Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone else got scammed with this Mystic vest?

Forum for kitesurfers
Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Anyone else got scammed with this Mystic vest?

Postby Caesar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm talking about the Mystic Kiteboarding Force D30 Impact Vest.

First time I bought this vest was late last year. Still under warranty, the stitches came off and 6 weeks ago I made a warranty claim through the UK dealer I bought the vest from. They came back to me writing: "Ok they (Mystic) are saying it is looking like general wear and tear. I am sorry but they will not be replacing it. I have tried my hardest but sorry it is a no."
The stitches are on both sides of the vest, right at the point where the harness puts most pressure onto the vest and rubs onto it most. It is an obvious design flaw. Would there be only one stitch in the front (on top of the navel) where the least pressure from the harness is, I'm sure such a problem would be avoided for a much longer period.
If I buy a car and the door hinges are falling off during the warranty period, I'm sure I would get them replaced. Obviously (from reading here in the forum) Mystic have big issues fixing problems during the warranty period.
Pretty much pissed off I had no choice but to purchase a new vest. To make sure I get the absolute latest model in the hope those problems are solved (and from the Mystic's website I can't see those stitches there anymore), I ordered a new vest through the same UK dealer I was very happy with in the past.
I specifically asked for the 2011 vest and no other and I explained to them why I wanted the 2011 vest.
My friend brought the vest with him from the UK.
I was shocked when I unpacked the vest seeing that it looked completely different as the photos on the Mystic website.
I sent photos of the vest to Mystic and to the UK dealer asking what model this vest is.
The dealer confirmed it is the Mystic 2011 model.
Mystic came back writing it is a pre-2010 model.
I forwarded that mail to the dealer. They replied Mystic sent those vests to them as the 2011 model, that the dealer sold many of them and they never had a problem. I guess no problem *yet*.
I asked both to either fix the faulty vest under warranty or to have this vest I just purchased replaced by either of them with the new model vest, and to covering the freight charges since it is not my fault.
This was declined by the UK dealer.
I never heard back from Mystic.

Below are two photos of this vest. The vest on the left hand side is the new vest, the other is the vest I purchased late last year.

Anyone else got the same vest sent as the 2011 model?
As you might understand I'm pretty upset about this whole issue (warranty declined, old model vest sent, no apologize offered, both keeping silent whose fault it is etc.)
Attachments
mystic-front.jpg
mystic-back.jpg

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: Anyone else got scammed with this Mystic vest?

Postby POACHER » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks for posting that. I was looking into getting an impact vest and thought the Mystic would be the choice. The D30 stuff is awesome. Hopefully they have the stitching thing figured out.

Is there any amount of flotation provided with the vest or is it purely impact protection?

Good luck with your deal.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:31 pm

customer service is key...if you try to save up on it, it will always get back...good that some companies understand it and are on top of warranties!

It is web 2.0 ... never forget! :idea:

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby RichardM » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:23 pm

Caesar wrote:I'm talking about the Mystic Kiteboarding Force D30 Impact Vest.

First time I bought this vest was late last year. Still under warranty, the stitches came off and 6 weeks ago I made a warranty claim through the UK dealer I bought the vest from. They came back to me writing: "Ok they (Mystic) are saying it is looking like general wear and tear. I am sorry but they will not be replacing it. I have tried my hardest but sorry it is a no."
The stitches are on both sides of the vest, right at the point where the harness puts most pressure onto the vest and rubs onto it most. It is an obvious design flaw. Would there be only one stitch in the front (on top of the navel) where the least pressure from the harness is, I'm sure such a problem would be avoided for a much longer period.
If I buy a car and the door hinges are falling off during the warranty period, I'm sure I would get them replaced. Obviously (from reading here in the forum) Mystic have big issues fixing problems during the warranty period.
Pretty much pissed off I had no choice but to purchase a new vest. To make sure I get the absolute latest model in the hope those problems are solved (and from the Mystic's website I can't see those stitches there anymore), I ordered a new vest through the same UK dealer I was very happy with in the past.
I specifically asked for the 2011 vest and no other and I explained to them why I wanted the 2011 vest.
My friend brought the vest with him from the UK.
I was shocked when I unpacked the vest seeing that it looked completely different as the photos on the Mystic website.
I sent photos of the vest to Mystic and to the UK dealer asking what model this vest is.
The dealer confirmed it is the Mystic 2011 model.
Mystic came back writing it is a pre-2010 model.
I forwarded that mail to the dealer. They replied Mystic sent those vests to them as the 2011 model, that the dealer sold many of them and they never had a problem. I guess no problem *yet*.
I asked both to either fix the faulty vest under warranty or to have this vest I just purchased replaced by either of them with the new model vest, and to covering the freight charges since it is not my fault.
This was declined by the UK dealer.
I never heard back from Mystic.

Below are two photos of this vest. The vest on the left hand side is the new vest, the other is the vest I purchased late last year.

