Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo Soul drysuit, now showing at Surfexpo!

Forum for kitesurfers
EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ocean Rodeo Soul drysuit, now showing at Surfexpo!

Postby EvanOR » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:00 am

Introducing the SOUL

Highly refined design meets technical performance.

Offering greater flexibility than any wetsuit and customizable levels of warmth the SOUL is Ocean Rodeo's premier drysuit for SUPing, Kiting and Sailing. The SOUL features: waterproof breathable material, Captive Zip self entry, crotch relief zip and a removable hood and is the 3rd suit in our ever expanding line up.

Ocean Rodeo is officially launching the suit this week at Surf Expo. If you are in Orlando for the show be sure to visit booth 1995 to try one on and take a paddle in the SUP pool!

Ocean Rodeo is officially taking pre-orders now on all sizes of suit with X-Large sizes shipping to customers March 1st and all other sizes shipping June 1st.

Shops can order directly from Ocean Rodeo. Consumers, please call your local Ocean Rodeo dealer or visit us online!

Ocean Rodeo, your SOUL belongs on the water!

Erik Hanson
Drysuit Division Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports
erik@oceanrodeo.com
1.888.544.4969 ext. 280

MEDIA RELEASE

OCEAN RODEO CREATES THE SOUL: A DRYSUIT FOR KITING, SUPING AND SAILING THAT FUSES FORM WITH FUNCTION

VICTORIA B.C. CANADA- Ocean Rodeo Sports has created a unique new drysuit for kiteboarding, stand up paddleboarding (SUP) and sailing. The suit, called THE SOUL is unique in its technology and design. Unlike the “sloppy bag” look of conventional drysuits, this suit looks like a well-tailored snowboard jacket and pants. The SOUL is more flexible than a standard wetsuit and has a customizable level of warmth. This SOUL joins the two other drysuits made by Ocean Rodeo: the SURF DRY (created for surfing and SUP) and the PYRO PRO (created for kiteboarding and SUP). The SOUL is a drysuit that combines new levels of performance, aesthetics and safety for demanding water spot enthusiasts.

The SOUL utilizes innovative technology in every component of the suit. The breathable waterproof material uses a 210 Nylon Oxford face layer for durability and a hydrophilic Gelanots membrane to keep the rider dry by allowing perspiration to pass through and preventing cold water from entering. The self-entry uses hyper pliable T-zip zippers and is enclosed with the jacket which utilizes Ocean Rodeo’s Captive Zip Technology (patent pending). The suit is also equipped with a full hood which comfortably fits over a helmet and can be detached at the rider’s convenience. Other features include, a pee relief zipper, easy self-entry design, boot cuffs, a dry key pocket, a mp3 pocket, two zip-up pockets and a one year warranty on materials and construction.

Safety is fundamental at Ocean Rodeo. Given recent SUP related deaths due to exposure and the increase in novice paddlers on the water, it becomes increasingly important to ensure the appropriate safety gear is available for all watersports. On their website REI, a large dealer in SUP products urges “For cold conditions where hypothermia is a concern, wear a wetsuit or dry suit”. The SOUL allows the rider to customize the level of thermal protection for the appropriate activity and weather condition. Wearing the suit will help protect athletes from the cold and allow them to expand their season.

This aesthetically refined drysuit offers kiters, SUPers and sailors technical protection from the environment

Limited sizes of the SOUL will be available March 1st, 2012 with a full size run available by June 1st, 2012. The SOUL retails at $849USD and will be available through select dealers as well as online. The PYRO PRO and the SURF DRY are in stock and currently available.

Ocean Rodeo is a Canadian company that has been building drysuits for 11 years. Their products have been rigorously tested by SUPers, surfers, sailors and kiteboarders. The company has a passion for enjoying the water and is committed to creating durable and innovative products that allow riders to push the envelope.

For information about the SOUL, SURF DRY, PYRO PRO or any other Ocean Rodeo products please contact Erik Hanson, head of the Ocean Rodeo Drysuit Division.

Erik Hanson
Drysuit Division Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports
erik@oceanrodeo.com
1.888.544.4969 ext. 280

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits

Re: Ocean Rodeo SOUL drysuit, now showing at Surfexpo!

Postby EvanOR » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:11 am

For more detail/images, please go to SOUL drysuit!

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Re: Ocean Rodeo SOUL drysuit, now showing at Surfexpo!

Postby William Munney » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:18 pm

EvanOR wrote:For more detail/images, please go to SOUL drysuit!
Looks good, but you couldn't use GoreTex at that price?

kitegrommet
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ocean Rodeo Soul drysuit, now showing at Surfexpo!

Postby kitegrommet » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:45 pm

Seriously, for $900 buck I can fly twice a winter to a warmer beach.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:41 pm

kitegrommet wrote:Seriously, for $900 buck I can fly twice a winter to a warmer beach.
Yeah, I had to seriously evaluate that train of thought when buying my drysuit. Easy enough to fire off a statement like that but have a closer look at what your talkin about and what your buying when you get this type of suit.

