the highend yet.

After that rain and wind, the wind dropped, and then I really had to work the kite to stay up. Fortunately, the Park is quick (more so than the Bandit Dos), and that helped me, but still, I could do with a bit more lowend.

The depower system still is a bit of a mystery for me, I wasn't working that intuitively. I could depower but it took me several tries. Probably user error but I think I should state it anyway.

Of course, I dropped the kite in the surf :) , waves up to 6-8 feet or so. It got washed a bit, it turned inside out and then a couple of twists, but a/ nothing broke, and b/ the kite relaunched afterwards and with power & steering lines twisted, it was easy to get back to the beach and sort that out.

In the end, I haven't flown another kite this afternoon. The Park is a huge upgrade for me, I really like the smooth power delivery and the easy jumping. Onepump is nice as I want to be on the water asap. To combat the lowend thing, I'll opt for the 11 as the big kite, and get the 8 as I think I will be able to hit the very high 30s (gusts) with that.

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9407
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Naish 2012

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:31 am

BudhaNl wrote:So today I was able to demo the Park 2012 10m. I was at a new spot, quite a bit of current, and winds were predicted to be in the low 20s, gusting up to 27. A beachclub had organised a downwinder event, so a lot of brands had set up. Of those, 'only' F-one and Naish had my interest beforehand.

Arriving on the beach, I didn't even have to pump my kite as there was a Park 10m ready to go. I had prepared for the reduced bar pressure mentally but was still surprised when I went out. Coming from the Bandit Dos, I'm used to a lot of bar pressure, and mentally I equate that with power. It was just different to get such a much more smoooth power delivery with the Park.

A second thing that really surprised me was the jumping. Going out the first time, I hit a wave and pulled in the bar just a little bit, which was rewarded with a jump & hangtime I didn't have any right to have! Throughout the afternoon, I've not jumped too much without waves, but those also felt very easy. Thumbs up for that!

Another positive aspect was the behavior in gusts. Being close to 190 lbs., I can handle a kite, but I would never take out my Bandit Dos when it's gusting over 30 knots. I had those today, wind being in the upper 20s during an episode of rain, and I was riding very comfortably, not issue whatsoever. I hadn't hit the highend yet.

After that rain and wind, the wind dropped, and then I really had to work the kite to stay up. Fortunately, the Park is quick (more so than the Bandit Dos), and that helped me, but still, I could do with a bit more lowend.

The depower system still is a bit of a mystery for me, I wasn't working that intuitively. I could depower but it took me several tries. Probably user error but I think I should state it anyway.

Of course, I dropped the kite in the surf :) , waves up to 6-8 feet or so. It got washed a bit, it turned inside out and then a couple of twists, but a/ nothing broke, and b/ the kite relaunched afterwards and with power & steering lines twisted, it was easy to get back to the beach and sort that out.

In the end, I haven't flown another kite this afternoon. The Park is a huge upgrade for me, I really like the smooth power delivery and the easy jumping. Onepump is nice as I want to be on the water asap. To combat the lowend thing, I'll opt for the 11 as the big kite, and get the 8 as I think I will be able to hit the very high 30s (gusts) with that.


Sounds awesome!! I just wanted to mention, that if you add on the extensions the kite the low end increases. The 8 is unreal :-) Be careful looping that thing. It pulls pretty well :thumb: :thumb:

BudhaNl
Medium Poster
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:03 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Pivot 2016: 5-7, 2015: 10
F-One Trax 2014
Firewire Vanguard 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish 2012

Postby BudhaNl » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:33 am

tautologies wrote:
Sounds awesome!! I just wanted to mention, that if you add on the extensions the kite the low end increases. The 8 is unreal :-) Be careful looping that thing. It pulls pretty well :thumb: :thumb:


The 10m had extensions on the back lines, not on the front lines, which I thought a bit weird? I'm not up to looping yet, and am not certain whether I ever will :lol:

User avatar
Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 921
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2003 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Pivot 2016 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10, Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Paname (suburb)

Re: Naish 2012

Postby Phil » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:56 pm

BudhaNl wrote:The 10m had extensions on the back lines, not on the front lines, which I thought a bit weird?

Not sure what extensions you are talking about...

The ones used for increasing the low-end are the 4m extension lines set provided with the kites (from 9m and bigger) for both front and back lines.

Image 1.png
Image 1.png (208.01 KiB) Viewed 1676 times

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe

BudhaNl
Medium Poster
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:03 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Pivot 2016: 5-7, 2015: 10
F-One Trax 2014
Firewire Vanguard 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish 2012

Postby BudhaNl » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:53 pm

Phil wrote:Not sure what extensions you are talking about...

The ones used for increasing the low-end are the 4m extension lines set provided with the kites (from 9m and bigger) for both front and back lines.


It was something I've never seen either, but really the kite did have extensions of about 5 feet on the back lines. Didn't look like these you just posted at all.

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9407
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Naish 2012

Postby tautologies » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:37 pm

I think you are talking about the the backline pigtail. Naish has those on so that you the back and front lines are the same length. They are really just long pigtails :-)

The 4 meter extensions will make the low end better. and the jumping even better.

Check if you rode the kite with 20 meter or 24 meter lines. The 10 works really well with either... :-)

BudhaNl
Medium Poster
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:03 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Pivot 2016: 5-7, 2015: 10
F-One Trax 2014
Firewire Vanguard 5'2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish 2012

Postby BudhaNl » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:59 am

tautologies wrote:I think you are talking about the the backline pigtail. Naish has those on so that you the back and front lines are the same length. They are really just long pigtails :-)

The 4 meter extensions will make the low end better. and the jumping even better.

Check if you rode the kite with 20 meter or 24 meter lines. The 10 works really well with either... :-)


That'll be it then! I have been on the 20 meter lines then, there were no extensions on when I walked out the lines.

So there's a next question: how many knots would you gain in the lowend with the 10m on 24 meter lines compared to 20m lines? And, how would that 10m/24 compare to an 11m on 20 meter lines?

H C
Rare Poster
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:59 am

Re: Naish 2012

Postby H C » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:49 pm

I am relativly new to kiting but seem happy with getting Naish Park 2012 kites.
Two issues are bothering my though one being the octopus inflation system (which I can't do anything about) and the below the bar depower system,

The Naish torch uses a above the bar system - I am wondering would this be compatable ?

I hope this is not a silly question I feel I would prefer this trim strap system any opinions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

H C

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9407
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Naish 2012

Postby tautologies » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:41 am

H C wrote:I am relativly new to kiting but seem happy with getting Naish Park 2012 kites.
Two issues are bothering my though one being the octopus inflation system (which I can't do anything about) and the below the bar depower system,

The Naish torch uses a above the bar system - I am wondering would this be compatable ?

I hope this is not a silly question I feel I would prefer this trim strap system any opinions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

H C


I don't think it would be a huge issue, but the above the bar system has a lot less bar throw, and the depower range is less. Also I I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to depower the kite at all. Because you have so much range on the throw. Once you get used to it, it really is not an issue.

You don't have to worry about the octopus. I changed a bladder the other day. It took me about 30 seconds more than any no-one pump kite. It is not an issue IMO

What parks are you looking at?


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests