Medium Poster
Local Beach: Anse,Valois,Kb,AdV
Gear: Cab,Cf
Brand Affiliation: CCamp.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kitesurfung Zanzibar

Postby droptine » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:25 am

Dr_Rosen wrote:I can direct you to some people that was there for 4 weeks in dec/jan last year. They got one day with wind.
You should REALLY check the wind stats !!
Wow!!! Then i might as well head down to my home land ...Mauritius, pretty sure I will get some wind, might as well since I will be only a couple of more hours flight...:(

den2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: France - Maguelonne
Favorite Beaches: Brazil - Prea
Gear: Switchblade 2009 - 12
Cult 2008 - 9
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby den2 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:25 pm

Just back from Paje, on the east coast of Zanzibar. I spent 10 days there from mid-January. Great spot: long and large beach of white sand (unlike Margherita in Venezuela...) and shallow beautiful turquoise water with a 1 mile large lagoon. The wind was there nearly every day (no wind on 2 days) but often late in the afternoon and not very strong. I stayed riding after sunset, thanks to the moonlight, to take advantage of the wind... 12 sqm or above is a must. I did not use my 9 sqm. But when the wind arrives, it is really a dream to ride on this translucid water! The tide has a big effect: the water is pulling out by 500m! But you can still ride, just have to walk over the lagoon and to be careful of not riding over the high sand. Best place for beginners! There is just the middle of the lagoon where you have to be careful because local farmers have planted sticks to grow up seaweed. However, these fields of seaweed occupy a small place and once you know where they are, you have a lot of space to ride in peace!
Hotel: I went to the Kinazi hotel. The wooden bungalows with palm tree roof are the best choice. Rooms with concrete walls are too hot. The rooms are very basic but confortable enough. At $45 including breakfast, it is a good deal. If you look at a little bit more comfort, the sister hotel, the cristal is more sophisticated with rooms at $65 (and a swimming pool + internet). Both hotels are straight on the beach. Security is very good. Each hotel has their security guards 24h a day and you are not annoyed every 10m on the beach.
Partying: great nights at Teddys place or Paje by Night. Good music, fabulous atmosphere: really fun!
Flights: I took KLM from London. They were very helpful to secure my 2 hold bags including the kite bag from the local airline flying the last bit between Nairobi and Zanzibar. This airline (Precision Air) would give you only one bag if you book directly with them and I was not sure about their acceptance of a kite bag. Virgin has a very good price to go to Nairobi + 2 bags including a kite bag but they cannot arrange the last bit to Zanzibar, hence KLM.
Other: Change your money at the airport or Stonetown because the local change is, let's say, variable. Also, ensure that you take recent US$ notes. Older notes (2006?) are not accepted.
Conclusion: a very beautiful place where you can ride nearly every day (at least in January). If you want to spend the maximum time riding, Brazil north east (Prea!) is the best place I know but only July to mid-Jan.

kastho
Rare Poster

Postby kastho » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:52 am

I was ón zanzibar in 2010.

I was there for 30 days and 4 days of kiting:( it was in january that should be the most windy. So if its for kiting only dont go to zanzibar. But if you wanna see life in africa zanzibar/Tanzania is the place.

I was a trip i never forget, since the People there was Nice and very helpful. I was living in paje and Nice hotel, cheap and with decent food.

But beaware of no eletricity ón the zanzibar, the time i stay there. Since the generator was brokedown. But hakuna matata A's they say.

But it and totally difference, from what you are use to from Europe.

There is many places and good bad Airlines, trips and ticks.

If you want more info mail mé at kastho(a)hotmail.com

Pumma
Medium Poster
Local Beach: KiteBeach Maui , MuiNe Vietnam , Paje Zanzibar , Hua Hin Thailand , 'Secret Spot' Greece
Favorite Beaches: KiteBeach Maui
Gear: North Vegas , Flexifoil Hadlow Wake , Ronix Parks , RipCurl

Postby Pumma » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:29 pm

Hello
i am thinking of travelling to Zanzibar but not decided yet about the period...
mid January for 15days OR
onFebruary
i ve read all the previous posts but some said its proper period some not....
Some info pls about wind,cheaper tickets,accomodation etc
thanks in advance

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:09 pm

can some local tell us the deal on the wind for good?

From what I have heard the wind is there from May to October?

Anyone knows for sure?

Pumma
Medium Poster
Local Beach: KiteBeach Maui , MuiNe Vietnam , Paje Zanzibar , Hua Hin Thailand , 'Secret Spot' Greece
Favorite Beaches: KiteBeach Maui
Gear: North Vegas , Flexifoil Hadlow Wake , Ronix Parks , RipCurl

Postby Pumma » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:43 pm

the place is awesome and i want to kite there but please give your review about the weather
because the local kiteschools say there is KASKASI wind effect from
15th December - 15th April, North to South wind and some people said in past posts they they went and they didn't kite much....
but give us please some more details
and some tips about the place nice & cheap hotels-bungalows,place to eat etc

thanks in advance... :wink:

towardflo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: la torche
Favorite Beaches: le morne, coche, bois jolan, piantarella
Style: freestyle and wave
Gear: rev2 7&11

Postby towardflo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:59 am

i spent 3 weeks in paje last summer (5-28 july) and had a 100% wind trip !!! I had a 8 and 10m and I only used my 10 two times...
the best season is from june to september but may to october could be good too, depending on the years...
there's another little wind season in feb-march but the wind is more light and unpredictable...

if you want a cool and cheap place to stay, go to teddy's place, nice bandas, excellent food and nice people

feel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brzezno, Rewa, Jastarnia

Postby feel » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:16 pm

anybody has traveled from Dar Es Salaam to Zanzibar with Precision Airlines and checked in a Golf Bag with kite equipment? I'm wondering how much extra I'll have to pay...

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:30 pm

I was there two weeks ago from 22-29Dec and just missed the wind :(

Check windguru archive, adjust the dates to see the history of what the wind did from previous years.

Its also way too hot and humid this time of year. I last went in Aug 2011 for 12 days and had good wind with only two days of no wind.

feel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brzezno, Rewa, Jastarnia

Postby feel » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 pm

thanks for that, but this doesn't answer my Precision Air baggage question ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”