Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How hard can it be? Wetsuit pee-zipper?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How hard can it be? Wetsuit pee-zipper?

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:54 am

For normal wetsuits I dont see the need, as one can just take the top down and thats it - take a pee, easy.
And others dont mind doing it in the suit.

But for the winther suits (5/3 or 6/5/4) when used at winthertime - it is a major issue for some, as you can not (wont... as your session will be over...) take the top down in snow or cold maybe even freezing conditions.

So here it would be great :D

Although, many ride with drysuits in cold weather here anyway, where you dont have this problem (front zip or pee zip) :roll:

So I think most kitesurfers who use wetsuits at winthertime, rides more "intense" for a shorter period of time.
And those who wants longer sessions, use a drysuit.

Thats what is seen around here, and you can choose yourself what you want 8)

For suits used "away" from winthertime, I can not see how the higher price/process/annoying zipper could be justified - but maybe thats just me who think so ?
But that could explain why there are no, or very few, wetsuits with a pee zip.

:D Peter

Chillbay
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Camber
Greatstone
St Mary's Bay
Style: Freeride/Freestyle ish!
Gear: 8 & 12 mtr RPM's

132 Xenon Laluz, cant afford anything else!
Brand Affiliation: I own a PC so I must be affiliated to Microsoft, I wish :-)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Chillbay » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:17 pm

This thread should be " how do you pee" well i try to go before but sometimes have to let go. One of the past posters said he hates it when someone is chatting to him and he's peeing, it puts him off :lol: with me it's the same but sometimes i do it when riding, it's funny cause i cant do both for some reason and end up crashing :oops: I guess you could always put on a condom, mind you... perhaps not the best idea :-?

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:52 pm

swell wrote:The ION Fuse 2012 model has a zipper, also suitable for women.
I'd pay to see how that "suitable for women" part works out... :naughty: Nope, i'm not into golden showers.... :nono: Just curious.... a pee zipper suitable for women... :o

That being said... the reality is that thin suits flash out very fast anyways... and as much as thick ones are concerned... come on folks, just admit it, in cold weather peeing in the suit is actually rather pleasant, warms up the feet a little... flushes away after a couple of missed jumps too... so why bother? Just avoid taking in too much liquid before going out, especially coffee....

I've just got a new 6/5/4 with the chest zipper, can't imagine taking it of only to take a leak... putting these on/of is a sport in it-self... I won't be too wrong if i'll say that the problem with the pee-zipper is that it will leak, so manufacturers aren't in any rush to be adding any.... for now....

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:25 pm

I believe it was user tillman (?) who aqua-sealed a screw on bottle cap in the front of the suit, and even posted video of him pee'ing. Was about 2 years ago I think, and I thought some of you 'forum historians' would remember that one....

I thought it was a great idea, but of course I had to make a few jokes about it- I simply couldn't resist! :lol:

www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:30 pm

alexeyga wrote:
swell wrote:The ION Fuse 2012 model has a zipper, also suitable for women.
I'd pay to see how that "suitable for women" part works out... :naughty: Nope, i'm not into golden showers.... :nono: Just curious.... a pee zipper suitable for women... :o

That being said... the reality is that thin suits flash out very fast anyways... and as much as thick ones are concerned... come on folks, just admit it, in cold weather peeing in the suit is actually rather pleasant, warms up the feet a little... flushes away after a couple of missed jumps too... so why bother? Just avoid taking in too much liquid before going out, especially coffee....

I've just got a new 6/5/4 with the chest zipper, can't imagine taking it of only to take a leak... putting these on/of is a sport in it-self... I won't be too wrong if i'll say that the problem with the pee-zipper is that it will leak, so manufacturers aren't in any rush to be adding any.... for now....
You are right - the chest zips wont make it "easy"...

They are tighter and warmer and more comfortable :thumb:
I have tried both last years and the 2012 models coming up from GUL, in both 3/2 and 5/3mm.

Has instead chosen both new ones with "back" zippers instead, as I am simply not as flexible as many others, so I almost cant get out of the wetsut again - was almost claustrophobic when I tried one, away from "everyone" - so noone could help me out.
Took a long time before I managed... Has a minor rib injury in the chest ribs, so that did not help either :roll:

But maaaan they are warm and comfortable 8)

Long story short - I forgot about these suits, where you can not take the top down as easily if thick suits, so you are spot on Alex, a sport in itself :thumb:

:D Peter

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:36 pm

iblocalsurfer wrote:Pee is sterile. Besides, it flushes out quickly anyway. Pee is also a great first-aid for jellyfish stings. No one I know comes in for piss breaks anyway. You should just get over your pee phobia.

