Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Big Horns Road Closure :-(

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Big Horns Road Closure :-(

Postby Noahpz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:24 am

Yes, the day we all knew would arrive is here: Hwy 14A between the west side of the Big Horns and Burgess Junction was closed today for the winter.

No more park-n-ride under the shadow of Baldy. At least I got in three great weekends with a fantastic group of kiters.

Sleds rule the Big Horns in the winter and winter is here! I wonder if the Terminal got deployed?

See ya out there,

Noah

Windgumby
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bighorns, Beartooths, Pryors
Gear: Ozone, Patagonia, Black Diamond
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Big Horns Road Closure :-(

Postby Windgumby » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Terminal B has not been deployed. I've been too busy working on my new house and harvesting elk. Here's a shot from last year when we parked it in the wrong spot, had to dig it out and move it a quarter mile...
Attachments
Burried Terminal B.png

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby rvrrat » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:37 am

:bye: Hey Windgumby, Let me pull that building out there for ya. I am planning on comin' out with my kites, skiis and machine after Xmas. Ain't no snow here in the Hillbilly and I really need to ride. I have been wantin' to do something like this for a long time now. My plan is to hit the Bighorns on my way to Bozeman for New Years and then to Eastern Idaho and back east thru Jackson. I would love to hook up with you on my way thru. Any new snow yet. I have not seen any new awesome posts from you western riders lately. I wanted to wait until the end of Jan. but I have to be back to work by then. Cheers, JR
Attachments
Ski Pharis Knob 3 1-11 KK 009.jpg

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:36 am

hey rvrat,
that's a bad-ass machine!!
if you come thru MI again give us a call. Unfortunatey we're still waiting for a big dump and cold temps here. (we're still kiting on the water actually :-? )

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby rvrrat » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:14 pm

How do Robertovillate, Thanks man. I am gonna find out how it does out west here soon. Looks like the last 2 years have spoiled us. This winter is off to a lame start. We have had no rideable snow here. Just lots of rain and whitewater. I hope the Farmer's Almanac holds true. It is callin' for some good snow out west here on the other side of Xmas and into the New Year. We are supposed to stay warm and wet. I get back into the big truck at the end of Jan. and will be comin' thru Mich. here soon. Maybe winter will kick in by then up there. When you are on the water this time of year, are you in a dry suit or in thick rubber? Shoes and a helmet? Hope to hook up soon. JR

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:26 pm

rvrrat wrote:How do Robertovillate, Thanks man. I am gonna find out how it does out west here soon. Looks like the last 2 years have spoiled us. This winter is off to a lame start. We have had no rideable snow here. Just lots of rain and whitewater. I hope the Farmer's Almanac holds true. It is callin' for some good snow out west here on the other side of Xmas and into the New Year. We are supposed to stay warm and wet. I get back into the big truck at the end of Jan. and will be comin' thru Mich. here soon. Maybe winter will kick in by then up there. When you are on the water this time of year, are you in a dry suit or in thick rubber? Shoes and a helmet? Hope to hook up soon. JR
Yeah, the almanac and all weather forecasters say it will dump here after Jan 1...so fingers crossed for that.

I've been riding in my 6.5.4 hooded suit, 5mil boots, 3mil gloves and not a problem with 45f water and 40-45f air so far. Some guys here riding in dry suits, and probably a bit warmer than me. My drysuit's seals are blown and I've been reluctant to repair because I'm not a big fan of drysuits in wave conditions...and from 9 years of experience it seems the latex seals can't be trusted after 2 years and it costs almost $250 to replace all seals everytime. The latex ankle seals seem to last longer than the the wrist & neck for sure, so I might go with neoprene seals this time, at least in the wrists and neck..

wishing ye safe truckin and deep snow on the side of the road!

Return to “Snow / Land”