Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone 2012 Access vs. Frenzy

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Windzup
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Skyline and Strawbs
Favorite Beaches: Any Mountain with snow and wind.
Style: funky
Gear: my favorite kite
Brand Affiliation: NONE, Be yourself and fly what you like... I do like Ozone People tho!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ozone 2012 Access vs. Frenzy

Postby Windzup » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:20 am

With the Y-line, if the kite is powered up after pulling the top hat or brakes... pull in on an outside line to flag out the kite. Tie the line off or walk up the line to the kite. Its even possible to pull the kite to you if its deeper snow.

The cross bridle on the 2011/2012 Frenzy prevented the opportunity for flagging with the above method, and the newer Frenzy design seemed to retain even more power with the brakes on than previous models... forcing ozone to adapt to a 5th line.

I have landed the 6m access in 40 plus mph winds on many occasions using the above method. Got to love strong wind.

The next best option is having a bomber anchor to secure the kite, then run up to the kite and put snow on the trailing edge, or on a wing tip if flagged out.

Windzup,
Brian Schenck

Cray
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Cray » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Windzup wrote:The 2012's have a more complicated 5 line configuration that could be troublesome if released in gusty or strong winds.

Noah P has dialed in a good technique for dealing with the 5th line safety more easily. Our school at Skyline, Kite Utah, has been using the smaller size Gin Yeti's and Ikon kites in replace of the Access this season, and I can attest they are worthy alternatives.
So Access it is :-). I use 5th on my LEIs and love it, what is your experiance with 5th on the new Ozone foils. Why are they problematic?

Brian, can you give a link to the mentioned "Noah P's technique"?

Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Noahpz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:28 am

Here is what I do:

The new Frenzy is very well behaved in high winds. It has great range and having the 5th line as an option when landing in gale force wind creates confidence, even in an experienced pilot. My technique to land the kite in stronger winds is to use the webbing break strap to lower the kite to dead downwind. After the kite settles in this natural downwind location – it is sitting there on the ground held down by the pilot holding the break strap – drop the chicken loop or release the megatron.

If you release the loop smoothly in this manner, the kite will fold back on itself and lie there. The bar will slide up the center line ten to twenty feet. At this point I secure the 5th line to a ski/board binding and move to the kite to secure it or fold it up for the next session.

Any questions?

Have fun and see ya out there,

Noah

jamtmann
Rare Poster

Postby jamtmann » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:21 am

My opinion: Access is more stable and user friendly than the Frenzy.

Cray
Medium Poster

Postby Cray » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:59 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the input.

I've purchased an almost never flown 2010 6m Access and managed to test it yesterday in crazy gusty wind. A *very* sweet and nicely behaved kite. :-))). Now all I need is SNOW, unfortunately it's one of the driest winters we had here.... :-(.

Return to “Snow / Land”