Urine is sterile in the bladder in a healthy person, but during urination it becomes quite infected by anaerobic rods and cocci that colonize the urethra. One of the "functions of urine" is to flush out bacteria from your urethra. The enclosed space in your wetsuit is sufficiently anaerobic to cause infections to any zits, small cuts or abrasions.

But if you do a good body drag holding the suit open a bit at the neck should flush most of it out.

However this is not a significant risk. The real risk is attracting sharks.

Sharks are attracted by urine at greater distances than blood.
This is for several reasons.
Urinating in a wet suit will leave a trail of urine for quite a long time as the urine first leaves the wetsuit in signifcant volume and then as traces are rinsed out of it. Urine will get into the booties and much more gradually work it's way out.
Unlike a swimmer or a surfer a kitesurfer will leave his or her urine trail quicker so it is less of a risk, but still a significant one.

Why are sharks attracted by urine.
First of all a fish near a trail or urine is a fish that has urinated. By eating this fish the shark is eating less urine.
Second sharks instinctively avoid wasting energy. They favor eating fish that have already been perused by other fish. When a fish is chased by a predator it evacuates urine to accelerate its flight.
A shark will sense this and home in on both predator and the prayed upon fish and eat both if it can.
Urine diffuses through water faster than blood.

Shark attacks are quite rare, but it's not a good idea to tempt fate.

Statistical studies in Australia and South Africa have linked urination to shark attacks.

AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:34 pm

Personally, im not much afraid of sharks, they are not many of them around here. Many here on KF also seem keen on trying to get me into the cold water again even though i just came out for a break. Flushing is something I try to avoid, water here is chilly. Someone previously talked about urine being irritant and possibly infectious, so i don't want urine lingering on my skin for longer periods of time. I simply don't like the idea of peeing in my clothes.

I work with kitesurfing, as teacher and also with guests, so often i stay the whole day in my wetsuit. I would therefore prefer to keep it on, avoiding the windchill (i will survive it, i know, just not comfy) and also the hassle of getting it off and then back on.

So of you wish to pee in your suit, go ahead, but you will not convice me into doing so. I would rather here about clever solutions or brands that make suits with pee-zippers. How about a velcro solution, overlapped. Would be soft and bendable, and fairly waterproof is constructed correctly. Screwcap sounds funny, but not so nice if you crash...

LastChance813
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Treasure Island
Favorite Beaches: Cocoa, Sand Key
Style: Kook
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Zero

Postby LastChance813 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:58 am

AndKite wrote:Personally, im not much afraid of sharks, they are not many of them around here. Many here on KF also seem keen on trying to get me into the cold water again even though i just came out for a break. Flushing is something I try to avoid, water here is chilly. Someone previously talked about urine being irritant and possibly infectious, so i don't want urine lingering on my skin for longer periods of time. I simply don't like the idea of peeing in my clothes.

I work with kitesurfing, as teacher and also with guests, so often i stay the whole day in my wetsuit. I would therefore prefer to keep it on, avoiding the windchill (i will survive it, i know, just not comfy) and also the hassle of getting it off and then back on.

So of you wish to pee in your suit, go ahead, but you will not convice me into doing so. I would rather here about clever solutions or brands that make suits with pee-zippers. How about a velcro solution, overlapped. Would be soft and bendable, and fairly waterproof is constructed correctly. Screwcap sounds funny, but not so nice if you crash...
I always find it humorous when people say something like "im not much afraid of sharks, they are not many of them around here." my cousin is a shark and he would tell you otherwise!
Seriously though I agree with you on this. I bet there is a neoprene lined zipper (on the inside) that you could stitch on then use wetsuit repair glue to make it a bit less drafty in the crotch region. I think the biggest concern for me in doing Image THIS

Regfellow
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ribban

Postby Regfellow » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:08 am

It must be some american urban legend about the zipper and the dick and balls... who have ever got stuck in the zipper?! ; )

Either you got some humongus things down there, too tight pants or you need to start wear something under...

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:50 pm

I can't pee when I am kiting. It's something to do with the pressure of the harness on my kidneys. I just go before/after my session.

I don't think I would feel right riding along with my tackle hanging out the front of my wetsuit, especially surrounded by nasty zippy teeth. :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”