Kahoonas 2011
Armada twintip
Shortstick surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Selecing spot in Asia for upcoming winter

Postby musticas » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:53 pm

I am planning to take about 3 months off this winter, starting from February 2012. Would like to saddle down in a perfect kitesurfing spot for me for first 4 weeks or so and then travel around the area and the neighboring countries for the rest of the time - if possible then also kiting here and there. By current plan I would go there alone and after a month or so my girlfriend would join for tripping around.
The hardest part seems to be picking the perfect kite-spot, as I seem to have quite high expectations:

Beach:
- Paradise-like :)
- Very warm water during that time
- No chop, no waves, no beachbrake - fields of crystal clear flat (waves can be also, outside reefs)
- Wind 16knots or more 80%+ of days
- Not very crowded, sik-sak`ing billion kiters

Living:
- Quite cheap accommodation - about $20/day max. Should be clean and with AC, otherwise nothing fancy
- Quite cheap but good food - ~$10/day eating out
- Mainly quiet and relaxed atmosphere - not looking for partying, rather to take time off and rest
- Friendly locals
- Something to do/see nearby during no-wind-days - go sightseeing with motorbike etc.
- Not supercrazy/-expensive to get there and away
- Would rather avoid extreme amount of moskitos or other similar disadvantages

I know that it is a lot to hope for but I`m sure a similar spot exists. Some places that have cached my eye:
- Boracay - would be very cool if it was´nt that crowded and kite-beach so dirty (sewers go into there)
- Mui Ne bay - seems to be very crowded and no flat/lagoons
- Carnasa Island - I mean WOW, this could be the spot, but the only accommodation there is that $400/day resort?
- Kingfisher bay - Again very cool spot, but is there accommodation near my budget range? Any other comments?
- Phu Quy island - is near Mui Ne and so far it seems the best found yet. It seems to have everything I look for, but other activities nearby. Any comments about this spot?

Correct me if I`m wrong. But, please also share some spots that I would be looking for. I am starting to be late in booking flights already. I know there can be secret spots which kiters dont want to overcrowd with ;) ..but I can assure I`m not going to spoil those spots so you can PM me about those :)

By the way I bring my own equipment so kite-centers would be issue only for emergency repairs etc.

Thank you very much in advance.

dragonpig
Medium Poster

Re: Selecing spot in Asia for upcoming winter

Postby dragonpig » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:28 am

I'd be v interested to see what else comes up bro . Think u have nailed them . I live in HK and am constantly on the look out for spots.

It howls in Taiwan but gets VV cold so not really an option

musticas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tallinn
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best:
Kahoonas 2011
Armada twintip
Shortstick surfboard

Postby musticas » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:31 pm

Ye, Ive also heard that Taiwan is a bit too cold and cloudy during windy season.

But I think I have basically made up my mind and go with the safest plan. First hit directly to Mui Ne and from there I will decide if I move to Phu Quy or wherever I can travel on land. Most probably stay there for 1,5 to 2 months and afterwards meet my girlfriend and go check out Philippines (Kingfisher bay, maybe Boracay also) for a month or so. Philippines seems noticeably more expensive and its bearable to pay more for the room if you travel as couple.

So, about Mui Ne.
- I heard that there is also a somewhat lagoon - is it true? Is it good place to kite and stay or which other places would you recommend to stay in?
- Again - would like to find a room with AC for around $10/day (getting discount for longer period), having WiFi and great food nearby. Is it possible to find a spot like this on beach?
- I read somewhere that someone got a decent room for $5/day and food around $1/per meal. I know that would sound too good, but what are realistic numbers?
- How much would motorbikes/per day go for?
- How badly crowded is this place really? ;)

Ty :)

Sheep
Medium Poster

Postby Sheep » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:53 am

musticas wrote: So, about Mui Ne.
- I heard that there is also a somewhat lagoon - is it true? Is it good place to kite and stay or which other places would you recommend to stay in?
- Again - would like to find a room with AC for around $10/day (getting discount for longer period), having WiFi and great food nearby. Is it possible to find a spot like this on beach?
- I read somewhere that someone got a decent room for $5/day and food around $1/per meal. I know that would sound too good, but what are realistic numbers?
- How much would motorbikes/per day go for?
- How badly crowded is this place really? ;)

Ty :)
hope this isnt too late for u
i can help some with mui ne altho i havent been back for about 4 years so i wont know the latest prices but will be similar

there were tiny rooms for $5 a day - no TV, air-con, fridge or wi-fi
i would stay at accommodation for about $15 - $20 a day and have all the luxurys apart from wi-fi.... and the accommo was on the beach side
on the other side of the main road you would pay $5 less for the same
wi-fi wasnt around when i was there but i would assume that it will be standard now as it is thru out Vn... every hotel/guesthouse has it and its free... quality of it will vary... most good/some so so

cant recall the price for food but your in mui ne which is for foreigners and a few wealthy viets so most of the restaurants will be catering for tourists
u can still get cheap food in the fishing village

$5 for a days use of a motorbike

with regards to the lagoon i assume u mean lotus lake which is small in size.... around 500m by 200... murky deep water.. reeds.. u need to be a confident rider to kite there... its about a 30 minute ride up north to get there

ive heard of 200 - 300 kiters on the water during peak times - yikes!!

i like vn and usually goto vung tau which is closer to saigon... has a bigger and better beach than mui ne but during the weekends alot of ppl from saigon head there and take up alot of the beach... still theres room to get going as its about 10kms long... during the week its all yours apart from a few local kiters and theres a kiteshop for repairs/rentals
alot of cheap accommo and u can lower the price if staying longer
local food is cheap... $1 for a bowl of delicious spicy chicken noodle soup

enjoy!!!

musticas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tallinn
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best:
Kahoonas 2011
Armada twintip
Shortstick surfboard

Postby musticas » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Tnx for info :) I think I will still check out Mui Ne and when I get bored I will go to Phu Quy or elsewhere. Currently Im trying to book a cheap room for first days or a week.. as Im arriving Mui Ne during chinese new year, it might be difficult to find a decent room from there. I have e-mailed to like 10 ho(s)tels, but only 2 have replied - one of them Mellow Bungalows which has ran out of those $6 rooms. Can anyone suggest a good guesthouse?

It would be great if I would find someone to share a taxi to Mui Ne from HCMC - my flight arrives 14:35 18.01.12. Anyone traveling to Mui Ne during that day?

Return to “Travel”