Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2012 Ozone snow kites

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

2012 Ozone snow kites

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:28 am

Ozone has their new snow kites up on their web site -

http://www.flyozone.com/snowkites/en/ne ... ines/19088

THanson
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wisconsin, USA
Style: Blades, Skis, Buggy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2012 Ozone snow kites

Postby THanson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:57 pm

So, the Manta has been retired. Always wanted to try one.

What do you think that will do to resale price for them?

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:54 am

I'm thinking it will hurt the Manta resale prices since people usually want to avoid discontinued models. I don't think they ever sold very many of them since there hasn't been many offered for resale.

I did a quick search and found a 1990 12 meter for the asking price of $550 on Ikitesurf.com, but there were none in the Second Hand section here. Some of the European online markets might be a better source, but I didn't see one Manta on the Ebay UK site.

Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!

Postby Windzup » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:00 pm

In my opinion, the lack of a new Manta will up the value of any used Manta on the market. The reason you don't see many used Manta's, is their owners love them, as it is hands down the best open cell foil every produced up thru 2011.

Their is a divided opinion amongst Manta owners, debating if the Manta II or Manta III is better... I think they are both great. The Manta III 15 meter is the only size where the performance in light wind can be noticed, yet many gliding kiters prefer the feeling of the Manta II 15m for big flights. It boils down to which model Manta you have more hours on. The Manta 15m had he biggest light wind range of any open foil last year, and I personally have used the 12m Manta more than any other kite during the past 4 winters.

Personally, when I heard the Manta was being discontinued, I picked up a full quiver, just in case the world goes 'Mad Max'. I even kept the Manta II 10 meter, as that size powered up feels great.

Hopefully new kites in the future may be able to out do the usability, range and performance of the venerable Manta.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

criznach
Medium Poster

Postby criznach » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:29 am

I agree with Brian that they are awesome snowkites, and their value will hold for quite some time. People just aren't selling them. I have a the 10m and 12m Manta IIs (2nd gen I believe), and I love them both. I intend to fly them until they are worn out and probably beyond selling. I've flown the 12m Manta III, and I did like it, but the difference was not enough to upgrade. I also flew the 13m 2011 Frenzy. While it was very smooth in the air, I didn't find it nice enough to justify the upgrade. I like the 1-line flag out ability of the Manta. It's a confidence booster when flying solo. While I didn't try it, I understand that this is not possible with the 2011 and newer Frenzy.

I may, however start flying Ozone's inflatables after a great summer of water :)

PBKiteboarding
Very Frequent Poster
Style: New School
Gear: Fone
Nobile
Ozone Water & Snow
Flysurfer
Flyboards
Ocean Rodeo
Seaspecs
Location: PBKiteboarding.com Sales-Repair-Lessons Ozone, Aboards, Flysurfer, OR, Canada USA Worlwide

Postby PBKiteboarding » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:23 am

We don't miss the Mantas much... Although I'm sure many Liked them
Basically we used the Frenzy and Access.
They seemed to do so well all round. It also make for an easier choice in many ways.
Loved the Frenzy 2011, such an improvement for that year....
Interesting safety on the 2012.

The Frenzy 2011 with it's new design went leaps beyond the other kites I felt. Fast on Kiteloops too!

Paul
www.PBKiteboarding.com

Krzysztof
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Goczałkowice / Wisła Wielka
Favorite Beaches: Hel
Gear: Ozone

Postby Krzysztof » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:52 am

I swapped 2011 Manta 10m2 for a 2012 Frenzy 11m2. I hope that I will not regret it. :D

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:11 am

No way! Frenzy is such a better kite. You won't believe it!

Cray
Medium Poster

Postby Cray » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:29 pm

Hey PBK!
PBKiteboarding wrote:We don't miss the Mantas much... Although I'm sure many Liked them
Interesting safety on the 2012.
I'm _very_ interested in new Ozone Flag-Out safety. Have you tried it? Is it better than the
regular (pull the backlines) from 2011:
http://www.flyozone.com/snowkites/en/in ... ps/_89385/

I'd be most grateful, if you can manage to film it.

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Great comments, seems either you glide big or stay low. After 5 seasons of dreaming I could be Chasta, and seeing a few mishaps, I am going to stay down low. Altitude and exposure for me is nothing short of sheer terror. If any of you flying people want to take over payments on my near pristine Manta2 15m, I will trade for whatever works better down on the ground. Any Manta 3, late model Frenzy, or any Edge/Zepher in similar condition. I will range up the Interstate15 through Skyline/SLC/Bighorns/Bozeman and beyond as soon as it fills in. PM me if you have a solution, thanks.

Return to “Snow / Land”