Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2012 Naish Global - review please

Postby mocolombo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi,

Do anyone can tell me about this board?

How about for an allround board, also for light winds and small surf?

Are pads and straps confortable?

Regards

Marcello

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: 2012 Naish Global - review please

Postby tautologies » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:47 pm

mocolombo wrote:Hi,

Do anyone can tell me about this board?

How about for an allround board, also for light winds and small surf?

Are pads and straps confortable?

Regards

Marcello
Hi which size. I've ridden the 5'5'' and 6'1'' (mostly the 6'1''). Both mostly in the quad config. It has options for the thruster setup too.

I've traditionally been a pintail fan, but have expended my horizon a little the last few years.
The shape is relatively simple, the pintail is reasonably wide, yet the board slim. It gives it a good balance between low end, and the power it can hold (and the width accommodates for the quad).

It goes rail to rail very smoothly, no sliding, no hitch so to speak or step, just one smooth move. It holds a ton of speed and power. The first time out I had a little problem adjusting and getting full spray compared to the last years 6'2'', but now I'd say I get more spray off the top than I did last year. Just lifting my toes a little. The low end is way improved, but do't think it lost any of the high end in terms of wave size it can hold. The rail is soft to pretty hard, and the fins if I don't remember it wrong is slightly toed in without it affecting the ride anything at all.

The shape is simple, but sleek..I man you can see it, but the board looks really nice.

Straps are a good balance between soft and stiff. They seem similar to last year, but the pads are WAY improved. The grind patterns are very different and holds a lot better. In addition they have contoured it so that the feet sits better. You'll see it on the center x-pad but there is also some under the other pads too. Still comes with a bag, which I really like.

It is a really nice all-purpose board. The 6'1'' will be the go-to strapped board for me.

mocolombo
Frequent Poster

Postby mocolombo » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:31 pm

Hi Taut,

Good impressions! Do you think it should be a nice choose to be my first kitesurf board, as i always ride TT?

Should the widht is enough to learn easily jibe?

For sure, i would go for the 6'1, as it will be my only surf board and i weight 90kgs.

Regards,

Marcello

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:50 am

mocolombo wrote:Hi Taut,

Good impressions! Do you think it should be a nice choose to be my first kitesurf board, as i always ride TT?

Should the widht is enough to learn easily jibe?

For sure, i would go for the 6'1, as it will be my only surf board and i weight 90kgs.

Regards,

Marcello
Short answer is: Yes. The little / way longer version: I generally say to people who likes TT, to go with a smaller board, but this board is narrow enough to be comfortable to ride...and it will give you more low end. Just remember that once you get on the board, you put more effort and weight on your front foot, and only when you turn and hit a wave you put most weight on the back. :-)

I'm about 85kg, so I have your frame of reference. I think this board is great improvement especially on the low end from last years...a more well rounded shape..though last years is still a good board :-)

Very comfortable in choppy conditions. I've jumped the hell out of the board, though they recommend not to, the board has not even a dent in it.....super solid.

For transitions. Go with speed, then you can learn on any board. The key is really to not stop when you do your switch. If your only goal was to learn jibing the fish would be better because it is so wide, but the board offers more than enough float to be forgiving. The wider tail seems to both provide more low end and stability than last years global. This board though I have not ridden it strapless could easily be a strapless board too...though not as good as the skater for that since the rails are a little harder.

What I do for learning new things is to try to think my moves through before I go in the water. Then try them, and then think a little more. hehe I am slow.

Now what really matters the most in switching stance on a surfboard, is really accuracy in where you put your foot. Try to make your moves with confidence that you will do it, and the board usually comes around.

Switch before or after you make your turn. Less to think about.

Take your back foot out of the footstrap, place it right in front of the back strap, while keeping some speed on the board, start moving the kite up, move your back foot all the way up behind the front footstrap. This should be pretty much the center of the board. Take your front out out swing it around the front foot as you turn your body, and place it right behind the new front foot which you put in the footstrap in the opposite direction of the previous front foot. then put your back foot into the back strap.

