Venom 19m
Phantom 15m

Radical Harness/Spinning Spreader Bar
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New from southeastern MI

Postby omnismurfz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:37 am

Hey fellow kiters, I'm new on the forums here, but ive been on powerkiteforum for a bit. I started kiting this past summer when I bought a scout II 4m, I have a good amount of hrs logged on it and I ended up buying some other kites. I got a 19m venom and a 15m phantom. I then bought lines and a harness and a bar none of which is hooked up or connected and im very lost on setting it all up... I was wondering if anyone in the near area would mind meeting up and helping me figure out the setup and giving me some tips or whatever you feel like. I live in macomb michigan btw!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: New from southeastern MI

Postby edt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:32 pm

omnismurfz wrote:Hey fellow kiters, I'm new on the forums here, but ive been on powerkiteforum for a bit. I started kiting this past summer when I bought a scout II 4m, I have a good amount of hrs logged on it and I ended up buying some other kites. I got a 19m venom and a 15m phantom. I then bought lines and a harness and a bar none of which is hooked up or connected and im very lost on setting it all up... I was wondering if anyone in the near area would mind meeting up and helping me figure out the setup and giving me some tips or whatever you feel like. I live in macomb michigan btw!
I dont know anything about buggy riding. But if you're interested in kiteboarding or snowboarding here are all the contacts:

our forum http://www.kiteus.com/forums/index.php

shops you can get lessons from

kyle http://detroitkiteboarding.com he's at the blue lagoon marina right on lake st clair
alex http://redbellyboardshop.com has a store in ann arbor
mark http://motorcitykiteboarding.com tawas
brian http://www.greatlakeskiteboarding.com tawas

see http://michigan.kiteus.com for where we ride

I don't know anyone in SE MI who rides buggies, landboards or uses venoms or phantom, we ride liquid force, north, wainman, flysurfer, best, ozone, slingshot, on the frozen stuff in the winter and the water in the summer. Good luck.

omnismurfz
Rare Poster
Gear: Scout II 4m
Venom 19m
Phantom 15m

Postby omnismurfz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:17 pm

TY for the info, I'm going to call kyle today.

Also I don't buggy either, nor am I planning on it. I was mainly interested in snowkiting and maybe some kiteboarding next summer. You don't think these kites are good for that?

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:57 pm

omnismurfz wrote:TY for the info, I'm going to call kyle today.

Also I don't buggy either, nor am I planning on it. I was mainly interested in snowkiting and maybe some kiteboarding next summer. You don't think these kites are good for that?
My advice is buy a brand new kite and get going. I suppose it's possible to use those kites for snow kiting and kiteboarding it might take you months to learn in what you otherwise would be able to figure out in days or weeks. A brand new kite will give you tons of depower, safety and ability to relaunch. What good is it to have a cheap kite with poor relaunch capabilities, if every time you crash it, your session is over? I also like brand new kites for a beginner because if you kook it up, at least you know your safeties, and lines will all work as advertised.

I know plenty of people on this forum advise getting an older kite, but not too old, because they are cheaper, but for a newbie, figuring out which is good and what is worthless is an impossible task, it's much quicker to get a new kite and get started immediately without having to worry about your gear.

Once you get to the intermediate phase, you can go try whatever old stuff you want, and you can use those foils for snow kiting, but as a beginner, you progress so much faster with a brand new and forgiving kite.

The kites you mentioned are particularly well suited for buggies and landboarding but we don't practice that landlocked sport much here in MI, nestled as it is in the biggest coastline of continental united states.

Hope to see you this Friday, take the day off work, it's gonna blow!

omnismurfz
Rare Poster
Venom 19m
Phantom 15m

Postby omnismurfz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:46 pm

Well I already bought these kites and the lines and bar and etc. If I did turn around and sell them would I be able to use the lines I have and bar? Twinskin 04 bar, Custom power lines. Im honestly not worried about learning how to fly them though, Ive always been a very quick learner. They also told me on the other forums that getting a FSer first would be very heard to learn on... So many different opinions.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:40 pm

I doubt that they are compatible. In kiteboarding 2007 is ancient. 2004 practically prehistoric, it's before they developed the ability to flag out the kite, back in those days, if you hit a gust, you just hoped there was nothing hard downwind of you, and you would frantically search for your "Oh Shit" ring. Back then it was so dangerous people often didn't even ride with a leash, just to make it easier to throw away the kite.

