Forum for travel reports and travel questions
JasonWPD
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Destinations that have it all?!

Postby JasonWPD » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:40 am

In choosing my post-exams/pre-xmas vacation, I told my girlfriend I wanted to find a destination that had the following:
-Hot weather with board short temperature waters
-ability to surf AND kite (real waves and decent wind!)
-3rd world cheap costs
-no need of a rental car (walking distance from accommodation to surf/wind beach)

We ended up booking a flight to Cabarete because I feel as though (I hope?!) it will give me all of the above...

In researching all the suggestions on where to go, most places had at least one thing on my list that it could not offer. For example: La Ventana-need a rental car/no surf waves; Cape Town-expensive/wet suit; Northern Brazil-rental car; Aruba-expensive/flat waterzzzzzzz etc...

So, if cost/time of the flight is not an issue, what destinations fit my criteria of having it all??

mvandijk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde), Vrouwenpolder (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Salamansa (Sao Vicente, Cape Verde)
Style: Waves,Freestyle
Gear: Ozone, Cabrinha, Nobile

Re: Destinations that have it all?!

Postby mvandijk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:03 am

Hi Jason

I’ve been searching for such a place for more than 10 years and found it!

Perhaps it took so long because I had even more wishes:
- Great wind statistics for a very long season
- Lots of other things to do and see
- Good night life
- Not needing a long haul flight.

We’ve only just started so have not seen that many clients yet but so far, all told us that they had a great time (some who were here in November are trying to return for Xmas!). The other feedback we got: beauty of the island, the warmth/fun of the locals and the variety of things to do and see. Because it’s a Cape Verde island and many know of Sal and Boa Vista the big surprise is how different this island is (and it’s close neighbor Santo Antao).

CEPIDIX
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cabedelo Viana do Castelo, Portugal
Gear: North Rebel 9, 2009
North Rebel 12, 2010
Nobile 555,137, 2009

Postby CEPIDIX » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:31 am

mvandijk wrote:Hi Jason

I’ve been searching for such a place for more than 10 years and found it!

Perhaps it took so long because I had even more wishes:
- Great wind statistics for a very long season
- Lots of other things to do and see
- Good night life
- Not needing a long haul flight.

We’ve only just started so have not seen that many clients yet but so far, all told us that they had a great time (some who were here in November are trying to return for Xmas!). The other feedback we got: beauty of the island, the warmth/fun of the locals and the variety of things to do and see. Because it’s a Cape Verde island and many know of Sal and Boa Vista the big surprise is how different this island is (and it’s close neighbor Santo Antao).
Didn't understand wich island are you speaking about? S. Vicente?

mvandijk
Medium Poster

Postby mvandijk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:34 am

Indeed it's São Vicente!
Just opposite of São Vicente is the green island with high steep mountains: Santo Antao. The trade wind blows in between the islands which means a slight accelaration of wind we get at Salamansa (the main kitesurf spot on São Vicente).

CEPIDIX
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cabedelo Viana do Castelo, Portugal
Gear: North Rebel 9, 2009
North Rebel 12, 2010
Nobile 555,137, 2009

Postby CEPIDIX » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:12 pm

mvandijk wrote:Indeed it's São Vicente!
Just opposite of São Vicente is the green island with high steep mountains: Santo Antao. The trade wind blows in between the islands which means a slight accelaration of wind we get at Salamansa (the main kitesurf spot on São Vicente).
You consider S Vicente Better for Kite than Sal, if yes why?
I'm planning to go to Cape Verde so i would like to have some information how is S Vicente for waves do have an videos that you can show?
Cheers!!

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:52 pm

Hi mate,

What is the average wind speed there, day time, night time and water temperature?
Cost of accom, restaurant and supermarket prices? Is it EU?
I don't know nothing about that place but it sounds interesting.
Stupid Arkefly I believe is doing one of their fuel stops there on their long-haul flights between Amsterdam and Fortaleza with a little 737! Unbelievable but true - with a 737!

Cheers
Caesar 8)

mvandijk
Medium Poster

Postby mvandijk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:13 pm

CEPIDIX wrote:
You consider S Vicente Better for Kite than Sal, if yes why?
I'm planning to go to Cape Verde so i would like to have some information how is S Vicente for waves do have an videos that you can show?
Cheers!!
I think Sal and São Vicente are very different from each other.

In general
In my opinion Sal is convenience. It's infrastructure is very well set up for tourism.
São Vicente is rough but more adventurous and authentic. It is so non−touristy at Sao Vicente that I am struggling to find any videos (of course we will produce some in the next months).

For kiting

1) Wind
From all of the statistics we have so far (spanning >12 months) it seems that on average São Vicente (in fact Salamansa) has 1-2 knots more wind compared to Sal (kite beach).
Because of the orientation of the beaches in Sao Vicente (sandy beaches on North and East sides), it is easier to find a spot with a good wind direction when the wind differs from the NE (e.g. NNE / ENE) which is an advantage that is more relevant earlier and later in the season.

2) Waves
For the advanced riders
With the winter swell coming from the North, Sal has Punta Preta in terms of wave size is just awesome. For the same swell direction, at São Vicente, we get big waves at the second point of Salamansa as well but they are smaller than those seen at Punta Preta. Both are right handers. The wind at Ponta Preta is slighly more offshore whereas at the 2nd point of Salamansa is slightly more sideshore.
I may be unaware, but I´ve been told that if the swell comes from the South (more common early and late in the season), Sal does not have fantastic waves. At Sao Vicente we have Sandy beach and Tupim. These are hardcore with cross−offshore wind and more rocks than sand (do not let the name fool you) but the waves have a fantastic shape (the spots are part of the national surfing championship circuit) and are easy to reach (channel at the beach and break left and right of the channel).
For the average rider
I would say that Sao Vicente has more wave spots that are better suited for the average rider.
Sal has kite beach which is wonderful but the shape of the waves is not spectacular.
Sao Vicente has wave spots, (1st and 2nd points at Salamansa, Praia Norte) that have a beautiful shape are easy to ride and are safe with sand beach and break/wind taking you into a safe. Salamansa is a right hander, and Praia Norte is a left hander. Both work with swell from the North but for Praia Norte the wind is about 2 knots less than Salamansa.

3) Conditions on the water.
Sal has many kiters on the water. Great to be part of the scene and show off.
On Sao Vicente, the only beach (at least for now) with kiters is Salamansa. Even at Salamansa, 4 kiters on the water is busy!

For Sal:
Kite beach: smaller waves that quickly close out
Ponta Preta: bigger waves with nice shape and longer ride
Secret spot: bigger waves with nice shape and longer ride
Santa Maria: shore break

For Sao Vicente:
Salamansa: big bay with smaller waves that quickly close out in main part, 2 point breaks with bigger waves with nice shape and longer ride on NE point and small flat water are in upwind area
Praia Norte: bigger waves with nice shape and longer ride
Sandy Beach: bigger waves with nice shape and longer ride
Tupim: bigger waves with nice shape and longer ride
Sao Pedro: shore break

I've attached some pictures of our center at Salamansa beach on the busiest day so far (12 kiters on the water)
Attachments
Busy-day-seen-from-center.jpg
Busy-day-seen-from-center.jpg (66.08 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
center-&-dunes-v2.jpg
center-&-dunes-v2.jpg (27.73 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
End_of_day3.jpg
End_of_day3.jpg (40.4 KiB) Viewed 3096 times
view-from-center.jpg
view-from-center.jpg (34.68 KiB) Viewed 3096 times

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:36 pm

hmmm everything we do not have at home... hehe ;) Please keep them comming!

mvandijk
Medium Poster

Postby mvandijk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Caesar wrote:
Hi mate,

What is the average wind speed there, day time, night time and water temperature?
Cost of accom, restaurant and supermarket prices? Is it EU?
I don't know nothing about that place but it sounds interesting.
Stupid Arkefly I believe is doing one of their fuel stops there on their long-haul flights between Amsterdam and Fortaleza with a little 737! Unbelievable but true - with a 737!

Cheers
Caesar 8)
Hi Caesar,

The wind if measured from 10 am to 5pm every day, blows 11-25 knots 85-99% of the time (November - June) BUT: we have moderate La Nina conditions this month so most likely we may dip slightly below the 85% in December.Breakdown of those 11-25 knot days: 60% are in the 16-18 knot range, 5% in the 11-12 knot, 15% in the 13-15 knot and 20% in the 19-25 knot range).
Wind is there when we arrive in the morning at 8 am and is still there when it get's dark. I have not looked at the numbers within a day yet, but I get the impression that the afternoons are slightly better than the mornings.

Air temperature: 24 - 27C
Water temperature: 22 - 26C

A lot of food is imported so if you do not adapt and only stick to Europen food (peanut butter , gouda cheese and chocolate spread for on the bread - for the Dutch :wink: ) then it starts getting expensive.
Going out for a meal:
A meal at the equivalent of a fast food joint costs 1-2 euros (excl drink). A meal at a good value fr money restaurant (incl drink) costs 8 euros. A meal at a highly regarded restaurant costs 9-10 euros. A meal at a super exclusive place geared for the rich (there are few of those) can cost you much more :-?

There is all sorts of accomodation but nothing super exclusive (no Marriott / Hilton) and nothing on a big scale (no mass tourism). A very basic (with toilet in the house :D ) place at Salamansa costs as little as 15 euros per night, a luxurious house at the beach shared with 6 costs 20 euros per night, a very nice appartment with breakfast with view of sea in Mindelo can cost 50 euros per night.

JasonWPD
Rare Poster

Postby JasonWPD » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:18 pm

So keeping with the original post, I did some research on Cape Verde. Here's what I think...

-Hot with boardshort temperature waters
Hot summer's/not so hot winters but warm water. Since I'd be going with my girlfriend
I think it would have to be a bit hotter during the winter (northern hemisphere) for it to
be good.

-Surf AND Kite
Kite-yes but no mention of kiteSURFING, only flat waterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Surf-yes but only during winter swells and not so 'hot' in winter (see above)

-3rd world cheap
possible

-no need of rental vehicle once at location
If staying at Salamansa, a car is not needed assuming I could walk to kite/surf
beaches which is what one of the posts is saying...

Conclusion: After searching magicseaweed about Cape Verde surf spots, I came to the conclusion that Sal is where the 'real' surfing is yet it appears that you need a car to get from surf beach to kite beaches to accommadations etc.. on Sal. While Cape Verde appears to be an epic 'off the beaten track' authentic experience with good kiting and cheap accoms/food etc., the lack of quality surf AND kitesurfing during the same day (morning surf then afternoon kitesurfing) makes me not want to put this location on my list of 'Destinations that have it all!'

So the question still remains...

Return to “Travel”