All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kiteboarding in Tavarua?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:14 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi

I'm planning a trip to Fiji in August '12. I know you can launch your kite from the beach at Namotu, but is it possible to do the same at Tavarua? Also, if you can and had a choice, which island do you like better? Thanks

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kiteboarding in Tavarua?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:15 pm 
Rare Poster

Anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:06 am 
Medium Poster

I've stayed at Tavarua a few times and you can launch there but Namotu is more kite friendly. In the "old" days ( a year ago) when the reefs were private Tavarua was far better to stay on for surfing but you can surf anywhere now staying at Namotu.
I'd still probably pick Tavarua and if you have a girl in tow she'd like it better too. But yeah Namotu is better for kiting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:54 pm 
Frequent Poster

I was at Namotu a couple weeks ago and the place is great :thumb:

Tav is bigger island and a little less exposed but I did see a guy out when the breeze was solid. I personally like Namotu but certainly Tav is more chic/kid friendly.

You can stay at Tav and be dropped off on Namotu and hit Namotu Lefts, great setup!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:39 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks. My wife will be coming along this time and so it sounds like staying at Tav would work out the best. Especially if they'll drop me off at Namotu to kite there. Best of both worlds for this trip!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:19 pm 
Medium Poster

Definitely stay at Tavarua if the wife is coming. The pool is amazing and if wind is the right direction you can kite right in front of it in the lagoon and show off. Watch out for the coral though at low tide.

And when you go over to Namotu make sure you ask nicely if you can kite there out of courtesy (they'll always say yes) and buy lunch and beers there to thank them for the hospitality. :thumb: They are very cool friendly people on both islands.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:02 am 
Rare Poster

ITN wrote:
Definitely stay at Tavarua if the wife is coming. The pool is amazing and if wind is the right direction you can kite right in front of it in the lagoon and show off. Watch out for the coral though at low tide.

And when you go over to Namotu make sure you ask nicely if you can kite there out of courtesy (they'll always say yes) and buy lunch and beers there to thank them for the hospitality. :thumb: They are very cool friendly people on both islands.

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely do that, and am really looking forward to this trip.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:11 am 
Rare Poster

Thanks too Rbgar, looks like I messed up when trying to quote the posts.

[ 8 posts ]