v1rotate
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

HQ Apex 3 5m Issue

Postby v1rotate » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:44 am

Hello,

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere but I could not find it using the search function.

I have just started snow kiting about a month ago, I bought the HQ Apex 3 5m with a peter lynn harness. The kite and harness were brand new when I purchased them.

I am just wondering if the Depower is behaving the way it should be. When I first got the kite the depower was acting completely reverse to what it should be, if I pull the bar towards me, the kite would not fly at all (stall) and if I push the bar towards the kite, the kite would pull and the power (and angle of attack) would seem to increase.

After this first session I realized there were several adjustment knots for the front lines, so I tried shortening the front lines and the kite behaved much better but still not completely the way I think it is supposed to. I have the front lines set on the shortest setting and when I move the bar towards me the kite will go down but maybe increase in power a little bit (part of this I think is because of it moving towards the power zone.) When I move the bar away the kite will move up, towards the zenith if I have the kite horizontal. It is hard to notice an increase or decrease in power when moving the bar other than the kite will move up or down. I am just wondering if this is the way the kite is supposed to fly or is there something I am missing?

Sorry for the long first post!

Bucko
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bozeman MT
Favorite Beaches: Any and all
Style: snowkite and landboard
Gear: Blackdiamond Havocs, GI patrole 160, HQ scout 3m, soon to ride Ozone depowers.

Re: HQ Apex 3 5m Issue

Postby Bucko » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:44 am

Hi there, welcome to kiting.

It sounds like your kite is set up properly. By pulling in on the bar you are shortening the back lines and stalling the kite. By letting the bar out the kite is able to fly forward, and by nature generate some pull. The experience of pushing the bar out for less power, and pulling in for more power, will be felt as the kite maintains some momentum. To sine the kite ,and get moving across the snow, try the following. When you want to turn the kite, pull the bar in as you turn, and then push the bar away as soon as the kite is heading in the desired direction. The kite will speed up with the bar out, and slow down with the bar in. If the kite has momentum, you will notice an increase in power as the bar is pulled in. Once you are moving across/ up wind, and in strong enough winds, you will be able to push the bar out to decrease power, and pull in to increase power as you initially expected. I highly recommend that you practice flying the kite in winds around 7-10 mph until you feel in control. I learned a majority of my kite handeling skills, while trying to keep a kite flying in light winds. Finally,you "depowered" the kite by shortening the front lines. This can be a good thing as the kite will be harder to stall. If, however, the kite seems reluctant to turn you may want to lengthen the front lines one knot at a time.

Good luck, wear a helmet, and try to find an experienced kiter to help you
in person.

v1rotate
Rare Poster

Postby v1rotate » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:15 am

Thanks, that sounds right.

I have had a chance to try the kite in most wind ranges, with the higher winds being pretty crazy!
Once you are moving across/ up wind, and in strong enough winds, you will be able to push the bar out to decrease power, and pull in to increase power as you initially expected.
When I do this should I be trying to keep the kite in the same spot? Or should I let it move up/down as I move the bar?

Thanks again!

Bucko
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bozeman MT
Favorite Beaches: Any and all
Style: snowkite and landboard
Gear: Blackdiamond Havocs, GI patrole 160, HQ scout 3m, soon to ride Ozone depowers.

Postby Bucko » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:55 am

If the winds are strong enough you will be able to keep the kite in the same position as you move allong with it. Essentially you will be pushin or pulling the bar to keep the kite in a zone where it provides constant pull. When there is a sudden increase in wind speed, pushing the bar away will decrease the power. If you are having to sine the kite to keep moving, the movements of the bar are primarily for steering purposes. Another point is that you only release the bar to the point of slight tension in the back lines, think of that moment right before a rubber band starts to stretch. By only releasing the bar to this point, you will be able to feel how the kite is behaving, and initiate turns quicker.

I hope all this makes some sense as you experiment.

Return to “Snow / Land”