Style: begginer/intermediate yet
Gear: 2011 Naish Parks. 12, 8 and 6.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Koh Samui/Pha Ngan - family needs an advice

Postby brunislovas » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:44 am

Hi, guys,

i've just booked flight tickets to Bangkok in the middle of January and am thinking about spending month in Koh Samui AND/OR Koh Phangan. I know, there's a risk with my kiteboarding, but let's keep this hope alive:)
the thing is, we have 2 kids (4&6 years old), and have two main conditions: 1. we don't want to be close to black, half or full moon parties, 2. live on the beach where the location is fine for kiting.

i'm IKO L2 instructor, intermediate/advanced level, so small hazards are ok to live with.

would be really grateful for advices and suggestions/contacts!
post here, PM or skype: brunislovas

thanks!

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Re: Koh Samui/Pha Ngan - family needs an advice

Postby Caesar » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:08 pm

brunislovas wrote:Hi, guys,

i've just booked flight tickets to Bangkok in the middle of January and am thinking about spending month in Koh Samui AND/OR Koh Phangan. I know, there's a risk with my kiteboarding, but let's keep this hope alive:)
the thing is, we have 2 kids (4&6 years old), and have two main conditions: 1. we don't want to be close to black, half or full moon parties, 2. live on the beach where the location is fine for kiting.

i'm IKO L2 instructor, intermediate/advanced level, so small hazards are ok to live with.

would be really grateful for advices and suggestions/contacts!
post here, PM or skype: brunislovas

thanks!
You watched the movie "The Beach" and believe that's reality?
Nah, you will be fine.
Regarding wind- nobody can tell for sure.

Cheers
Caesar 8)

ChickenTikka
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Thailand
Bol, Croatia
Mui. Ne Vietnam
Tarifa
Leucate
Gear: Looking to change up!

Postby ChickenTikka » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Wind is always on the light side in Thailand. So it's good if you have another hobby for the days when the wind isn't really there ( i play golf). You get thermals in the afternoon around March. Right now youll get wind in the morning. I nearly went (im in bombay) this week as a matter of fact.

I haven't kited in Koh Samui so can speak to it specifically. I have kited in Phuket, Hua Hin, and Pattya.

brunislovas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Curonian spit, Lithuania
Favorite Beaches: Los lances, Tarifa
Style: begginer/intermediate yet
Gear: 2011 Naish Parks. 12, 8 and 6.

Postby brunislovas » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:45 pm

places to stay? at least beaches, where, if there's a chance, i can get into water straight from the bungalow?

pestets13
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Moscow, Plesheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Colona watersports
Style: freeride
Gear: Ozone, Naish, Shinn, M-day

Postby pestets13 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:50 pm

brunislovas wrote:places to stay? at least beaches, where, if there's a chance, i can get into water straight from the bungalow?
I've been on Samui in Jan 2008. Mae Nam beach is kitable (almost straight from bungalow), they even have a kitestation there if I'm not mistaken. It was blowing 10-15 knots 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. almost every day during the week of my stay there, in the afternoon it was no wind at all. Around 5 people (locals) were kiting every day.

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M

Postby Kirok » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:57 pm

Yeah, I have been to Koh Samui twice and stayed at Mae Nam beach both times. There is a good point to the south east of the beach where the schools normally go. The beach is a bit wider there and it catches more wind. There are two shops/schools at Mae Nam. The one I like best is Dominque (http://www.kohsamuikiteboarding.com/). You can write him and he can set you straight. Last time, he picked me up at the hotel and drove me out to the spot. He rents and sells good equipment too.

kind regards
Kirk
pestets13 wrote:
brunislovas wrote:places to stay? at least beaches, where, if there's a chance, i can get into water straight from the bungalow?
I've been on Samui in Jan 2008. Mae Nam beach is kitable (almost straight from bungalow), they even have a kitestation there if I'm not mistaken. It was blowing 10-15 knots 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. almost every day during the week of my stay there, in the afternoon it was no wind at all. Around 5 people (locals) were kiting every day.

buzzz
Medium Poster

Postby buzzz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:46 pm

We've just had 4 straight days of unreal conditions for here, on Samui !

Perfect steady NorEast winds - late arvo's with the lower tide, has been cranking hovering around 20kts + sometimes.
I'm just about kited-out to tell the truth... huge expanse of flat water ... waves out on the reefs have been 'on' 3 out the 4 days with some very decent size wave faces (3-6') breaking over the razor sharp reef ...

Best thing has been the 'no show' of the regular kite school which normally clutters up part of the beach ...

I have not been on the water with more than 2 other kiters in 4 days !

However, it's bloody fickle here ... forecast says 2 more days of this bliss - we might get one of 'em (but hoping like fuk, its 2, or more even better), and then we might get nothing for 7 or more days ... just how it is here. :o

PS: Koh Phangan might have been just as good if not better - but I've not heard any local reports yet, and personely i have not kited over there yet, so don't really know what the set-up is like ...

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:30 am

Man what kind of job do you have that you can take a vacation for a month? You must not live in the US.

Christian2010
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Nuesidler See
Favorite Beaches: Los Roques
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Fuel 2010 11,9,7

Postby Christian2010 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:28 am

Mae Nam, as already mentioned, is defenitely the place to go in this area. the northern part of the island is much more relaxed the better place to go especially with family.

I was there last february. 5 days 10 to 15 knots and then 5 days no wind, that's the usual cycle.

So take your light wind stuff and you will be fine.

Check the facebook profile Wet + Dry Samui. thats the other school which is run by thai people. very nice guys they will give you all the info you need.

cheers christian

buzzz
Medium Poster

Postby buzzz » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:38 pm

5 STAIGHT days of perfect wind & conditions ... thats a record for here !
ALL 5 days late arvo, mid-tide, mostly only 1 other guy out - crazy
I'm so tired I can hardly type ... kerrr-knackerr'd ... when I walk, my knuckles r dragging along the floor ...
no more wind & waves tomorrow - PLEASE - my body can't take any more of this !!! ... now, where's that massage lady gone ...
...ONLY a kitesurfer knows the feeling... :jump:

Return to “Kitesurfing”