Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cheap, durable raceboard.

Forum for kitesurfers
KAWIKA
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for Switch don't get payed by Switch luv the kites & price
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cheap, durable raceboard.

Postby KAWIKA » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:30 am

TooMuchEpoxy wrote:Good lord that's tempting. I just might say screw the fleet, i'm gettin the kite AND the board. That puts cabrinha in the realm of possibility, however, I'd have a hard time building a fleet with that setup, but I'd never have to complain about the breeze again. As long as there's enough to hot launch...

I'd still rather someone come out with a sub $1000 board and just get the switch Nitro 14 that way i could get others on the bandwagon...

Considering this tho...
Switch 14 in light east wind in Jupiter 9-13 mph I can only imagine what it can do on a lake like Crandon with a race board http://youtu.be/7urqF_G52dI

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:31 pm

Now that I've got this cabrinha 183 do i need to upgrade my fins? Stock are 26, 24 i think. Glass with carbon/kevlar overlay(Wish I had G10) Not Terribly impresive both on durability and quality...

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:58 pm

they also come with 29s and 26s....maybe you can swap if y=you haven't used. still nice fins to get the feel of racing and as I think I indicated previously, one racer at the Cabrinha Race Series finished 7th of 8th overall on the stock fins. If you get more serious about racing, maybe you already are, you will need to upgrade the fins.

Paulo of Rista fins is very familiar with the board and Cabrinha XB and has made great G10 fins for it...the angle of the front fins is as important as the size.

Tectonic also makes fins for that board that work great...the Talons or the Gullwings...

ALL are not inexpensive
might also want to contact Adventure sports miami and see if they can put you in touch with Patrick or Damo...they might have a used set of fins for hyou
steve

TooMuchEpoxy
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly, Sullivans, IOP
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Waves

Postby TooMuchEpoxy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Might stick with these fins for now. Fins are expensive...

patrickrynne
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Biscayne Bay
Style: Racing & Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbows
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Adventure Sports Miami, Kiteracing.com, Patagonia, Kaenon Polarized

Postby patrickrynne » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:43 pm

upgrading the fins really depends on what you're trying to get out of the board. If you are mostly freeriding, than the stock fins will work fin and might make the raceboard learning curve a bit easier.

If you want to maximize the performance of the 183, you'll want to get some good G10 fins in the ballpark of 34cm long front, 28-29cm long rears (running the standard quad configuration). The chord length at the base should be around 9-11cm...10cm is most common. The cant angle of the front should be about 6-7 degrees. The rears should be straight. Rake angle is about 10 degrees.

if you have no idea what i am talking about, check here http://kiteracing.com/Fin_Terms.html

These bigger fins will allow the board to heel to leeward more and really let you drive upwind. Downside is that they are bit harder to ride and take getting used to, but once you do, you'll never go back. We might have some prototypes available in that size but i'd need to check. If i run across something I will post it here.

have fun!

-patrick

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:58 pm

TooMuchEpoxy wrote:Might stick with these fins for now. Fins are expensive...
Just keep those fins - they are A Okay :thumb:

Only thing you might consider - is to get seaweed fins, if you HAVE any grass in the water ?

It will be :x :x :x otherwise...

But those fins are way more difficult to get - but no matter how costly, they are worth it - as you will be able to ride so much more relaxed and performant, if you got seaweed :rollgrin:

:D Peter

PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding

Postby PeterP » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:52 pm

We've now been racing the Sector 60 One Design in six races here in Cape Town and the results have been quite phenomenal - 2 race wins and on the podium with one or two boards in all races. This against North and and Cabrinha raceboards.

The Sector One Design has brought fun back into racing here as we are not only dicing for the lead in stronger winds but have some cool close racing amongst ourselves on the Sectors. Board is so easy to use, you rock up and go, no need to fiddle with fins - the guys have tried, standard set-up works better.

So to answer first guys question - Sector is a great affordable competitive raceboard which offer free-ride qualities and is dead easy to use.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:25 pm

is that a thread about this joke when you want three qualities, but can get only two of them at a time?
cheap - durable - race

1st choice: cheap + durable, but not a raceboard.
2nd choice: durable + race, but not cheap.
3rd choice: cheap + race, but not durable.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:33 pm

How many people are in the races?

Is the Sector One Design available now or are you talking about the standard Sector 60 V2?

What size fins does the board come with?

PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding

Postby PeterP » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:21 am

We have about 20 odd racers every week - which is down from previous years where we had up to 40. We're hoping the One Design will rekindle some interest.

The Sector 60 One Design is the same as the Sector 60 V2 and it comes with 22 and 24cm fins.

There are fleets developing in Spain and Australia and other pockets from what I've heard and there is supposed to be a World Champs One Design event some time as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”