Local Beach: A-Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: RRD,Best, Nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I live in Durango CO where can I kite? plz help

Postby mrlaroo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:03 am

I live in durango and wanted to know where I can kite. I read lizard head pass but thats 1 and 1/2 hours drive and wanted something closer. Has anyone ever ridden or know of someone riding valacito lake or molas pass. I am fairly new to kiting and should of payed attention to different spots when I was always hiking.. Well thanks every 1

diablo943
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Beaches?! We don't need no stinking beaches.
Style: backcountry
Gear: Best Kites, Ozone kites, Venture board, Black Diamond Skis
Brand Affiliation: Drift Snowkite Magazine is the first product from our company Stratus Media Solutions LLC

Postby diablo943 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:36 am

I am up in Grand Junction (although I grew up in Durango) and have been exploring the area up here. If you are ever headed North, drop me a note and we can hook up!

I know Molas is an option. Red Mountain Pass has some interesting terrain. I always struggled to find good wind in Durango. Hook up with the Ska Brewing boys... Some of them Kite.

I have been interested in checking out Vallecito and Electra Lakes, but haven't explored either with a kite yet. The trouble with Durango is that there isn't consistent wind and the number of wide open areas is shrinking quickly.

Let me know what you find!
Dave

jones
Rare Poster

Postby jones » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:35 am

http://www.infernosnowboardshop.com/

Inferno Snowboard Shop IS the Kite shop in Durango, get in touch with Greg, he has Ozone and Slingshot brands, and will help you get going here in D town. It has been good this season, the low lands and lakes are thawing, but the High Country will be great this spring.

See you out there!

Forrest

http://www.infernosnowboardshop.com/ :thumb: :thumb:

Pinstripe
Rare Poster

Postby Pinstripe » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:20 am

Come down to Ska and I can help out with some direction. There are lots of options, just determining where to go can be a gamble. It is a major weather and wind direction game here. Always a gamble.....Inferno is always a good resource....
Mattyv

mrlaroo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: A-Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: RRD,Best, Nobile

Postby mrlaroo » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks all, Matt this is Mack, you know I helped out evry now and a then.
I will have to give you a call for some random spots. The wind has been blowing great all week.
I am going up to the spud mtn trail head, off lime creek. In that wide open field w/ that large pond. I just don't know if the snow is going to be too DEEP to get turns. I guess I will find out and if all else fails I still won't be going to D.M.R. Thanks evry 1 for your input.

giesend
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Hattie, Alsop Lake, WY
Style: Snow mainly
Gear: '06 Yarga, Liquid Force Recoil

Re: I live in Durango CO where can I kite? plz help

Postby giesend » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Hey Dave, I just moved to GJ a few months ago. I have a couple of kites and have been doing it for a few years but never in this area. Is there a crew of kiters around here? It seems like winter on the mesa might be the most promising. Anyway, let me know what you know and maybe we could meet up and fly some kites sometime.
-Dustin

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Re: I live in Durango CO where can I kite? plz help

Postby waynepjh » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:50 pm

Google earth is your best bet to find spots! I spend hours at a time looking for spots. Find a spot then look for nearby weather stations and look at the history to see what wind direction you get there the most. good luck! wayne

Return to “Snow / Land”