Depower in 2004 is not what we call "depower" today. Back in 2004 depower was about 4 inches of bar travel. In other words, it's still basically a two line kite, but they pretend you have the ability to sheet out. Mostly cosmetic. Depower ratios would give you maybe a 25% depower.

Today a typical kite will give you 80% depower from bar throw, and 100% flag out capabilities, and some kites will give you up to 85% depower.

so yeah, most 2004 kites basically will handle like a 2 line kite in regards to safety and depower, it wasn't until 2005-2006 that they figured out how to make a supported leading edge kite.

Back in those days, kiteboarders would spend half the time scared out of their wits, and half the time completely bored, because the kite range was so incredibly limited. That is why back in the day, the learning curve was so steep.

Today kiters pretty much skip the "terrified" stage and go right into the "How do I ride upwind" stage in the first few weeks.

I'm not sure how anyone learned how to kiteboard back in 2004, seems suicidal.

omnismurfz
Rare Poster
Venom 19m
Phantom 15m

Postby omnismurfz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Well f***.

Dj A-Ron
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake MI
Port Huron MI (Lake Huron)
Metro Beach MI (Lake St. Clair)
Harsens Island MI (Lake St. Clair)
Favorite Beaches: Tawas MI (Lake Huron)
Oscoda MI (Lake Huron)
Little Sable Point MI (Lake Michigan)
The Flats (Key West)
Anywhere in Cape Hatteras
Kite Beach (Maui)
La Ventana (Mexico)
Barkers (Grand Caymen)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"

Postby Dj A-Ron » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:35 am

Everything edt is telling you is absolutely true. But don't get discouraged about it. Get ahold of one of the guys he suggested and get yourself a lesson. You will be taught on current gear and then you can make a more educated decision when you do buy a modern kite. I learned in early 2009 so I didn't learn on the old kites that edt mentioned. But now that I am an Intermediate kiter I did fly a 2004 Cabrinha kite and it was pretty freaky! I agree with edt and I don't understand how people learned and had fun on this prehistoric gear.

I personally taught myself on the snow in February with a 2008 Liquid Force Havoc that I bought new. The only training I had was watching begginer video's over and over. I don't recommend my approach. I could have progressed much faster with a lesson and saved myself a lot of grief. Actually now that I think back on some of the silly ways I was trying to practice, its just embarassing. In March I went to Key West and got a lesson and was staying up wind the first day and I've been addictied ever since.

Get a couple lessons, get some practice and then buy a new modern kite. It doesn't have to be a 2012 kite. You can find nice deals on 2010 kites. 2008-2012 kites aren't much different. However the saftey systems on the control bars have gotten much better since 2008.

P.S. I am also from south east Michigan so if you have any other questions I will try to help.

omnismurfz
Rare Poster
Venom 19m
Phantom 15m

Postby omnismurfz » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:05 am

Well I bought these kites and I want to use them lol. I just need help setting the lines up, I honestly don't think ill have too much issues learning to fly them... Everyone made it seem like it was such a big deal to start with a small kite to learn how to fly and I think I could have been fine starting bigger. Within 30 mins of the first time flying my scout II i was doing everything with it, loopdey loops, skimming it on the ground without it crashing and pulling it back up, figure 8s, I dont know what else you can do with it lol.

edit: OH where do you guys get ripstop tape? do any of the schools/shops keep it in stock to buy?

Dj A-Ron
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cass Lake MI
Port Huron MI (Lake Huron)
Metro Beach MI (Lake St. Clair)
Harsens Island MI (Lake St. Clair)
Favorite Beaches: Tawas MI (Lake Huron)
Oscoda MI (Lake Huron)
Little Sable Point MI (Lake Michigan)
The Flats (Key West)
Anywhere in Cape Hatteras
Kite Beach (Maui)
La Ventana (Mexico)
Barkers (Grand Caymen)
Style: Freeride/Freestyle
Gear: Kites: Epic Renegade 9m 3G, Airush Lithium 12m & 14m, Blade Fat Lady 17m

Boards: Epic Droid, Oxygen, Spartan, Airush Cypher 5'6"

Postby Dj A-Ron » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:20 am

Sounds like all the fun trainer kite loopdey loops..... figure 8's.....all that suff is very good training that you'll need to progress. I had a Slingshot B3 trainer foil kite that I flew for a few days before my 12 arrived.

I'm sorry I don't know much about the kites that you have. Can't help you much there. You said you have already flown your kites....so why do need help setting them up???

Check here for the ripstop tape: www.fixmykite.com
Skimed it to close to the ground huh??? :lol:
Last edited by Dj A-Ron on Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”