Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone 2012 Access vs. Frenzy

forum for snow- and landkiters


Cray
Medium Poster
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:37 pm
Brand Affiliation: None

Ozone 2012 Access vs. Frenzy

Postby Cray » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:04 pm

Hey! Unfortunately it's very hard for me to demo the Access and Frenzy. I'm searching for a high-wind kite (6-7-8 m2): Which of the above has better depower and which is better at handling gusts?

Frenzy has a better profile, but it also comes with mylar inserts and probably needs concertina folding. I prefer a stable/solid kite for high-wind :-).

Haugastol
Rare Poster
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:06 am
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Oslo, Norway
Favorite Beaches: Too many
Style: Any
Gear: Ozone
Cabrinha
Mystic
Underground
HQ
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Cabrinha
HQ

Re: Ozone 2012 Access vs. Frenzy

Postby Haugastol » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:46 pm

Frenzy is better at everything ... and it costs more.

Craz Z
Frequent Poster
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:22 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: montana

Re: Ozone 2012 Access vs. Frenzy

Postby Craz Z » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Cray wrote: I'm searching for a high-wind kite (6-7-8 m2): Which of the above has better depower and which is better at handling gusts?
I prefer a stable/solid kite for high-wind :-).


If this is what you are truly after in a kite look at the other kites ozone has. anything will be better then those 2 for highwind stability. REO, C4, Edge, Catalyst. :thumb:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4567
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: Ozone 2012 Access vs. Frenzy

Postby plummet » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:53 pm

i can comment on the 2011 frenzy. haven't flown the 2012 stuff. I flew the 7m in winds 25-40+knots. for me on the landboard at 82 pies the frenzy was sweet until 33ish knots and then i was just overpowered to hell. The 6m access i could hold to 38-40.

So what do you want a storm kite for stupid conditions? then access is the answer.

or a dyanmic fun kite for high wind that you can jump and have more fun in the intermediate to high winds, but will be more powered in the hell gusty storms? then go the 7 frenzy.

PS i pressurme your looking at a foil for back country snow kiting and don't want a lei.
If lei is a an option then the 6m reo kicks the access and the frenzy to bits as a nuking wind storm kite. it has way more depower at the bar and can handle 25-45 knots with relative ease. Not as much lift as the frenzy tho. so the frenzy woudl still be more fun in the 20-30 range.

Cray
Medium Poster
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:37 pm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone 2012 Access vs. Frenzy

Postby Cray » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:21 am

Hey Plummet :-).

plummet wrote:I flew the 7m in winds 25-40+knots. for me on the landboard at 82 pies the frenzy was sweet until 33ish knots and then i was just overpowered to hell. The 6m access i could hold to 38-40.


That's some serious wind power...

My 10m Airush Crest 2011 had me struggling on icey lake in 25+ kts + safety on it sucks,
keeps pulling.

plummet wrote:So what do you want a storm kite for stupid conditions? then access is the answer.

or a dyanmic fun kite for high wind that you can jump and have more fun in the intermediate to high winds, but will be more powered in the hell gusty storms? then go the 7 frenzy.

PS i pressurme your looking at a foil for back country snow kiting and don't want a lei.
If lei is a an option then the 6m reo kicks the access and the frenzy to bits as a nuking wind storm kite. it has way more depower at the bar and can handle 25-45 knots with relative ease. Not as much lift as the frenzy tho. so the frenzy woudl still be more fun in the 20-30 range.


Yp, I'm looking for back-country/hills/mountains/get-me-safely-around kite. An emergency kite when you are out, caught in overpowering conditions, thrown in with some gusts and want to get home safely. Which would be safer to handle; let's say Access 6.5m or Frenzy 6.5m?

Cray
Medium Poster
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:37 pm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone 2012 Access vs. Frenzy

Postby Cray » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:26 am

Haugastol wrote:Frenzy is better at everything ... and it costs more.


Did you try both? In gusty conditions?

poldo
Frequent Poster
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:01 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Italy

Re: Ozone 2012 Access vs. Frenzy

Postby poldo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:43 pm

video of friend of mine riding Access in 30 gusty knots:

http://www.youtube.com/v/EyG5MbuZgE8

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4567
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: Ozone 2012 Access vs. Frenzy

Postby plummet » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Cray wrote:
Yp, I'm looking for back-country/hills/mountains/get-me-safely-around kite. An emergency kite when you are out, caught in overpowering conditions, thrown in with some gusts and want to get home safely. Which would be safer to handle; let's say Access 6.5m or Frenzy 6.5m?



For a kite to get you out of serious situations.

There's no doubt in my mind. The access.

User avatar
Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 821
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:04 pm
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!
Location: Higher Elevations

Re: Ozone 2012 Access vs. Frenzy

Postby Windzup » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:54 pm

The 6 and 8 meter Access kites are proven storm worthy wings. For many years the 6 was the go to kite for many Ozone Team riders that spent their time in the mountains. The design has not changed on the Access in a couple of seasons, so I would recommend looking for a 2010 or 2011 model with the simplistic Y-line set up. The 2012's have a more complicated 5 line configuration that could be troublesome if released in gusty or strong winds.

Noah P has dialed in a good technique for dealing with the 5th line safety more easily. Our school at Skyline, Kite Utah, has been using the smaller size Gin Yeti's and Ikon kites in replace of the Access this season, and I can attest they are worthy alternatives.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

www.windzup.com

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4567
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: Ozone 2012 Access vs. Frenzy

Postby plummet » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Windzup wrote: I would recommend looking for a 2010 or 2011 model with the simplistic Y-line set up. The 2012's have a more complicated 5 line configuration that could be troublesome if released in gusty or strong winds.


I don't agree with this statement. Try solo landing a 6m access in 30+ knot winds on the brakes or the top hat safety and then get to the kite. its near impossible. The down wind pull is still considerable. This new 5th line is the best safety feature they have released since they started making depower foils. For a storm kite i'd recommend this new system. I'm still running the old system and its damn diffiuclt solo in overpowered conditions.


Return to “Snow / Land”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest