Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9
Brand Affiliation: None

Rabbits vs helix

Postby salvino » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:55 pm

I currently have 2010 helix 12&9 and am considering switching to the new rabbit kites because:
Delta shape (? Any negatives ?)
Bar seems very nice
Power (any experience with depower and stability in gusts?)

I ride great lakes (gusty) mostly freeride and surf. No unhooking yet but want to.
My reason for leaving Naish is sigma appears to being shelved so I can't see getting bolt and park seems just ok. The bar is nice but the center line (depower) needs replacing every year.
There are never demos around which sucks and should change.
Any experience with new (or old) rabbits?

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Re: Rabbits vs helix

Postby TheJoe » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:05 pm

I learned on Rabbits. You can not go wrong with them. A 12/9 combo has a huge wind range. I can manage 10kts (current has to favorable and can not go lower than 10) to 35kts gusts up to 40kts (I do short lines and strapless surf board for this only). You can tune the kites to fit your style or conditions. They are great in the waves and good at everything else freeride, freestyle, and wakestyle. Unhooking is good on them once you have them dialed and trimmed correctly. If I could only own one kite it would be the Smoke!

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds encouraging

smurphd
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby smurphd » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:38 pm

[quote="salvino"]
My reason for leaving Naish is sigma appears to being shelved so I can't see getting bolt and park seems just ok.

sorry, but what do you mean by that.That there is no sigma for 2013 or ? and if so how would that affect your choice for 2012 ? just doesn´t make any sense to me, but im probably misunderstanding something.

AmericanRonin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Hampshire Seacoast
Favorite Beaches: Silver Sands, Barbados. Cabarete. Corpus Christi.
Style: Wave Rider
Gear: 6' Crazyfly Strapless, BWS TDZ

Postby AmericanRonin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:10 am

I've been flying rabbits for the past couple of years. I bought both of mine (12 and 9) from Kite Naked, they were demo kites before I got'em so they weren't exactly crispy coming out of the pack. I mention that because the things were quasi-beat-up when I got them (the twelve more than the nine) and I've been using them for two years and they're still kickin'. I learned my first tricks on them, so rest assured: they took abuse. They handle gusts nicely, bar pressure's moderately high, awesome in the waves. I'd say if you're going to use them for one discipline more than any other: use them for waves.

I haven't had as good of success in light wind with a 12/9 quiver as the previous poster did, but I'm heavier than most riders as well. At 200 lbs, I need 16 knots or better to use my twelve without losing steam. I can start using my nine around nineteen but I don't usually take it out until I'm in the low twenty-knot range. I've kited in up to 32 with it but realistically, I'd switch to a smaller kite (If I had one) at that point, if I could.

Wainman recently came out with some in-between sizes. Since the 12 and 9 have pretty good wind range as it is, I can only assume that the in-between sizes are to aid heavier riders in finding kites that work well for'em. So depending on how much you weigh, you might consider the 10.5 or 7.5 as well.

tolvsbo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: where ther's wind
Gear: naish and nobile

Postby tolvsbo » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi!

My first kites were Helix and Cult, latest years RPM's, and i 've had and have tried RRD's, Ozone's, Wainman, Naish Park + +.

No Kite I've tried comes even with the Zigmas when it comes to handing gusty conditions, when sailing straight forward. The stiff frame, good depower and outline of the kites makes them so easy to handle. However jumping with them in gusty conditions can result in overflying if there is a sudden lull. ( my personal experience)

I swithched from Zigmas due to the "stiff" feeling you get from the kites, and didn't like the park for the same reason. It's like they are to much on/off for my taste. As for wave riding I feel the RPM's are way superior with it's "drifting" capabilities,and provide a much "softer" feel. 12m and 8m RPM's has had me covered from 11 to 40 knots both on a TT and Surfboard.

If you like the way Zigmas fly and want to try somthing new i think WH is a pretty good choice.
Extremly friendly kite with great depower and coolest graphics on the water.

Myself i'm going Banddit 5 myself this year :D

good luck with the choice

Return to “Travel”