Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best surfboard shape/fins/thickness for upwind?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best surfboard shape/fins/thickness for upwind?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:10 pm

JollyGreen wrote:Aside from raceboards, what's the best surfboard for getting upwind? I have an underground twintip 148x46cm and I think it can go upwind better than most surfboards even in the lightest winds. I want to ride some small waves and mostly practice carves, toeside, and transitions with some small wave riding. Looking for a general idea of what to look for so I can go hunt around the surfboard shops here and try and find something that might work.
Just curious: Is it because you want to replace your 148x46, you ask for "the best for going upwind" ?

As this is typically also the worst regarding carving and waves and chop...

If you plan to keep the 148x46 for light wind, you could use the surfboard for "different fun", and you could go with an allround surfboard (they are never too rockered) - just like most riders do.

And if you sometimes plan to use it when REALLY windy (if it gets windy in your region ?), you will be much better off this way IMO :naughty:

If it is to replace your TT for light wind fun - then yes, you could go for a really good lightwind and upwind board, but not as wavelike.

:D Peter

cramman
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cramman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:09 pm

i really did like the shape of the Celertias as shown in the pic - and it wasn't that stiff/hard for a prod board.

But the metal track system for the straps has to go - it's a toe slicing nightmare. Yes, they include a strip of rubber to put in the track so you don't slice your toes - but you have to cut it up if you want it to work with the straps in - then when you take the straps off??

it's just a poor design - regular inserts have worked well for a long time.

other than that, the board was great.

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:34 pm

[imghttp://cisurfboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/dane_with_dumpster_diver_update.jpg][/img]

[url][/http://cisurfboards.com/wp-content/uplo ... ate.jpgurl]

Here is my personal dream upwind, sidewind and downwind board. I cant seem to make it post the pic though, anyone????. This is a full figured wider thinner board, it's what all the cool kids are surfing on and I reckon it would go upwind really good. Go pick one up in a surfboard shop and try not to drool on it. But it's so hot right now I can't afford to try one. Even used they they get $400 bucks for them. Ian Allredge or Felix Pivec would crush it like a bug in 10 minutes, but if someone was just learning to ride waves it might last a year kiting. I'm speaking un-strapped on a sandy beach in tiny waves here.
If the pic doesn't come up, search : Dane Reynolds Dumpster Diver. Or, see the youtube: Lost 5'5"X19 1/4", from which the design concept originated about 15 years ago. See the way the boards get up on a plane and shoot forward when pushed, the same attributes would have you flying upwind, for sure. And when you ride that wave......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnrm4xtq-Bs

timebandit
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Camber

Postby timebandit » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:44 pm

Technique gets you upwind better than anything.

Lots of rocker will slow you down simply because you are "pushing" water unless you can get onto the tail end of the board, which wont happen in light winds. Flat rocker and parralel rails you might as well be on a twin tip. Riding a surf board like a twin tip is innefficient, most people ride like it i.e digging in a rail,........ a good indication of efficiency is how much spray you are throwing out. Loads of spray is equal to drag.
Ride a board flat and use the fins not the rail to go up wind, this requires a modification of technique but it works...I have found Flat inside foil fins work better than inside foiled fins, I use kelly slater large fins and feel that they are better than a pc 7 or similar inside foil fin.

Xtream
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brant Beach LBI
Style: Old School
Gear: Slingshot Machine 12M & 9M
Airush Ultra 17
Nomad Ultrawave
Rogue Wave 132
Rogue Wave Fat Bastard
Brand Affiliation: No Brand Affiliation

Postby Xtream » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Cramman Wrote"
Yes, they include a strip of rubber to put in the track so you don't slice your toes - but you have to cut it up if you want it to work with the straps in - then when you take the straps off??
Funny you mentioned that, I felt the same thing, so I called Slingshot and they are sending me out another set of rubber strips so I can cut them and insert them with the straps on and use the un-cut pair when I ride strapless. I will see how it works out...

X

cramman
Rare Poster

Postby cramman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:07 am

Xtream wrote: Funny you mentioned that, I felt the same thing, so I called Slingshot and they are sending me out another set of rubber strips so I can cut them and insert them with the straps on and use the un-cut pair when I ride strapless. I will see how it works out...

X
that's the only solution i could think of as well

in a pinch we filled the entrance of the track with surfwax and it kinda worked - candle wax might work better...

great board aside from that!

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:19 am

windrupted wrote:[imghttp://cisurfboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/dane_with_dumpster_diver_update.jpg][/img]

[url][/http://cisurfboards.com/wp-content/uplo ... ate.jpgurl]

Here is my personal dream upwind, sidewind and downwind board. I cant seem to make it post the pic though, anyone????.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:33 am

F-One Fish. That board has almost no rocker, just a bit of nose lift then dead flat and quite wide. It is more like a skimboard with fins. Mine is the 5'4". I am 184cm and 78kg.

I have done a GPS comparison between the F-One and my Sector 60. For every out-back leg of the Sector 60 the F-One does two legs. ie; The F-One is half as good upwind as the Sector 60.

I am guessing here but the F-One is possibly 50% better than my purpose built light wind TT.

Any surfboard with much rocker will be slow and not good for going upwind. Rocker makes boards better for turning on waves but you need much more wind or a bigger kite to ride successfully.

The F-One is fantastic in small waves and wind chop where you are using the waves as banks and berms for slashing turns. It is quite good for pumping along on the face of waves and quite good for slashing on the face, provided you ride slow enough. If you go too fast the turns tend to extend out onto the flats or you can skip out.

TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Postby TommyDuotone » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:14 am

Agree with Peter F. It's a give and take with upwind vs. performance. Ex.The best surfboard I've ridden for going upwind also happened to perform the worst on the waves. An extreme example would be a raceboard.

Just also wanted to add. Some choose their kite first based on the wind/conditions, then choose the board they want to ride. I do the opposite. I usually look at the waves and figure the out what board I want to ride. Then, depending on the size of board and wind, choose the kite. My point being, I would not get a surfboard mainly for it's ability to go upwind. rather, get a surfboard(or two) that best matches the wave conditions you will be in. Good luck. :D

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:44 am

Thats the one! Thanks Tautologies, you are good, how did you do that? I just reason, the point of riding a surfboard upwind is so you get to ride a wave back down wind. So whatever I ride needs to do both as well as possible. I find short wide surf boards are the best compromise, and the lighter the better. With a big wide outline as seen above, you can get away with a flatter rocker, and that combination gets up and planes sooner. And it's more fun in the typical blown out little waves we ride on most days. This board and this surfer really stirred up the pot and a lot of short wide fun boards with chopped off tails are being shaped all over the world. The Dumpster Diver would get upwind for sure!

Return to “Kitesurfing”