Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What are the most durable/reliable kites these days?

Forum for kitesurfers
Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What are the most durable/reliable kites these days?

Postby Jdizzle » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:37 pm

Caesar, there is a reason your having problems with Cabrinha...I hate to say it but...they are complete S**T compared to the other top brands. Just ask them what materials they are using...some cheap crap they made up!!! I looked at a 2011 Switchblade the other day and the canopy looked shagged compared to my 2010 Ozone???

And all those pulleys...seriously?? come on man!!!

Waiting for the backlash from Cabrinha fan boys :oops:

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby voodoospirit » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:41 pm

E^Ri wrote:HAHA I think every brand except Best has been mentioned which means either every brand is good or no one knows what they are talking about.

I don't think you will have much fun jumping foil kites. I haven't ridden one but I just can't imagine a non rigid frame accelerating as much when you send it. Anyone know where I can find a video of someone sending it big on a foil?
if u want to jump high, get an ARC, if u want to jump like a paraglider, get a foil..
u ask for a vid ( he QRed before hitting a windsurfer , kite on FDS,5th line):

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Jdizzle wrote:Caesar, there is a reason your having problems with Cabrinha...I hate to say it but...they are complete S**T compared to the other top brands. Just ask them what materials they are using...some cheap crap they made up!!! I looked at a 2011 Switchblade the other day and the canopy looked shagged compared to my 2010 Ozone???

Nah, you wont hear from them because everybody is aware of their quality issues.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:59 pm

Caesar wrote:
Jdizzle wrote:Caesar, there is a reason your having problems with Cabrinha...I hate to say it but...they are complete S**T compared to the other top brands. Just ask them what materials they are using...some cheap crap they made up!!! I looked at a 2011 Switchblade the other day and the canopy looked shagged compared to my 2010 Ozone???

Nah, you wont hear from them because everybody is aware of their quality issues.
They have a good reputation in the NY area. I don't think I've ever heard anybody ragging on their quality or warranty issues. It might depend on your dealer.
A friend of mine has an S3 and Switchblades. The S3 is his super light wind choice but if there's any wind he's on a Switchblade.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:15 pm

William Munney wrote:They have a good reputation in the NY area. I don't think I've ever heard anybody ragging on their quality or warranty issues. It might depend on your dealer.
A friend of mine has an S3 and Switchblades. The S3 is his super light wind choice but if there's any wind he's on a Switchblade.
Hi William,

As I said earlier, the issues I had with the Cabrinha kites in the past were dealt with by my local store. No questions asked- they were just fixed...
Since I moved to Brazil, I purchased my kites in Germany and I know the store only from ordering over the phone/email (and vice versa).
Since Cabrinha Germany have a different attitude towards customers relating to fixing faults, I'm looking for another, more durable kite where I don't have any issues and where things are getting fixed in an appropriate manner.
I really like the Switchblade and I would not look at another kite, but I don't like being told I am a liar and that kites these days don't rip in the air anymore.
They either have no clue or are just ignorant (or both).

Cheers
Caesar 8)

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:59 pm

voodoospirit wrote:
E^Ri wrote:HAHA I think every brand except Best has been mentioned which means either every brand is good or no one knows what they are talking about.

I don't think you will have much fun jumping foil kites. I haven't ridden one but I just can't imagine a non rigid frame accelerating as much when you send it. Anyone know where I can find a video of someone sending it big on a foil?
if u want to jump high, get an ARC, if u want to jump like a paraglider, get a foil..

Calling bull shit here. You can jump just as high on inflatables as arcs. Wind, technique, and aspect ratio have more to do with height than if it is a foil or ram air.

Looks about the same height and with a C-kite which is what arcs basically are. Not to mention Ruben, Nick Jacobsen and many others jump just as high all the time.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:28 pm

I think you have just been plain "unlucky" with your Cabs Caesar :(

And when this happens, one WILL change to another brand, that is human and needed and very simple.
Does not matter if it is correct or wrong in fact - as it is too late to convince when one has experienced such things :roll:

So I understand your desire to try something else.

But as you can see from the anwers - every brand is equally "good" in this respect, or every brand has got an equal amount that will defend their kite, no matter what 8)

My experience is, that in fact, taken over a long time, they ARE equal in durability/reliabitliy all of them these days, but having periods with some issues all of them too. And I dont think Cabs are any worse, nor better, than others.

So go change to something else, so you dont have the "fear" you got now.

You hoped you could get a relatively unanimously answer of some brand(s) - but you can see you are never going to get that, not even close....

Good luck with your new kites Caesar - as a change is always good :thumb:

:D Peter

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Someone posted what materials each kite company uses a few months back look it up or maybe somebody will repost this for you. Inferior materials make for short kite life simple. Caesar I live in Paracuru and had great luck with a quiver of Bandits they are definitely one of the better made kites IMHO, now I just got RRD hope they last as long! :D I got more than a full season out of my FOne kites but I never leave them on the beach or in the sun always put them up in between sessions. PM me Caesar if you want my real opinion on brands. I have spent alot of time here in Pcuru I see who´s kite last the longest.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:13 am

Jbrook wrote: ...
I got more than a full season out of my FOne kites but I never leave them on the beach or in the sun always put them up in between sessions.
YEP -- The sunshine & it's UV is one of the BEST ways to destroy
a kite there is.

I always fold mine up also !!

I see some riders will start with their Big kite & when the wind picks up
they will pump up their small one; leaving the monster on the beach, to just
bake in the sun All Day.

Bille

E^Ri
Medium Poster

Postby E^Ri » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:13 pm

TheJoe wrote:
voodoospirit wrote:

Calling bull shit here. You can jump just as high on inflatables as arcs. Wind, technique, and aspect ratio have more to do with height than if it is a foil or ram air.

Looks about the same height and with a C-kite which is what arcs basically are. Not to mention Ruben, Nick Jacobsen and many others jump just as high all the time.
Word, thanks guys I retract my statement. Still using a wave to boost though so it would be good to see a video of someone using load and pop because that is where kite performance will make a difference. I agree you probably get more hang time on foils because of the high AR.

Return to “Kitesurfing”