Rare Poster
Style: freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

South Africa

Postby korkus20 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi,
I'm planning to go on a surfing trip to South Africa in this October.
I would like what are the best places over there for freestyle surfing,
and what kite size is recommended (for 85 kg surfer).

Thanks a lot,
Ofir.

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Re: South Africa

Postby ChickenTikka » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm not the best expert on here so will let the experts comment, but October is early in the season.

You'll probably want a big kite say around 12 meters and a small one around 8. There is tons of great coastline to explore.

Aside from that the place is amazing. I'm looking to rent a place the in january for a month I loved it so much.

Water is cold. Bring a full body wetsuit.

You'll love it!

Pippi langsamer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay
Langebaan
Dolphin Beach
Shark Bay
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Postby Pippi langsamer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:40 am

I would agree that October is a little early for the pumping South Easters, but there still should be a good amount of wind. I’d also suggest a 12 and an 8 or 9. I’m same weight as you and 9 was my most used size in my two years there. There’s usually a fairly steady build-up in the South East Cape Dr, so if some days look to be honking, just get out earlier mid to late morning. Can’t actually remember what last October was like.

Look to stay anywhere along the West Coast area- Bloubergstrand, Table View, Melkbosstrand etc. There’s about 15-20kms of kite beaches along here with varying degrees of swell (Hakgaat for the bigger waves). My favourite spot was always Dolphin Beach.

There’s potential to do nice long down-winders too with arranged drop-off n pick-up. Google “thekitesnest”

If you want flat water, head up to Langebaan lagoon (about an hour drive), where you’ve got Main Beach in town, or Klein Oesterwaal (Shark Bay), which is very shallow. Both within 5 mins drive of each other.

My Father-in-Law has a nice little self contained flatlet a walkable distance to both these places in Langebaan. I can provide details if you’re interested.

Plenty of places to kite, plenty of kite shops, plenty of après-kiting watering/ eating holes!

I long to be back there…..sniff…………..

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:37 am

If you can only bring one kite, I would say bring the 9m. The wind for October averages 15-20kn in Cape Town with the occasional stronger day. You might also like to check out PE/Cannon Rocks which has some good wind and waves that time of year.

If you are going to rent a car I would suggest following windguru forecast while you are here and chase the wind around the Southern African coast. There are plenty of guest houses along all our coasts so its not a problem finding accommodation on the fly.

If you prefer to stay in on place and not rent a car then anywhere in Blouberg will work for you.

kitecomedy
Rare Poster

some more Wind-questions...

Postby kitecomedy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:49 pm

Hi,
I'm going to be in Capetown in January till beginning of February: is it often going to be more than 30-35 knots?
And how is the strongest Wind in Langebaan?
My smallest is a 7 and I'm not comfortable with this one when it is more than 35...
Thanks for your Help,
Micha

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Lanc wrote:If you can only bring one kite, I would say bring the 9m. The wind for October averages 15-20kn in Cape Town with the occasional stronger day. You might also like to check out PE/Cannon Rocks which has some good wind and waves that time of year.

If you are going to rent a car I would suggest following windguru forecast while you are here and chase the wind around the Southern African coast. There are plenty of guest houses along all our coasts so its not a problem finding accommodation on the fly.

If you prefer to stay in on place and not rent a car then anywhere in Blouberg will work for you.

Yep, Cannon Rocks is the place at the moment. Using anything from an 11 to a 5m in the last two weeks.

www.cannonrocks.com
kitecomedy wrote:Hi,
I'm going to be in Capetown in January till beginning of February: is it often going to be more than 30-35 knots?
My smallest is a 7 and I'm not comfortable with this one when it is more than 35...
Thanks for your Help,
Micha
Wind gets strong that time of the year, but it normally builds over the day so you should still be able to get decent sessions.

Ced

Pippi langsamer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay
Langebaan
Dolphin Beach
Shark Bay
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Re: some more Wind-questions...

Postby Pippi langsamer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:07 am

kitecomedy wrote:Hi,
Thanks for your Help,
Micha
Yep, wind will be h o n k i n g that time of year :thumb:

I'd say 35knt + days are probably few n far between in general, but as stated above, just make sure you get out in the morning. The wind seems to really pick-up about 1pm onwards and probably builds to the 35knt mark some evenings. Great thing is this fairly linear curve of wind strength over time of day during the summer.

I would say 7m is probably the smallest size most riders use- it's only the loons that venture out in the 5m conditions.

Other "general" rule-of-thumb, is that the winds drop off a little the more north you go- i.e if Blouberg etc is blown-out, you'll probably find conditions an hour up the road in Langebaan aren't quite as hectic (esp Shark Bay)

Check out the two websites below for more local feedback. ikitebaording seems to be dying a death, but hopefully the dirtyhabits forum will pick up momentum soon when the summer winds begin to creep back...

http://www.ikiteboarding.com/

http://dirtyhabits.org/

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:36 am

I got out on a five meter way down by the cape of good hope last February. This was intense kiting. I originally pumped up my 8 meter but was massively overpowered. I took my sister in laws kite instead and had a blast.

The spot by the cape of good hope is intense. The water is freezing, the surf is mean, there are baboons...

briansuntrax
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin Beach, Tableview.
Golfinho hotel, Cumbuco.
Favorite Beaches: Dolphin Beach.
Cumbuco, upwind of Golfinho hotel.
Taiba to Paracaru downwinder.
Rede beach at low tide.
NOT Cauipe
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Dash and Pivots - Monarch TT.
Brand Affiliation: Owner Suntrax - Importer Naish Kitesuf South Africa.

Postby briansuntrax » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:21 pm

As a kite store owner for 12 years in Cape Town, I would agree generaly with the advice already given.

At 85kg if I was coming to Cape Town in October with a TT, I would have 12.0, 9.0 and 7.0 - on a directional wave board probably 10.0 and 7.0.

In Jan/Feb same sizes except if I was 70 - 80kg then I would have 1 size smaller all round.
There are however a few days when I would need a 5.0, if I desperately needed to kite :-)

kitecomedy
Rare Poster

Postby kitecomedy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:21 pm

Thank you very much!! :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”