All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Los Roques, waves or no waves?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:37 am 
Medium Poster

We are heading to Los Roques in a month or so and quite limited amount of info availeble.
Seems to be a heaven on earth for flat water but how about waves?
Seems a bit tricky to have the surfboard on the plane from Isla Margarita to Los Roques and from Los Roques to Caracas but would it be worth the hassle?

How about renting equipment? Are there anything in Los Roques were we could hire stuff we didn´t bring along?

And all other advices, tips, spot recomendations etc. would be cool

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Los Roques, waves or no waves?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:30 am 
Rare Poster

It is most definitely NOT a wavespot. There are plenty of flat water locations.... I can't really help you with the other questions because we passed through last year on our catamaran.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:46 pm 
Frequent Poster

harppa wrote:
We are heading to Los Roques in a month or so and quite limited amount of info availeble.
Seems to be a heaven on earth for flat water but how about waves?
Seems a bit tricky to have the surfboard on the plane from Isla Margarita to Los Roques and from Los Roques to Caracas but would it be worth the hassle?

I was there last year and its not a wave spot for sure

How about renting equipment? Are there anything in Los Roques were we could hire stuff we didn´t bring along?

I didn't see anything. there was a guy teaching one day that I seen

And all other advices, tips, spot recomendations etc. would be cool

When are you going Nov Dec is busy. When I went I just landed with no room. Shopped around.... the rooms started at $200Us a night and I ended up with $40us a night and something small to eat in the morning. Rented a cooler and brought food and drink for the day to take with us. Stay on the main island. if you book off the main there is nothing i mean nothing there!!!! take the strongest bug spray you can buy you will F'n need it at night.

In the center square when its open there is the best burger place to eat (little shop as you enter the town to the right) bar out front is $$ to drink or eat.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:55 pm 
Medium Poster

i was there about 8 years ago and the one day it didn't blow or it was out of a weird direction(don't remember) and i got a surfboard from the windsurfing school and hit this reef break on the other end of the island(this is before kite waveriding really existed). My guide and fellow surfer was this 9 year old kid. He didn't speak English and i didn't speak Spanish. REALLY small break about 50 yards off rocky shore, super sketch, coral, rocks, steep faces, dropping in got a little hectic. Good waves, lot of fun, just a little sketch. Fun to paddle surf, not anything I'd EVER want to kite...Surfed all day then hiked back to the other end of the island. Totaly surreal day of surfing.

Brought a little spinning reel and my cheapest rod(something i didn't mind loosing or leaving) and caught some bonefish(Japanese fly fishermen with $3000 rods on guided charters were giving me the stinkeye). Really great place. Can't wait to go back...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:59 pm 
Medium Poster

I was there for 10 days kiting holiday in 2009.
Everything about kiteboarding was quite experimental at that time, since there were only a french guy running a school with very old windsurf equipment and no kite equipment: he teached 2 guys with their own equipment :)
For what I know, now there are some spanish guys from Tarifa (Art Of Surfing shop owner) who organize kite holidays and boat tours for kiting...
We had good steady wind every day and as we were some of the first kiteboarders, we changed location every day to explore the potential of the place, but I have not seen any good wave.
Only occasional very small waves near the windsurf school and obviously I guess there are waves on the outer reef but it's open ocean swell hitting a coral reef, not exactly a safe spot to test...
We were at http://www.posadamovida.com/index.php maybe you can even ask them some more infos

[ 5 posts ]