Rare Poster
Local Beach: ireland
Style: want to race
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Race events

Postby barnold » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:52 am

Hi ive just go in to kite racing. I havent done any events as im from Ireland and theres not much around here. Ive borrowed a north race lts 2010

I have a few questions.
1)
the big fins go on the back of the north race 2010..?

2)
wats the best way to ride the the board.

3)
I want to do a few events this year but dont know which ones..? I guess one are 2 in the Uk are europe..?

thanks dave

swell
Frequent Poster
Gear: the fastest

Re: Race events

Postby swell » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi,

if you want be at least a little cmpetitive the North race from 2010 is a bad (retired) choise... Go with at least the Race Ltd 59 or much better Race Ltd 69 (if North) or any brand's race board that is not older than 2011. Also you'll need kites, wich are good for racing - very good upwind, litghtweight and also in bigger sizes like 16-18m or even better true race kites, like North Dyno, Ozone Edge and others.
Than you'll need to practice tacks (on upwind) and jibes (downwind) - if you can't make them 95%, there is no chance to compete at any international event.
If you still decide to start with North Race Ltd 2010, the bigger fins go in front this way you'll have better upwind. You can also bring them back - this way you'll have poor upwind but more controlable downwind ride.
As for events I think there are lots of national events in Europe countries, for international the bigest in Europe is the KTE (kitesurftour.eu).

Good luck!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:56 pm

just organize a local kite race and see how that goes.
you need few buoys and someone giving a signal.
Might start to bring more guys into racing in your area.
You should have raced before you want to hit a KTE event, since you need to know the rules as well.
No fun if someone has no clue, this stops the whole fleet.
Keep testing with fins, boards, kites, line lengths, harnesses etc and different conditions. This way you will learn a lot about gear.

barnold
Rare Poster
Local Beach: ireland
Style: want to race

Postby barnold » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi lads thanks for the help.

I have a 7m evo 2010, 10m north rebel2011. and a sling shot fuel 15.

With the north race board from 2010 what would be the chance over between kites be?

Thanks Dave

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:13 am

of your kites, the rebel is the best race kite.

Like Toby is saying try to get something going locally. It is super fun. We sometimes do casual races, but I would like it to become more solid.

Actually you do not need signals or buoys in the beginning. We have an island we go around. At some point someone will lose it behind the island as we are cutting it kind of close, but I guess it is just a risk we're taking.

In the beginning you don't need to worry too much about anything. The competitive genes will take over soon enough. Once you get something up and going, then discuss something more organized. It can be super social and so much fun.

Riding close to other, having your kites bump and riding really shoulder to shoulder to an extent where your boards are almost touching is a lot of fun, and very much adrenaline inducing.

If you have problems getting something going, try to set your vacation for Maui or Oahu this summer. Great gang of friendly competitors, that does not take things too seriously...but seriously enough to make it more fun. Three classes: raceboard, directional and TT. Crazy fun.

Also super fun to grab a few cold ones after the races...:-)

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:22 am

come and join in some of the non british tour events in the uk this year.
these events are exactly what you are looking for and we are trying to set more up.
confirmed so far are the Edge cup in exmouth in june and the Pasty cup in penzance in aug.
or come to a bksa event but on that board you prob wont get to finish in the time limit so i suggest doing some of the fun events.
dates will be released by bksa end of jan.
hope to see you
cheers
lee

Return to “Kitesurfing”