Report from Fuerteventura

Forum for kitesurfers
kitesurfing freak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfing freak » Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:03 pm

hi, here is a report made by Laurel Eastmen.
from: http://www.dragon-designs.net/~kitesurf ... s/main.htm

Report nr. 2
Date 31 July
Place Fuerteventura
The day before the Fuerteventura Kiteboarding World Cup 2002
With the wind just cranking, sun shining, and all the kiters on the beach, the scene is set for what should be a fantastic competition. Cross-offshore wind makes for great jumps close to the beach without the danger of landing on any spectators. Its a bit sketchy because of the gusts, when you have riders close together and a gust hits it can be a bit scary. I was out on my 7.5, fully depowered and super lit. How Jaime Herraiz (North) can hold down a 12 is beyond me, but he was boosting huge.
Martin Vari, Fadi Issa, and Marc (Marley) Ramsier representing Cabrinha have been busy signing autographs and teaching the public a bit about our sport. Vari, the 2001 World Champion gave me his opinion about Fuerte. He thinks it is a great place, lots of pretty girls, a great organization, and very beautiful. As for the kiting, he (and all of us) finds it very challenging.

The German production company, Tonix, is here and have been busy shooting heaps of cool footage from jetski´s and in the water for broadcast on television shows all over Europe. There will be something on the news in Holland soon, so keep your eyes open for that!

Tonight is the PKRA riders meeting and the official Opening Ceremony in the party tent on the beach. Rumor has it there will be strippers dancing on tables, that should be fun! Most riders will probably have an early night for the competition tommorow. The guys will have qualifiers, 42 are here for the event, 16 are pre-seeded and the rest do the trials. The women are only 13 this time, so no trials for us! Wish us luck, good winds and Aloha!
Laurel

Royce
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Royce » Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:22 pm

Laurel....stay off the tables.
Aloha Royce.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:54 pm

here some sites to get some infos and a webcam:

http://www.fuerteventura-worldcup.org/

http://www.rene-egli.com/

kitesurfing freak
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitesurfing freak » Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:27 pm

another report:

1 August 2002
Fuerteventura, Spain
Freestyle Single Elimination

Perfect sunny weather, medium-strong and not as gusty of wind is making for a great competition. The trials for the boys were good, with some young guys just going off and making everyone a little bit nervous. Newcomer, Sky Solbach (Naish) from the Gorge and Bonaire was killing it, rewarded with a finish in 2nd place. Marc ¨Marley¨Ramsier (Cabrinha) won the freestyle today with his relaxed inverted style. Close behind were Adam Koch (Naish) in 3rd and Mark Shinn (Naish) in 4th. Robby would have been proud to see so many of his boys in the final today!

The girls really proved how versatile and adapting we are, the conditions were challenging, but we pulled it off with style. Cindy Mosey (North) won again, and clinched her title as 2002 World Champion. I am so stoked for her, as she was my first kite instructor one and a half years ago in New Zealand. Anke Krischner (Cabrinha) came 2nd with her wakeboard style. In the race for 3rd and 4th was yours truely and my good friend Fiona Wedening who has just signed with Slingshot!

Congrats to Fifi for that and for kicking my ass today, its so funny, we just take turns beating eachother it seems. But I already told her that for sure she will be winning our next competition in Silvaplana Switzerland, her home country. This girl is really pushing the level of all us girls, riding blind and pulling smooth one-foot front rolls.

So that is the latest, the event has been awesome today and hopefully it will be great tommorow! Good winds, safe kiting and Aloha!
Laurel Eastman

Return to “Kitesurfing”