Anyone else got the same vest sent as the 2011 model?
As you might understand I'm pretty upset about this whole issue (warranty declined, old model vest sent, no apologize offered, both keeping silent whose fault it is etc.)
Thanks for your post.

Both the dealer and Mystic should, at the VERY LEAST, NEVER BE USED again.

Although you have already invested an incredible amount of effort with no productive result, if you know of any consumer protection org. that might have influence over these companies, you might complain to them with a short, 1or 2 paragraph letter and copies of everything you sent the companies. (In the US, the BBB, local news orgs, state consumer protection agencies etc.)

Mystic's refusing the warranty work is inexcusable and perhaps fraud.

Please NAME THE DEALER so that others can benefit from your your experience. They are apparently easily guilty of FRAUD. You ordered a 2011 harness. According to the manufacturer, you did NOT get a 2011 harness. The store's BS lame excuse that they got ripped off by Mystic is NOT YOUR PROBLEM no matter what.

That a consumer is not only subjected to not getting a proper product, but THEN ALSO HAS THEIR TIME AND EFFORT WASTED when they go to the trouble to obtain a correction is ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE.

I hope it isn't lost on you and other readers that dealing with internet providers rather than a local shop MAKES THE FOREGOING TYPE OF SITUATION MUCH MORE LIKELY.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:33 pm

I bought two of the vests with the holes...BOTH had failures almost instantly.

Sounds like you have a shitty dealer you are working with that doesnt stand up for the gear they sell and then there is Mystic....who probably doesnt give a shit because you will probably buy another one...

Hold your dealer and manufacturer to the fire for anything you buy that is faulty or fails under normal use!!

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Caesar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:49 pm

RichardM wrote:Thanks for your post.

Both the dealer and Mystic should, at the VERY LEAST, NEVER BE USED again.

Although you have already invested an incredible amount of effort with no productive result, if you know of any consumer protection org. that might have influence over these companies, you might complain to them with a short, 1or 2 paragraph letter and copies of everything you sent the companies. (In the US, the BBB, local news orgs, state consumer protection agencies etc.)

Mystic's refusing the warranty work is inexcusable and perhaps fraud.

Please NAME THE DEALER so that others can benefit from your your experience. They are apparently easily guilty of FRAUD. You ordered a 2011 harness. According to the manufacturer, you did NOT get a 2011 harness. The store's BS lame excuse that they got ripped off by Mystic is NOT YOUR PROBLEM no matter what.

That a consumer is not only subjected to not getting a proper product, but THEN ALSO HAS THEIR TIME AND EFFORT WASTED when they go to the trouble to obtain a correction is ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE.

I hope it isn't lost on you and other readers that dealing with internet providers rather than a local shop MAKES THE FOREGOING TYPE OF SITUATION MUCH MORE LIKELY.

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET
Thanks for your post Richard.
I was hesitating naming the dealer, but I now believe people should be aware of it.
It is "King Of Watersports" from the UK and I was corresponding with Alex and Charlie.

By the way, I asked Petra from Mystic twice for the product manager's email address so I can give him feedback about the vest. She never sent it to me.
The vest fits perfectly and the harness doesn't move easily up the chest. That's why I like it and purchased it again, hoping their issues were fixed with the 2011 model.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Caesar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:53 pm

POACHER wrote:Thanks for posting that. I was looking into getting an impact vest and thought the Mystic would be the choice. The D30 stuff is awesome. Hopefully they have the stitching thing figured out.

Is there any amount of flotation provided with the vest or is it purely impact protection?

Hi mate,

There is hardly any floatation with the D30 vest. It actually slows you down(wind) when body dragging (but every vest is doing that).

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Life_Is_Awesome
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Keho, Alberta, Canada
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Life_Is_Awesome » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:58 pm

Too bad about the problems with Mystic. I've seen enough posts about them lately to doubt my next purchase from the company. Hope it works out man.
POACHER wrote:Thanks for posting that. I was looking into getting an impact vest and thought the Mystic would be the choice. The D30 stuff is awesome. Hopefully they have the stitching thing figured out.

I bought the Dakine surface vest (http://www.dakine.com/w/kite/harnesses) and have used it a lot now. It's great. Very comfortable, the zipper has never unitentionally come undone, and it provides a good amount of flotation. I wouldn't cross the Atlantic with it, but the flotation is enough to keep me floating without much effort at all (I weigh 155 pounds/70kg). No durability issues so far after a good season of use. It stretches a little after being used, so if you're in a toss up between sizes, I would suggest the smaller one.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:43 am

Sorry to hear about that :( I was contemplating a Mystic harness but that's changed my mind ...

The footstraps on both my Flyboards has had stitching unravel on a cosmetic seam ... I've experimented with dribbling some super/crazy glue very carefully onto the thread in the hope that it'll stop the unravelling ...

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jumarcil » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:05 am

Sad;

but also no more mystic for me , bought a steamer from them and on the first summer it started ripping... now 2 years later it is totalled... cheap cheap cheap... and now I see how they handle warranty :-(

They will lose a lot of business....

Return to “Kitesurfing”