Cost of a weeks trip to a warm "windy" beach is pretty much $900 easy. Sure you can find a cheap trip south to a resort somewhere, but trying to go somewhere windy, with gear, and get around to ride anything off resort is gonna cost about a grand. Cheapest trip for us by far is a drive to Hatteras for a week.... 5-600 bucks cheapest and I think thats fantastic! For guys like me who run our own business, the trip only cost "X" but the time out of the office cost 2X so there is no comparison. Counting lost income, even a bare bones drive south for a week cost me about 3 drysuits. Still, look forward to it every spring.

Now consider that your not guaranteed wind on your trip. Some people get 1/2 the days, some get none, every once in a while you nail it and ride every day. Not that the skunked trip is a complete waste, but were talking about buying time on the water. WIth the suit its pretty much %100. When its drysuit weather you dont drive to the beach if its only 15 knots! Its about never missing the really really good days because its getting cold.

Got about 12 really good sessions in my drysuit this fall and will hit the first good days in spring. Repeat that for the next what?? six years. These kind of suits make the big days on the shoulder of the season into the mainstay of your highlight reel. Have had to get over the weird feeling when driving to the beach in snow flurries wondering if I am starting to lose it! After each session I'm headed home thinking that was nothing but a killer session. No cold, no drama, no brainer! We get better conditions in late fall with all those tasty waves almost to yourself. To miss those days and then try and fluke into a windy trip south is not a good bet for me. The guys around here who make that gamble tend to be the same guys who only get out 15 times a season.

When you buy a suit like this ( I highly recomend the surf dry ) your essentially buying straight up sessions in killer conditions. More of em, and in much better comfort and safety. That my friend is worth more than a few bare bones trips to some all inclusive.

For those of you serious about pusruing this and similar sports in 4 season parts of the planet. Its essential equipment. My dryuit buys me more quality kiting than a big light wind kite! What does a Flysurfe cost again? My big kite is a 10m, and my drysuit is one of the shrewdest gear investments Ive ever made.
Last edited by Starsky on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bsideindy
Medium Poster

Postby bsideindy » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Hey - what gives with the style? maybe I like to look like a member of the Starship Enterprise in my Pyro Pro.

+1 on the pee zip

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:54 pm

I couldn't tell from the pictures how you put the suit on. It looks like it may have a "back zipper". Can a person put the suit on, without help from someone to zip it up? Also, does it have feet (socks) incorporated into the legs?

Also, with any of the "body bag" style drysuits, a person should always wear a life vest, burp out the air, and should never "dive" into deep water, which can force the air up into the legs, and hold you in an upside-down position.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:58 pm

Starsky wrote:
kitegrommet wrote:Seriously, for $900 buck I can fly twice a winter to a warmer beach.
....For those of you serious about pursuing this and similar sports in 4 season parts of the planet. Its essential equipment. My drysuit buys me more quality kiting than a big light wind kite! What does a Flysurfer cost again? My big kite is a 10m, and my drysuit is one of the shrewdest gear investments Ive ever made.
essential it is!
but since you've mentioned the prices, my Gul drysuit cost third of the price of yours and it is still fine after three winters.
and any of my kites costs half of price of yours (unless you got yours with the company discount).

come on OR, do you really want to sell your stuff to the people or you've made only couple of dozens of them and now you are just showing off?

when they started to sell lucifer drysuits i saw one guy riding in it, after cold season it was on classified, and next year there was not a one of those around.

so i don't think it is much of investment, i think it is more like squandering and prodigality

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:05 pm

tomatkins wrote:I couldn't tell from the pictures how you put the suit on. It looks like it may have a "back zipper". Can a person put the suit on, without help from someone to zip it up? Also, does it have feet (socks) incorporated into the legs?
Zipper is an arc from chest around the back of the neck like a yoke and back to the chest. See their website for detailed pics.

http://oceanrodeo.com/drysuits/soul#tprod_gallery

No socks. Ankle cuffs just like the wrists.
tomatkins wrote: never "dive" into deep water, which can force the air up into the legs, and hold you in an upside-down position.
Never thought of that one!

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:27 pm

+1 I'm with the stupid!

Having extended my open-water season past December for the fist time this winter, made me question the cold-weather riding all-together. To be honest, I found that the fun-factor was gone south long time ago! :oops: So as such, I'd prefer to smoke bamboo for one whole week with no wind down South than ride with no fun, on top of freezing my balls of up here.

Now, as far as the whole drysuit-thingy goes, having went through 2 different OR drysuits during last year, I was very freaking happy to unload both of them after the first session. Maybe i'm too hairy, by neither of the 2 suits that i've tried was "dry" enough at the end. So if the damn thing can't keep me dry to begin with, I'd rather ride in a warm and wet steamer from the start. And, b.t.w. for 900$ you can get at least a couple of top-of-the-line steamers.

Along with my friends who had a similar experience we came to the conclusion that drysuits are for lawnmower-type of riders, because as soon as you start doing anything radical that involves falling into the water, leg a hand seals start pissing.

What's the point?

Return to “Kitesurfing”