Pressure Drop

Forum for snow- and landkiters
kite_wyoming
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pressure Drop

Postby kite_wyoming » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:26 pm

This is in response to the gliding/flying post from Wayne. I think flying continues to evolve and is not stagnate like some people claim. My buddies and I have been sheeting the bar all the way out while in the air. This causes you to drop like a rock and reach the top end speed of your kite. If you look at the shadow, I would think it is pretty close to 30mph.
Then you hammer the bar all the way down and shoot way up into the air. I call it a Pressure Drop because you drop really fast.
What do you guys think? Is it progressive? Hope you enjoy!
Cheers
:thumb:

http://vimeo.com/32858458

BobandLaurel
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pressure Drop

Postby BobandLaurel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:43 am

Nice vid Chazz. I like the way you're riding the lift along the ridge at the beginning. Looks scary as shit though. Makes my balls tingle just watching it.

What camera are you using? Very clean video quality-way better than your older vids.

bob

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:21 am

Nice work Chaz...

I remember when we just called it sheeting out!

see you in January for some flying!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jkiter?feat ... 3dCQEqlylg

http://www.youtube.com/user/jkiter?feat ... rGhhfcgMhk

Baby air around 3:10

2008 action!!!

knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted

Postby knewschool » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:54 pm

I like it. I've never seen it to that extent before. We've played with it at Bondo, but I think the angles at Mt Baldy that day were perfect. It’s even hard to see the actual climb and fall in the video.

From my perspective looking across the hill it looks plain dangerous, you're definitely showing the ability of a tube kite to not frontal collapse by letting the kite get so far upwind of you and hanging of the front lines so extremely that you practically freefall. Many kites wouldn’t do it at all, but the Edge will depower “too far” in a sense. It’s like a paraglider’s full speed bar x10 which is a guaranteed frontal collapse, the trailing edge of the kite is practically like a flag in the wind. I saw you at one point come in to nearly touch the ground and your airspeed was such that just sheeting in gave you a 40 foot lift right off the deck without signing the kite once and with minimum lift because you were at the flats.

On my C4 it’s easy to sheet all the way out and pick up some extra speed and sink, then sheet my bar in and feel some lift. The Edge however looks as though it will nearly let all the power out so that you appear to free fall with almost no tension on the rear lines. It takes some faith to hold that and then sheet in rather than sign the kite. Scary! The next thing you’ll be doing is throwing a loop during the lift maxing out the possible G-Forces one could create since you’d be near maximum airspeed.

BobandLaurel
Rare Poster

Postby BobandLaurel » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:30 am

Will's description makes it sound even more scary. :o

Jonese
Rare Poster

Postby Jonese » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:42 am

Pretty work Chaz! That was definately the best day I have had snowkiting.
You two are fearless!

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:52 am

knewschool wrote:I like it. I've never seen it to that extent before. We've played with it at Bondo, but I think the angles at Mt Baldy that day were perfect. It’s even hard to see the actual climb and fall in the video.

From my perspective looking across the hill it looks plain dangerous, you're definitely showing the ability of a tube kite to not frontal collapse by letting the kite get so far upwind of you and hanging of the front lines so extremely that you practically freefall. Many kites wouldn’t do it at all, but the Edge will depower “too far” in a sense. It’s like a paraglider’s full speed bar x10 which is a guaranteed frontal collapse, the trailing edge of the kite is practically like a flag in the wind. I saw you at one point come in to nearly touch the ground and your airspeed was such that just sheeting in gave you a 40 foot lift right off the deck without signing the kite once and with minimum lift because you were at the flats.

On my C4 it’s easy to sheet all the way out and pick up some extra speed and sink, then sheet my bar in and feel some lift. The Edge however looks as though it will nearly let all the power out so that you appear to free fall with almost no tension on the rear lines. It takes some faith to hold that and then sheet in rather than sign the kite. Scary! The next thing you’ll be doing is throwing a loop during the lift maxing out the possible G-Forces one could create since you’d be near maximum airspeed.
The edge is a flying machine for sure. I had some super fast days on my 11m last year. We were ridgesoaring a little pocket on this short steep pitch then you would have to sheet all the way out to penatrate and not get blown over. It was super fun. I wish I could see Chaz,s flight from the perspective you saw it. Sounds super fun!

Return to “Snow / Land”