Gear: ive got a old naish oar 7.5 qm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

heeelp

Postby tofu » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:16 am

hi there.

ive found a naish 7.oar3.5 tubekite.
i have started to rig it up and have the idea to spend as less money as possible(D.I.Y. OR DIE). But i need some advices
in first place, i found just the kite itself and the pump, later in the day i bought from my local kite shop a set of 4 ropes each 40m up to 250 kg.
this morning ive started to build a bar from a bicicle stearing, bullhorns, ropes......
.....im quite satisfied with it.

in addition i have my harness(petzl navaho work-harness) and my snowboard gear.

now im having a very hard time to figure out how to set the bridels up..
ive made drawing and i need somebody to explain me how to attach the bridels and ropes.

regards from oslo,norway
tofu
Attachments
naish+7.oar3.5.jpg
naish+7.oar3.5.jpg (12.88 KiB) Viewed 1766 times

Windgumby
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bighorns, Beartooths, Pryors
Gear: Ozone, Patagonia, Black Diamond

Re: heeelp

Postby Windgumby » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:04 am

tofu wrote:(D.I.Y. OR DIE)

I'm scared!

tofu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: oslo

Postby tofu » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:18 am

ok, youre scared :wink: , but i would really like to rig this kite up any tips

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:24 pm

Tofu,

Any idea how old the kite is? From you post, I couldn't tell how big you said it is.

The attachment points on the trailing edge shown in your sketch are very puzzling. None of the kites I've seen have those (at least not tube kites). The wingtip attachment points are your steering line (outer) attachment points, and connect to the ends of your control bar. The one(s) more toward the middle are you center line attachment points, and connect through your bar to your harness with a chicken loop. Exactly how the bridle is attached depends on the year/model/size. Some kites have a pulley that semi-connects the center line to the steering line. Bridle configuration and lengths are absolutely critical, and if it's a big kite, could be a killer (literally) if they're not set up correctly.

Safety connections are critical. You need a totally reliable quick release system for your chicken loop. You need a totally reliable quick release system for your kite leash. These are not systems you can just put together from hardware store items. Not even from sailing store items. That's part of the reason control bars are so expensive. The parts are designed specifically for their intended purpose, and so are not "off the shelf" items. They're manufactured in very small production runs. If you are going to kite, don't cheap out on the control bar. One made out of bicycle handlebars could kill you. Get a used bar on e-Bay. It might save your life.

Don

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:15 pm

It's a Naish AR3.5 7m kite from like 1999. It's a marketing gimmick to get 2-line guys into 4-line kites. I believe there was a simple 2-line bridle to fly in 2-line mode. If you wanted a 4-line, the tips were rolled up and cable tied to square off the wingtips. I'm not sure if the bridle was used in 4-line mode or not. There was confusion with this kite back in 2000, probably should put this one back were you found it. :lol:

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby rvrrat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 pm

:nono: I can see this post is gonna draw alot of attention. I think you should take both of these guys advice. Be scared and get the correct pieces you need to complete your kite. What makes this sport so awesome is the same thing that can kill you! JR

wadoepotatoe
Rare Poster

Postby wadoepotatoe » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:23 pm

this sounds like a terrible idea. you are seriously putting yourself at risk, others at risk, your kite location at risk and the sport at risk. please use the proper gear!

-wade.

tofu
Rare Poster
Local Beach: oslo

Postby tofu » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:46 pm

ok, ok, ill listen your advice, and dump the kite :cry: save up some money for a used kitekit. :D

greets tofu

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Trash it, the bar itself will cost alot of cash.
If you do decide for a two line kite, you'll need long leader attachments, the pullys are for a x of line attactments that enable the kite to turn on 2 lines. Plus you'll need a 3rd line for reverse launch. Bar will need to be set up and tuned. This is way way over your head.
If you decide on the 4 line you roll up the edges to the first attachment points, attach your expensive bar and lines, you'll be able to fly it, but you'll need a reverse launch 5th line.
This is way over your head.
Spend some money on a lessen if you have not, if you have buy a old used Bow kite.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:25 pm

tofu wrote: this morning ive started to build a bar from a bicicle stearing, bullhorns, ropes......
Pictures please. Where does the bullhorn go??????

Return to “Snow / Land”