Forum for kitesurfers
droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Varial X Race vs. Cabrinha Crossbow 2012 vs. Ozone Edge 2012

Postby droffats » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:22 pm

I've ridden the 15m Varial X Race and found it to have more range than the Edge (maybe because of front line pulleys on the kite?). I know the Edge is unchanged from 2011, and I've ridden the non-lightwind 2012 Crossbows 7m and 9m.

What I'm looking for is feedback on the larger/largest sizes of these three. Anything you can tell will help.

Please don't post up about other models/brands. Let's keep this one on topic.

Thank you,
Droffats

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Varial X Race vs. Cabrinha Crossbow 2012 vs. Ozone Edge

Postby gbleck » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Tried the lw 16 x-bow this fall. It's nice and smooth like a Cadillac. Small detail but I really like the wider center hole. Going down wind you really pole out the bar looping it and having that wider hole helps adjust the angle of attack when looping and signing. Stable in the air. Tried running at it and riding at it and it was stable in gusty conditions. Removing the extra weight with 5 struts and a light LE bladder appears to have worked. Didn't try relaunching it. I'm looking to add a 11-12M race kite to my quiver. How did you like the smaller sized X-bows?

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:23 pm

The 7m and 9m had the classic Cabrinha Xbow "take on any gust with ease" Lexus like feel. Huge boost too. As good or very close to an Edge.

Not fast enough though for onshore wave riding. Not that they were designed for that. Not the fastest turning either....

- Droffats

LanBro
Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: 2019 Rebel / RPM
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby LanBro » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:53 pm

droffats wrote:The 7m and 9m had the classic Cabrinha Xbow "take on any gust with ease" Lexus like feel. Huge boost too. As good or very close to an Edge.

Not fast enough though for onshore wave riding. Not that they were designed for that. Not the fastest turning either....

- Droffats
Is there a big differnce in the 2012 9/7m xbow vs 2010 0r 2009? Turning speed and especially boost, not really hang time...more height

thanks

alienkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Israel mostly
Favorite Beaches: Dead sea
Style: Hot
Gear: Ozone kites with Slingshot boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby alienkiter » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:28 am

Ozone Edge is a beauty

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:33 pm

I have tried a few big kites, VXR's included...
It depends what you want...

For me the 14m Lithium with a very efficient board is the most fun - I can get going with this on a sector 60 by building apparent wind very well, and it is fast and manoeuvrable.. a lot of fun.. although 14 will not power upwind in under 10 knots as well as the big race kites granted, but it's quick enough that you can actually play in wave and generally mess around...

The 17m VXR is extraordinary upwind and across the wind in virtually no wind at all. It's far and above the most devastating thing I have ever used in under 10 knots; quite freakish. I struggled to keep it in the air above my head, but on the water I was starting to depower it once I built some apparent wind..
So if I wanted round a course, or wanted bragging rights to a race, then it's quite simply the only choice (of the kites I have tried thus far)- just don't expect to be wave riding with it, as it's about 1/4 the turning speed of the Lithium 14!
It's a race kite, pure and simple...

singlemalt
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Many

Postby singlemalt » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Seeing this thread made me blog about the 17m VXR sooner than I wanted to but here is my input.

17m Varial X Race Kite

I don't have a whole lot to add to what's already been said here but I've had time on the 13m and 17m VXR's. I'm waiting on the 15m to arrive to do a real comparison.

This kite really works well for getting going in the light stuff :thumb:

toober
Rare Poster
Local Beach: best rights in california, with great left sandbars!
Favorite Beaches: now why would i go and do a thing like that?
Style: barrel riding
Gear: twinfin surfboards, skim for flat, tow quad for heavy waves and maybe some loopies
Brand Affiliation: Pleskunas

Postby toober » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:48 pm

Been riding both the VXR 17 and 13m kites out here in California against Lake on his 18 and 16m Cabrinhas. Had a good training session the other day, 3 hours in flat water 6-11 knots on our big kites and long lines (35m). I am one of the lightest riders in the fleet out here (62kg) and he is one of the largest (95 kg), but his max width board + bigger fins should have helped compensate. I am riding a 3 inch narrower board and significantly smaller fins. Fairly even matchup in all conditions.

Very similar outline shape on both but the VXRs have thinner bladders everywhere and I feel are a touch flatter in their depth. Clinton and Mark at Airush have also opened up the range for each race kite dramatically! I feel like I can hold each of my kites into another 5 knots than last year! In fact I need to go extend my downhaul today! Will post on how I do that!

In the lighter stuff (6-8) I was hanging on him (worlds #3) and even pulling away at times, faster forward and once being slightly higher upwind than him, but once the breeze filled in to 10 knots I was almost overpowered and he was perfect. Need to open up my range on my bar to suit these new kites!

I am really stoked on the new race kites put out by Airush as they are really going to bring up my racing game for the 2012 season against all the top riders here in California. Even the top teams of Heineken/Kochs/Lake are taking a second look at the new VXR's. So that should say something...

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:41 pm

Right now the North Dyno is the best lightwind-Race kite.

That May change.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:01 am

"Right now the North Dyno is the best lightwind-Race kite.
That May change."

Based on what?

steve

Return to “Kitesurfing”