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:09 am

Hi Taut,

as you also have ridden the 5,5 how does this compare to the 5.7. of 2010/11? Mine is still going strong, but once I want to replace it, I wonder if I should get the 5.5 or the 5.10.
I mostly ride North Sea conditions, where there are only waves when it is howling and jumping old school style and waveriding in the same session.
To me it looks like that both boards would fit. The 5.5 has about the same width as the old 5.7 just 2 inches shorter and the 5.10 is a little wider and longer. 5.5 better in the speed/control and jumping department, 5.10 a touch more surfing feel compared to the 5.7?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:10 am

Dirk wrote:Hi Taut,

as you also have ridden the 5,5 how does this compare to the 5.7. of 2010/11? Mine is still going strong, but once I want to replace it, I wonder if I should get the 5.5 or the 5.10.
I mostly ride North Sea conditions, where there are only waves when it is howling and jumping old school style and waveriding in the same session.
To me it looks like that both boards would fit. The 5.5 has about the same width as the old 5.7 just 2 inches shorter and the 5.10 is a little wider and longer. 5.5 better in the speed/control and jumping department, 5.10 a touch more surfing feel compared to the 5.7?
I mean there is quite some time between the rides I had on those two boards...so take that into consideration.
Honestly both the 5'5'' and 5'10'' looks good to me so you'd probably be happy with either..that said I have not ridden the 5'10''.
The outline of the new globals are very very different from earlier. The 5'5'' is way wider in the nose and the tail is pretty wide compared to those boards, but they have retained the same level of control at speeds. They just feel more fluid(?) I like that one can choose the number of fins. I should try that more. The drive on the quad set up is unreal. :-)

I'd not be surprised if you'd get more low end from the 5'5'' than your current board. I'd definitely say you pretty much know what to expect, and your description seems quite spot on what I would expect too.

The 5'5'' is like a little rocket. Light on your feet, and very snappy, controllable and made for power, and more for tricks, but the 6'1'' has handled whatever I've tried to throw at it.

The global line is super good in the choppy conditions you are talking about. Even the 6'1'' rocks in those conditions, so I would not be too worried about that even for the 5'10''...but obviously I have not ridden at your spot tho...I had the 6'1'' in onshore well overhead slop burgers today. Killer fun.

The global is such a stylin' board.

Btw. I often ride my board like you describe..wave - jump - waves - jump =waves - jump.... :thumb:

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Just a little input... I just got a 2011 5' 10" global as my first surf board. I've been riding it strapless and learning to jibe. Can't tell you much as I've only been out twice, but I have been having fun on the board and can make about 80% of my jibes. Who knows about other boards as I've never ridden any, but I do think the Global will be a fine first board. I would also say, go for smaller, it is more like a twin tip.

mocolombo
Frequent Poster

Postby mocolombo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:46 pm

I am really not sure if go to the 5'10 or the 6'1. For my weight, 90kgs, should be better the bigger and also for light winds. But the 5'10 should fit better for jumps and rotations.... So, which one to go?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:34 pm

mocolombo wrote:I am really not sure if go to the 5'10 or the 6'1. For my weight, 90kgs, should be better the bigger and also for light winds. But the 5'10 should fit better for jumps and rotations.... So, which one to go?
I think I was in the same boat. I ended up deciding to get the 6'1'' and considering the 5'5'', but I know I'll be using the 6'1'' a lot more.
5'10'' is probably a better in between board for, like you say, jumping. I wanted the 6'1'' for wave riding, and so that became my main motivation. If you do ride in a lot of chop I bet the 5'10'' will be a little more comfortable, but personally I think the 6'1'' seems fine in very choppy conditions. :-)

Not an easy choice for sure. Even if I've missed a few landings on the board, they are not made for jumping, so smaller boards will probably hold up better for botched landings...

My first thought is that if your main concern is low end, the fish would be better, but that board is not made for very choppy condition, and definitely not for super powered conditions...still super fun ride. The global lineup is by far the best all round line. Not easy, if your main thing is jumping and rolls, but with some low end, yeah it sounds like the 5'10'' is right. If you are a little more focused on the waves and low end, then 6'1''...unless the waves are super bumpy, then maybe the 5'10'' still :-)

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:29 pm

mocolombo wrote:I am really not sure if go to the 5'10 or the 6'1. For my weight, 90kgs, should be better the bigger and also for light winds. But the 5'10 should fit better for jumps and rotations.... So, which one to go?
The 6.1...!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”