Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cheap, durable raceboard.

Forum for kitesurfers
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Cheap, durable raceboard.

Postby ronnie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:34 pm

As you can see here, they are selling the 2011 Cabrinha Race quad 183 by 59 for £699 and the 2012 Race, with 5 tuttle boxes and 4 tuttle fins is £1150 for the 188 by 69.5.

http://www.kingofwatersports.com/cabrin ... 21465.html

The 2011 183 is based on the Aguera CR59 on which Adam Koch won the 2010 World Championship.

Its going to be more race related than the Sector and they are currently selling them at discount.

Its hard to tell what is going to happen with the production race boards. They seem to be stabilising on a tri fin about 69cm wide and maybe 5 footstraps.

Once the racing starts in 2012 though, conditions may dictate choosing different sizes of board for each event, much like they do in windsurf Slalom, where they have to register 3 boards and 6 sails for the year, so maybe smaller boards will be relevant?

If you were going to only have one board racing though, a 69 cm tri fin would seem to be the way to go, because you would get the maximum racing from it and it is like most of the 2012 racers. They also seem to handle a wide range of conditions (albeit probably with more than one set of fins, and the fins are very expensive).

Problem is, you may have to wait until they are discounted, but you would get a very high quality board then.

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gbleck » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:43 pm

I'd say it looks like the top end guys only need the one board.

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:53 pm

Waiting for a discount isn't an option. Once something is discounted it is presumably of limited availability, making it unsuitable for fleet growth. The builder needs to be on board for this to work. The more I think about it a sucessful One Design board needs to be a purpose built craft, made, not for competing against other boards, but for competing against itself. Because of this, I think a One Design windsurfer manufacturer(Bic or Mistral) has a greater chance of success than any of the current kite race board manufacturers. Best thing I see in the pipe is the airush one design

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:26 pm

The Sector V2 60 sounds like a versatile board that is easy and enjoyable to sail.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kite ... tor-60-V2/

Logically, i would expect that you would have to set a minimum windspeed for Sector racing of at least 8 knots so that kites could be relaunched, and the 60 cm Sector would be a fun way of having racing with a board that seems to be fun to just freeride too.

It does seem that IKO level raceboards are much more technical and physical to race.

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:45 pm

Does anybody know if that Sector One Design is happening? That press release was linked in an earlier post but I can't find anything connected to it. I'd be super interested in the Sector 60 v2 if i had more into from airush, expecially if they were planning one design support.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:24 pm

They seem to be selling a One Design Sector here:-

http://westozkiteboarding.com.au/kite/k ... kiteboards

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:31 pm

No picture, no presence on the 2012 airush site.(what's up with that site? looks like they only sell 4 products) Wrong country, continent, hemisphere.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:39 pm

TooMuchEpoxy wrote:No picture, no presence on the 2012 airush site.(what's up with that site? looks like they only sell 4 products) Wrong country, continent, hemisphere.
TME, try to mail Dave Tubirsky, he will surely help you...
Or have a look at their forum...
http://www.airush.com/forum/index.php
I think they are just changing their webite in the 2012 edition...although I have no clue..
hope this helps
Frank L.

SWITCHKITES teamrider

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:22 pm

the 2011 Cabrinha 183 is PERFECT to get started in racing...and yes they are on sale now. Quad fin; fronts are 29s and rears are 26s. One racer in the Cabrinha Race Series was 5th overall on one of these boards (used it 2/3rd of the season and then got his hand a one of the new 69.5s). Another racer won the Silver fleet on one of these baby's. A third racer used the stock board and fins all year and finished 7th (might have been 8th) overall

as you get a better feel for racing, you and upgrade the fins (bigger and better) as two of the above racers did.

steve

Luvwenitsnuking
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Miami
Style: All
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Luvwenitsnuking » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:47 pm

There is a good deal now on the Cabrinha race boards , I just got a 2011 Crossbow 16m and 183 Raceboard for $1749.00 at Adventure Sports Miami. I got an email with this add an went and jumped on one of these the next day.

info@adventuresportsmiami.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”